PDA

View Full Version : Old Racing Charts

mistergee
05-03-2018, 03:49 PM
would appreciate if anyone knows best place to find old racing charts from the 70's thank you

Saratoga_Mike
05-03-2018, 05:41 PM
Try the University of KY - they have an archive, I believe.

vegasone
05-03-2018, 11:13 PM
If it is still there, near Santa Anita was a place (DRF office I think) that had that info. Should be able to find someplace with the old chart books or microfiche.

The Daily Racing Form began publishing as a 4-page newspaper in 1894 in Chicago. Originally, the Form reported the results or "form charts" of horse racing at major tracks in the United States, Cuba, and Mexico. In 1971, the Daily Racing Form absorbed the entertainment broadsheet, The Morning Telegraph, to become the Eastern Edition of the Daily Racing Form. The Western Edition emerged in 1984. Today, the DRF publishes over 2,000 pages of editorial and statistical content 364 days a year.

The Daily Racing Form collection at the Keeneland Library comprises approximately 3,700 hardbound folio volumes in 3 editions representing more than 113 years of racing history. Included are the Eastern, Midwestern, and Western editions of the Daily Racing Form as well as the long-established entertainment broadsheet, The Morning Telegraph. When The Morning Telegraph ceased in 1971, the Eastern Edition of the Daily Racing Form became the premier daily representing the tracks on the east coast.

In 2007, the Keeneland Association and the University of Kentucky Libraries formed a partnership to develop a preservation and access plan for the Keeneland Association's nearly complete collection of the Daily Racing Form and its predecessor title, The Morning Telegraph.

wilderness
05-06-2018, 03:37 AM
the DRF YearBooks (Charts) may be found at some of the larger used book stores. They always had some at King Books in Detroit.

Check the abebooks website.

clocker7
05-06-2018, 05:52 AM
There are several horse racing libraries that allow the public to use them. Across from SA is the Burke Library and the staff is very nice. Keeneland Library on the grounds .... same. The National Museum of Racing at Saratoga has them, but I am not sure how open the access is. The National Sporting Library in Middleburg VA is open to the public, the last time I checked.

The chart books also exist at Emerald Downs. However, one must have a spendy membership, and also say pretty please because they are not housed within the library proper.

There is a woman on the internet who used to be the editor of the American Racing Manual. She has an awesome library and used to promise answers to limited questions. But it seems that her enthusiasm for the sport has dampened, and my few contacts never resulted in much.

http://www.phalarisproject.com/archives.htm

Or visit my garage. I have a wall of them in heavy cardboard boxes, and not organized whatsoever. It might mean moving tons of books until getting to the ones you want. :p

There also are professional researchers who will do what you ask. They usually charge by the hour with a minimum that usually is 3 figures. I could steer you if you are interested.

Or let me know. I have helped people with a few answers by using online newspaper archives, rather than plowing through my mountain of chart books.