PDA

View Full Version : Workmans Comp Scandal

CryingForTheHorses
08-28-2004, 11:26 PM
Just heard this today!!
Seems some guy from Georgia has scammed several trainers here at Calder,Selling them workmans comp policies.!Their workmans comp was revoked and several horses were scratched from the Calder card. This has affected around 15 to 20 trainers I am told,They have 1 week to get new workmans comp or they will be ejected off the grounds along with their horses.They are not even allowed to take the horses ut of their barns! This is absurd as workmans comp says they are not writing any new policies, What are these trainers going to do,I myself have looked into workmans comp for my wife and I and they want 5k up front with it costing me 2.5 k every 6 months..Also seems they are checking other trainers making sure they dont have MORE workers on their workmans comp then reported. If anything is going to kill horseracing..It will be the workmans comp issue. Something needs to be done!!!

kenwoodallpromos
08-29-2004, 03:38 PM
Vets, farriers and others do not need workers' comp.
Maybe someone will start an independent business doing some racehors care so as not to need wortkers' comp.

CryingForTheHorses
08-29-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by kenwoodallpromos
Vets, farriers and others do not need workers' comp.
Maybe someone will start an independent business doing some racehors care so as not to need wortkers' comp.

Is this how it is in Cali Ken?
Your post is confusing the hell out of me, Why wouldnt a vet or blacksmith not need workmans comp?. They do have employees, Horses can be dangerous and people do get hurt, I also see several horses scratched from a 8k claimer today, Dont know if its the "new state vet" who checks the horses or workmans comp issue.This workmans comp has everybody by the you know what. Yes they do need someone to compete with their market as they do have it sewn up..Any ideas?

Equineer
08-30-2004, 12:26 AM
In many states, compliance with Work Comp legislation costs far more than many agribusiness sectors can afford. This applies to food processing, farming and, ranching. If an employer complies, his costs soar in comparison to competion in neighboring states where WC costs are much lower.

In some states, WC overhead can add more than $2,000 per year to the maintenance cost of each racehorse in training. The average racehorse does not earn enough to support this burden. At some tracks, strictly-enforced WC expenses compared to average horse earnings would exceed something that we all detest... the takeout percentage on our wagers!

One helpful measure would be a national WC program so that the playing field would be level for employers in all states. Such a program should consider the plight of low-wage employees who will lose their jobs if the government drives their industry to other countries.

As things stand, rather than fix the problem, some states waver back and forth with respect to enforcement of WC laws in fragile employment sectors. It sounds like Florida is currently going through a crackdown cycle.

JustRalph
08-30-2004, 12:49 AM
Check out these old threads on the subject......

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9055&highlight=california+workers+comp

See the 2nd page of this thread....the last post.....the bettors picked up the tab on a pick 6 ticket.........

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12119&perpage=15&highlight=california%20workers%20comp&pagenumber=2

This one has some info too.......

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7683&highlight=california+workers+comp

More here too.....

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5268&highlight=california+workers+comp

kenwoodallpromos
08-30-2004, 11:14 PM
A vet or farrier has an independent business, no worker's comp required on the owner. If someone contracts as an independent business person to walk, groom, etc. the horses there should be no worker's comp required.
All depends on the way the law reads.

Tuffmug
08-31-2004, 02:55 AM
There is danger in independant contractor relationship. Independant contractor can sue for compensation and damages. Employee cannot sue because of the workmans comp insurance legislation in effect. The workmans comp insurance scheme was designed to protect the employer from lawsuits more than it was designed to protect the employee from harm.

hurrikane
08-31-2004, 11:15 AM
this is exacty the case. WC is really just a form or on the job health insurance. And like all health insureance the rates are going through the roof.

The solution to high insurance rates. Make everyone an IC. Then you owe them nothing. They also owe you nothing. This is a big problem in the computer industry where turnover is very very high. Most companies will not spend the time to train which makes it very tough on people coming out of college or retooling to get good jobs.

A lot of this change occured when the Clintons planned to make business supply insurance and subsidize the cost. Solution..don't hire anyone direct.

Tuffmug is also right...the only people that make out in this deal will the trial attorneys.