05-01-2018, 11:33 AM
With jockeys and morning lines:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DcHxrP3V0AcILyg.jpg

Tom
05-01-2018, 11:34 AM
Firenze Fire extinguished.

Hoops McCann
05-01-2018, 11:36 AM
didn't realize they were doing this today. looks like a good post for eventual winner Mendelsshon.

AirNate012
05-01-2018, 11:37 AM
Seems to me like the major players in the race all drew well.

PowerUpPaynter
05-01-2018, 11:38 AM
Bolt drew great for the kind of trip he wants to carve out.

upthecreek
05-01-2018, 11:46 AM
http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/op-ed-a-better-way-to-assign-kentucky-derby-post-positions/#.WuiJqVLDyzQ.twitter

Immortal6
05-01-2018, 11:50 AM
First thought is that Mendelssohn got about as good a gate as he could hope for. If there were a year to break the UAE curse this is it. Second thought, extremely happy PF drew gate 3 as we will have a derby with a hot pace up front. Third thought, Firenze Fire defects and gives up his gate to Blended Citizen (a horse I'm keen on) and get a rail ride to close for a piece and blow up the exotics ala Lookin At Lee from last year.

LoneF
05-01-2018, 11:53 AM
Bolt drew great for the kind of trip he wants to carve out.

Nobody drew better than Mendelssohn. With the horses drawn to his inside not having a lot of speed for several post positions he should be able to easily cross over just a bit to get the perfect trip from the outside watching PF and Flameaway going at it ...

He has no horse on his outside because of the aux gate and bravazo doesn’t have much gate speed on his inside so very little chance of not getting a clean break ....

Justify on the other hand has horses on both sides of him that can pop the gate and what does Justify do ? Does he rush up and join the speed duel from his inside or does he try to hang back and risk getting crushed from the outside horses ? Of course if he does his normal and breaks a step slow than he’s shuffled back and doesn’t matter anyways his race is over but I am sure all that experience he has in racing in big fields will come in handy ... oh wait lol

Maybe PF and Flameaway will just hand him the lead like Bolt did in the SA Derby !!

So much money to be made betting against Justify !!!!

Robert Fischer
05-01-2018, 11:53 AM
I think Smith would trade :7: for Magnum Moon's :16:, but no excuses for the 7 post.

Combatant must have broken a mirror on the farm at some point

Southwest - post 9/10
Rebel - post 10/10
Arkansas Derby - post 9/9
KENTUCKY DERBY - post 20/20

PaceAdvantage
05-01-2018, 12:02 PM
So much money to be made betting against Justify !!!!#TrollBot

I take it if Justify wins, we'll never see you around here again (at least under the LoneF name).

Vinnie
05-01-2018, 12:08 PM
#TrollBot

I take it if Justify wins, we'll never see you around here again (at least under the LoneF name).

Lone Frick'in Gunman from the X Files.... Been here a month and you would think that he is Jeff Powers or someone else from the annals of RPM fame...

PowerUpPaynter
05-01-2018, 12:17 PM
Good Magic drew kinda tough sandwiched in between 2 better horses.

LoneF
05-01-2018, 12:18 PM
#TrollBot

If I am wrong about Justify and Mendelssohn than I guarantee I will be back here to eat crow.

Spalding No!
05-01-2018, 12:20 PM
Third thought, Firenze Fire defects and gives up his gate to Blended Citizen (a horse I'm keen on) and get a rail ride to close for a piece and blow up the exotics ala Lookin At Lee from last year.
If there is a scratch, the also-eligible horse (Blended Citizen) would assume the outer most post position.

Free Drop Billy would shift over to the rail.

PaceAdvantage
05-01-2018, 12:25 PM
If I am wrong about Justify and Mendelssohn than I guarantee I will be back here to eat crow.Cool :ThmbUp:

Hope you cash regardless.

jay68802
05-01-2018, 12:35 PM
If I am wrong about Justify and Mendelssohn than I guarantee I will be back here to eat crow.

I was at Fonner one afternoon and was feeling a little confident. I loudly proclaimed that the :1:, a horse named Doug, would not win the next race. A guy that I had seen before but did not know, stated that he thought Doug would win. So I stated that if Doug won I would buy a round of drinks for everyone in the bar. There were about 150 to 200 people there. It cost me $698.00, but that included the tip. Ooops...

The guy that I was talking to was the owner of Doug.

headhawg
05-01-2018, 12:57 PM
Post position is just one factor. Can you measure how much it hurts/improves a particular horse? Doubtful. I wouldn't change my mind about a horse because of the draw. It's like trying to predict trips. That's way more important, imo, than post position, but can you make accurate predictions about the trips 20 horses will get? Or even the "contenders"? Again, doubtful. Any of these 3yos can stumble out of the gate, veer out/veer in at the start, etc. The best 3yo may not even win the Derby. Stuff happens.

wisconsin
05-01-2018, 12:58 PM
Justify on the other hand has horses on both sides of him that can pop the gate and what does Justify do ? Does he rush up and join the speed duel from his inside or does he try to hang back and risk getting crushed from the outside horses ? Of course if he does his normal and breaks a step slow than he’s shuffled back and doesn’t matter anyways his race is over but I am sure all that experience he has in racing in big fields will come in handy ... oh wait lol

Funniest thing LoneF has written all week. And you have to admit, it's pretty spot on.

GMB@BP
05-01-2018, 01:09 PM

It will take a lot more than 1 race for you to be right or wrong.

Your saying Justify is all hype

we will have to wait until his career is over to be able to make any definitive statements.

Immortal6
05-01-2018, 01:15 PM
If there is a scratch, the also-eligible horse (Blended Citizen) would assume the outer most post position.

:bang: I should have known that, no different than an AE in any other race taking the outside post. For some reason I was thinking they would just exchange post positions.

f2tornado
05-01-2018, 01:16 PM
Funniest thing LoneF has written all week. And you have to admit, it's pretty spot on.

It is but Justify did score a decent hole for his style assuming, as LoneF pointed out, he doesn't break a step slow like he did in his first two starts. It will be interesting with the rabbit in the 3 hole to his inside.

My bomber gimmicks plays Hofburg and Lone Sailor drew good posts but I'm not thrilled with the 18 for Vino Rosso. He should get a clean break and the far outside fits his style more than deep inside. He had no trouble running wide in the Wood.

Overall, it doesn't appear the draw will have any impact on my wagering.

BlueChip@DRF
05-01-2018, 01:18 PM
Isn't it like 3F straight until the first turn?

Spalding No!
05-01-2018, 01:54 PM
Justify on the other hand has horses on both sides of him that can pop the gate and what does Justify do ? Does he rush up and join the speed duel from his inside or does he try to hang back and risk getting crushed from the outside horses ?
Here's a perfect example of why you have no credibility here and really for all intents and purposes ought to be banned:

(1) When proven wrong with some of your filth, you don't admit your error but later have the audacity to usurp the facts as if you were in command of them all along.

(2) You nevertheless spew out more filth that is so clearly pulled from thin air simply to suit your bias and validate a dreamed up scenario you hope will happen.

Justify has "horses on both sides of him that can pop the gate". Really? To his inside he has Good Magic. To his outside he has he has Lone Sailor.

Here's what you said about Good Magic last week:

"With his lack of really good gate speed he could never overcome..."

Of course, I smashed your statement into smithereens twice over but instead of coming clean that you don't know what you are talking about, you simply Led Zeppelinize the browbeating you took.

I would be flattered except for now we have to deal with Lone Sailor's ability to "pop the gate". Of course, true to form, Lone Sailor has broken slowly in at least half of his 8 career starts.

Anyone who can read a race chart, a running line, past performances, or can watch a race replay knows you are full of it. Good job. I don't really think you can outdo yourself from here on out.

Enjoy the gallop out.

PaceAdvantage
05-01-2018, 02:00 PM
I like Spalding No! way too much to let someone like LoneF ruin his party here...so points well taken Spalding...points well taken.

davew
05-01-2018, 04:23 PM
I like this years race. As far as I am concerned no real stand-outs with 4-5 very similar, with another 5 just behind. The pay-offs will be HUGE.

Afleet
05-01-2018, 04:48 PM
I was at Fonner one afternoon and was feeling a little confident. I loudly proclaimed that the :1:, a horse named Doug, would not win the next race. A guy that I had seen before but did not know, stated that he thought Doug would win. So I stated that if Doug won I would buy a round of drinks for everyone in the bar. There were about 150 to 200 people there. It cost me $698.00, but that included the tip. Ooops...

Great story!

boys at tosconova
05-01-2018, 05:14 PM

obv cocktails played no role in this bet

boys at tosconova
05-01-2018, 05:22 PM

wut an awesome reward for free drop billy..............lol

boys at tosconova
05-01-2018, 05:25 PM
Anyone who can read a race chart, a running line, past performances, or can watch a race replay knows you are full of it. Good job. I don't really think you can outdo yourself from here on out.

Enjoy the gallop out.

http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Omg-Midget-Wrestler-Is-Shocked-On-WWE.gif

MNslappy
05-02-2018, 12:13 AM
Enjoy the gallop out.

:lol:

SAVAGE

Parkview_Pirate
05-02-2018, 05:03 AM
http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Omg-Midget-Wrestler-Is-Shocked-On-WWE.gif

:lol:

That's what I love about this time of year. The internet provides an endless supply of trash talking, but Triple Crown Trash Talking raises it to a whole new level.

Not a bad name for a horse, actually. "And down the stretch they come, TC Trash Talkin' now surging to the lead!"

Heymirth
05-02-2018, 09:01 AM
I try to do this every year and most times it helps me to figure out Who to throw out.