PDA

View Full Version : Silver Star Fraud?

JustRalph
08-28-2004, 05:32 PM
Kerry citation a 'total mystery' to ex-Navy chief

August 28, 2004

BY THOMAS LIPSCOMB Advertisement

Former Navy Secretary John Lehman has no idea where a Silver Star citation displayed on Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry's campaign Web site came from, he said Friday. The citation appears over Lehman's signature.

"It is a total mystery to me. I never saw it. I never signed it. I never approved it. And the additional language it contains was not written by me," he said.

The additional language varied from the two previous citations, signed first by Adm. Elmo Zumwalt and then Adm. John Hyland, which themselves differ. The new material added in the Lehman citation reads in part: "By his brave actions, bold initiative, and unwavering devotion to duty, Lieutenant (jg) Kerry reflected great credit upon himself...."

Asked how the citation could have been executed over his signature without his knowledge, Lehman said: "I have no idea. I can only imagine they were signed by an autopen." The autopen is a device often used in the routine execution of executive documents in government.

Kerry senior adviser Michael Meehan could not be reached for comment on Kerry's records.

Tom
08-28-2004, 05:41 PM
Ooops.

Uh oh.

ponyplayer
08-28-2004, 08:58 PM
Oh my! :rolleyes: what a surprise.

ElKabong
08-29-2004, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by JustRalph
Kerry citation a 'total mystery' to ex-Navy chief

"It is a total mystery to me. I never saw it. I never signed it. I never approved it. And the additional language it contains was not written by me," he said.

LOL.....Heeeere seccy, seccy, secy. seccy :)

Sec.....Any guesses on how Kerry got this document signed off? The first two guesses don't count.

boxcar
08-29-2004, 07:55 AM
Now it makes sense why Lehman (former Sec of Navy) on the Fox New Channel actually supported lively debate over the Kerry's war record.

Boxcar

Equineer
08-29-2004, 09:10 AM
When I was in the Air Force, "Good enough for government work" and "Don't rock the boat" were generally accepted attitudes. The military paperwork for both Bush and Kerry could easily be full of mistakes. The date on my DD-256-AF honorable discharge certificate is off by two years... so if I were to run for office, I guess I would have to claim that I actually served for 6 years in order to avoid crucifixion by the muckrakers. Both sides are running campaigns that insult our intelligence!!!

Equineer
08-29-2004, 11:38 AM
BTW, since Lehman was Secretary of the Navy from 5 Feb 1981 - 10 Apr 1987 (http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq37-1.htm) long after Kerry served, is it surprising that additional language added to the citation over his signature is probably just another example of generic boilerplate BS. I would bet that "brave actions, bold initiative, and unwavering devotion to duty" appears on plenty of other citations bearing Lehman's signature.

JustRalph
08-29-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Equineer
BTW, since Lehman was Secretary of the Navy from 5 Feb 1981 - 10 Apr 1987 (http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq37-1.htm) long after Kerry served, is it surprising that additional language added to the citation over his signature is probably just another example of generic boilerplate BS. I would bet that "brave actions, bold initiative, and unwavering devotion to duty" appears on plenty of other citations bearing Lehman's signature.

this is right on. I posted about how this crap happened when I was in the Air Farce. One of My Favorites was

"Outstanding in his field"

how about

"with little supervision he accomplished tasks beyond his years and showed great initiative"

This kind of shit is written all over everything from unit citations and transitory letters of recommendation to the kind of crap Kerry received. Typical Military double talk. You have to remember that the U.S. Military is where the term 'Sanitation Engineer" was coined...........

lsbets
08-29-2004, 03:17 PM
Language on an award citation tells you very, very little about what the person did to actually merit an award. There is standard language that goes on virtually every award. You add some more verbage depending on the level of award, and almost al of the end with:

" his outstanding courage, dedication to duty, and initiative bring great credit upon himself, his unit, and the United States Army."

I could write that line in my sleep, because that is what is expected on every award I write. If I don't put it there the award gets kicked back with it pencilled in for correction.