PDA

View Full Version : Tri or pick-3 ?

BIG RED
08-28-2004, 09:46 AM
I dabble in exotics every now and then. I'm strictly a win bettor. But I was thinking of late which is the 'easier' bet to me. The trifecta or the pick-3? To me it would be the pick-3. Some how I think it would be 'easier' to pick 3 winners from 3 races instead of picking the winner and then second and third, in that order (could be because I am a win bettor )

What do you think. Remember, I'm talking one shot, exact, no keys or boxes. I know each race differs and makes things tougher, and the track picks the races of what they offer and when. I'm more interested in the human aspect, not the numbers. Which one are you more comfortable with and why?

BIG RED

OTM Al
08-28-2004, 09:18 PM
To me this depends solely on field sizes. If there are big fields, 8 or better, then I like to go with the tri. If fields tend to be small, then I will build p3s. Seems to be the best way to get value out of the bets to me.

ratpack
09-04-2004, 12:34 AM
Some people I know do not play pick 3 because they have been burned a number of times in 1 leg. Win 2 out of 3 get nothing.

It can prey on your mind.

At least with Tri you win or lose and then move on to the next rase.

Its been awhile since I read it but I can't remember Pizolla betting P3 in Handicapping magic.

Tom
09-04-2004, 10:25 AM
I am mostly a win bettor myself, so I have always like the daily double, which you don' thear a lot of talk about anymore. There are usually at least two per card and the thing about thme is that I am lookoing for winners in both halves. Exactas, tris, etc. are outside my comfort range, although I do play exactas, probably way too many of them, but the mindset of eliminating a horse from win consideration and them later looking at him for place or show just doesn't cross my neural net that well.
When I play an exacta, I find myself looking for a winner that might get nipped for the bottom spot instead of a place horse.
Pic 3 and Pic 4 would also be more to my liking for this reason, but I don't play these enough becase too many of the mandatory races are just not playable for me.

so.cal.fan
09-04-2004, 10:38 AM
It's all what you are most comfortable with.
I like the trifecta because when I bet, I bet at the track live, and get to look at the horses before I bet......usually, but not always, have an edge.
I don't bet the tri, just to win, but my husband bets the tri....exacta and sometimes the superfecta and does better than I do.
Again, it's all a matter of what you are comfortable with.

BIG RED
09-04-2004, 10:44 AM
TOM, you should like p-3's then, kind of like a doubledouble (R1-R2, R2-R3 :D )

OTM. I definitely understand the value aspect, but it sounds like you would be making more than a single bet. To pick a tri 1-2-3 in a 12 horse feild is much tougher than a 7 horse feild. Everyone I know key and box tris and p-3's, but if you only had one play, would it be a tri or p-3? See my point, I would go for the p-3.