PDA

View Full Version : The Official Data Provider For The NFL?

jay68802
04-16-2018, 07:11 PM
http://www.thelines.com/pga-tour-official-data/

"If you’re having a hard time understanding how good data relates to sports betting, you aren’t alone. The missing factor here is the belief that illegal sports books use unofficial data — data that could push bettors to place money based on data that just isn’t accurate. Crap in, crap out, basically, official-data proponents say."

I find this quote interesting. Bettors of this sport use Official Data on a daily basis. Horse player's have been blessed with a Official Data provider for a long time now. Our Official Data provider does a very good job on getting the date a horse last ran, right. They also get the track, race number, the class of the race, the final odds, the jockey, and the trainer correct.

They also have a problem with owner, equipment, medications, run up, distance, "lengths back", and timing.

Proponents for a Official Data Provider for sports wagering say that bad data is "Crap in, crap out, basically". While the Official Data Provider for horse racing just say's "We don't give a crap."

lamboguy
04-16-2018, 08:52 PM
http://www.thelines.com/pga-tour-official-data/

"If you’re having a hard time understanding how good data relates to sports betting, you aren’t alone. The missing factor here is the belief that illegal sports books use unofficial data — data that could push bettors to place money based on data that just isn’t accurate. Crap in, crap out, basically, official-data proponents say."

I find this quote interesting. Bettors of this sport use Official Data on a daily basis. Horse player's have been blessed with a Official Data provider for a long time now. Our Official Data provider does a very good job on getting the date a horse last ran, right. They also get the track, race number, the class of the race, the final odds, the jockey, and the trainer correct.

They also have a problem with owner, equipment, medications, run up, distance, "lengths back", and timing.

Proponents for a Official Data Provider for sports wagering say that bad data is "Crap in, crap out, basically". While the Official Data Provider for horse racing just say's "We don't give a crap."there is always a problem with using something in the past to predict the future. i know you can't make any money with the past!

Dave Schwartz
04-16-2018, 09:44 PM
When one searches for past data to study - at anything except horse racing - more than enough can be found for free.

For example, at RetroSheet.org (http://www.retrosheet.org/) I downloaded downloaded all of the play-by-play data for over 100 YEARS of MLB!

The NFL and NBA have similar sites.

Pretty amazing.

Dave

AstrosFan
04-16-2018, 11:19 PM
It sure as hell isn't Equibase :lol:

Thank god for that!

jay68802
04-16-2018, 11:22 PM
there is always a problem with using something in the past to predict the future. i know you can't make any money with the past!

That's is why it is called handicapping, not betting on 1/9's. I understand some of the information not being reported correctly. The problem is that at tracks that use a "tracking system" to provide the times of a race, the information of run up, and therefor total distance, and the time each horse ran the race is available, but not published. Why?

Tom
04-17-2018, 11:19 AM
Can you imagine if the NFL used the same timing people racing does?

45 minute games, 7 hour games, scores of 114-89...:lol:
Half the team retires during half time.:lol:

jay68802
04-17-2018, 12:29 PM
Can you imagine if the NFL used the same timing people racing does?

45 minute games, 7 hour games, scores of 114-89...:lol:
Half the team retires during half time.:lol:

The good news would be, you could watch your favorite player play in the first half, retire at halftime, and have his uniform retired between the 3rd and 4th quarters.