PDA

View Full Version : Who are the “pushbutton” contenders?

SkunkApe
04-15-2018, 12:25 AM
I think:

Audible - yes
Justify - no

Others?

LoneF
04-15-2018, 10:51 AM
You have 5 horses that have really seemed to have separated themselves from the rest of the pack as far as having a legitimate shot at winning. In no particular order ....

Audible
Mendelssohn
Magnum Moon
Justify
Good Magic

SkunkApe
04-15-2018, 11:06 AM
Although I agree with your list, I meant more like horses who have ability to suddenly accelerate (or decelerate.) That's the meaning of "push button" as I understand it.

LoneF
04-15-2018, 11:34 AM
Although I agree with your list, I meant more like horses who have ability to suddenly accelerate (or decelerate.) That's the meaning of "push button" as I understand it.

I will give you a price horse that has that acceleration your talking about.

Runaway Ghost

jay68802
04-15-2018, 11:38 AM
My top 3.

:1: Justify

:1a: Mendelssohn

:2: Magnum Moon

CincyHorseplayer
04-15-2018, 11:53 AM
Pushbutton I say Mendelssohn, Audible, Vino Rosso. Bolt Doro to a lesser extent. I think he can stalk and pounce though.

High cruising speed I say Justify, Magnum Moon.

Peripheral-Good Magic, Flameaway

Have no idea how I will play the race but will play jacked up pick 3's and P4 to the top 4.

LoneF
04-15-2018, 12:18 PM
Pushbutton I say Mendelssohn, Audible, Vino Rosso. Bolt Doro to a lesser extent. I think he can stalk and pounce though.

Have no idea how I will play the race but will play jacked up pick 3's and P4 to the top 4.

Your looking at the race almost exactly the same way I am, with the exception of Vino Rosso . I am still not a big fan even after his win in the Wood but everything else looks spot on.

SecretAgentMan
04-15-2018, 01:25 PM
I will give you a price horse that has that acceleration your talking about.

Runaway Ghost

He's been scratched, injury

LoneF
04-15-2018, 01:48 PM
He's been scratched, injury

Yeah I just heard this morning. I was planning on using him in the super. There will probably be a few more to scratch out before race day.

SkunkApe
04-15-2018, 01:50 PM

Yes. I see Justify more as "high cruising speed" than "push button".

Audible, he's the type I can see shooting through a gap. Justify needs to be spooled up, I think.

What is "peripheral" in this context?

CincyHorseplayer
04-15-2018, 02:02 PM
Yes. I see Justify more as "high cruising speed" than "push button".

Audible, he's the type I can see shooting through a gap. Justify needs to be spooled up, I think.

What is "peripheral" in this context?

Just can't throw those out but do not think of them as highly as the rest.

LoneF
04-15-2018, 02:08 PM
I look at Mendelssohn as having that California Chrome type of excelleration where he will be able to quickly open up 3 lengths on the field whenever Ryan Moore asks him to.

f2tornado
04-15-2018, 02:29 PM
I didn’t see a horse with true push button acceleration like I witnesssed when American Pharoah won the Rebel. Audible certainly found a gear in Florida but it looked better due to totally collapsed pace. Moon dialed up the most impressive closing fractions but after a pedestrian 3/4. Likewise with Justify and Bolt. I envision an average 3/4 mike fraction in the Derby then then it’s up to the pilots to time their moves. If any of those have a fair trip they could be dangerous late.

Robert Fischer
04-15-2018, 03:20 PM
Mendelssohn looks very push-button. He could sit in the 2nd or 3rd flight and then make a good run. There's a misconception that he will be part of the pace, but he will not. He is a good example of a push button horse. Think a poor-man's American Pharaoh. Can break decently. Can sit and relax in a good rhythm. Runs very well on the 2nd turn. Responds well with a strong run.

In a race like the Derby he figures to be at effect to horses that are up front. Justify is the one that jumps off the page. Mendelssohn will need Justify and others to flatten out in order to have a chance to contend for the win.
It's not even clear that he can get a piece underneath, and he'll be an underlay, but he's certainly a contender to respect for underneath.

There aren't a ton of horses who I'd call 'push-button'.
Magnum Moon is close. He can break for a little speed, cruise, and then be asked to run at the end.

Enticed is close to that description.

Good Magic is close to that description. Guys like Enticed, Good Magic, Combatant, etc... kind of have a proven style that we can expect. Yes they establish position, rate, and fire, but it's not really where I'd look to 'push-button' as the best choice of description.

Tom
04-15-2018, 05:39 PM
Push button horse?

Easy....SOLOMINI!

PoloUK6108
04-15-2018, 07:09 PM
When I think push button I think who waits to be called upon and then just goes, and when I think that, I think...Good Magic, Juvenile. My Boy Jack, every race he's run pretty much. I think Quip as extremely versatile and adjusts to each pace scenario, and the same of Mendelssohn. Enticed, Noble Indy and Flameaway could break through, but are just under these when I think Push Button.

If ya didn't know, I love Good Magic. His experience in full fields, running style and turn of foot when he's ready to go make up the best combo for a winner in my eyes. And who's hungrier or on a better run right now than Chad MF Brown?

PoloUK6108
04-15-2018, 07:11 PM
But if you include owners, China Horse/Winstar might be hungriest :bang::puke:

SecretAgentMan
04-15-2018, 10:58 PM
But if you include owners, China Horse/Winstar might be hungriest :bang::puke:

Winstar Farms won the KD in 2010 with Super Saver

PoloUK6108
04-16-2018, 09:50 AM
And? They're tag teaming half the race with CHC

SecretAgentMan
04-16-2018, 10:09 AM
And? They're tag teaming half the race with CHC

If you want to convince yourself they're the hungriest owners, & need that reason to bet the horse, well good luck!

PoloUK6108
04-16-2018, 10:57 AM
Mmmkayy...thanks man. Greedy/hungry/dominating the entries. Call it what you want, don't believe I said anything about betting them.