PDA

View Full Version : Who's clunkin' up?

PowerUpPaynter
04-14-2018, 10:54 PM
Lets talk some 2nd and 3rd tier horses who can land into the super.

Have my eyes on a few right now.

Flameaway - He's all heart and as honest a horse you will find, will get himself in a good position and grind away til the end.

Noble Indy - Like Battle of Midway sat on a really fast pace in his final prep and still had enough to hold on in the end. That kind of race projects well for him getting the distance.

Hofburg - Buckpasser in the X and sub 38 final 3/8 always projects well into the derby.

Vino Ross- RAN sire line, Buckpasser - X, sub 38 final 3/8 and looks like he will only get better with more distance.

MNslappy
04-14-2018, 11:04 PM
I think Enticed could be...persuaded....to do some clunkin up for a piece of the super.

GMB@BP
04-15-2018, 12:15 AM
Best three closers are My Boy Jack, Vino Rosso and then Hoffburg.

Given the prices I could use the 1st and 3rd.

SecretAgentMan
04-15-2018, 12:31 AM
Best three closers are My Boy Jack, Vino Rosso and then Hoffburg.

Given the prices I could use the 1st and 3rd.

For Haskins to post Vino Rossi at #1 last week, boggles my mind. So maybe he comes clunking in?

MutuelClerk
04-15-2018, 12:37 AM
Hofburg skips the Derby and wins the Belmont.

PowerUpPaynter
04-15-2018, 09:07 AM
Did we ever find out what the heck happened with Bravazo in the Louisiana Derby?

headhawg
04-15-2018, 09:21 AM
For me it's hard to be thinking about this Derby stuff until the post position draw and knowing the track/weather conditions. Some of the toss-outs aren't going to take to the track. This goes for some of the faves -- they might be "clunking" backwards in the stretch.

LoneF
04-15-2018, 10:33 AM
For me it's hard to be thinking about this Derby stuff until the post position draw and knowing the track/weather conditions. Some of the toss-outs aren't going to take to the track. This goes for some of the faves -- they might be "clunking" backwards in the stretch.

If we waited until post positions and weather conditions were known than we
would have just a few days to handicap and what fun is that lol. I think before that stuff is known you can still get a general idea of who you like and who you don’t, so than you can just spend the last few days tweaking your bets based off post positions and expected weather conditions.

headhawg
04-15-2018, 11:03 AM
Everybody handicaps the Derby differently I suppose. Personally my "serious" Derby handicapping only takes a couple of hours. I don't delve into supers so maybe that makes it easier on me. Anyway I'm of the mantra, "Think long, think wrong."

LoneF
04-15-2018, 11:15 AM
Runaway Ghost -

1. I loved how he showed the ability early in the race to sit near the rear of the pack in winning the Sunland Derby. With so few deep closers in the KY derby that running style could prove useful ...

2. He seems to really be getting good at exactly the right time and looks to be set up for a career best monster effort in the KY Derby.

A monster effort from Runaway Ghost probably not good enough to win but I don’t see why he can’t be rolling late and pick up a piece or two.

Oh and the horse has the best back story in my opinion. 86 yr old owner been in the game for 30 years in New Mexico never has had a stakes winner of any type in that whole time and now his stable is down to just one horse with Runaway Ghost and he finds himself in the KY Derby. Hard not to root for ...

f2tornado
04-15-2018, 11:17 AM
Runaway Ghost -...

It appears he is out of the Derby. (https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/226991/runaway-ghost-injured-will-miss-kentucky-derby)

SecretAgentMan
04-15-2018, 11:22 AM
It appears he is out of the Derby. (https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/226991/runaway-ghost-injured-will-miss-kentucky-derby)

He's injured, he's scratched

CincyHorseplayer
04-15-2018, 11:30 AM

Last year's weather was miserable. I was lucky to escape almost unharmed. I had big tickets with longshots on them and huge probables only to get busted out races where I had 4-5 horses in the race to a real head scratcher! I hope we get fast and firm this year.

f2tornado
04-15-2018, 11:37 AM
Lets talk some 2nd and 3rd tier horses who can land into the super.

Vino Rosso- RAN sire line, Buckpasser - X, sub 38 final 3/8 and looks like he will only get better with more distance.

He might just "clunk up" into the winners circle. He remains on the top of my checklist and obtaining the services of JV is a bonus.

There are a lot more contenders fitting various angles I like this year perhaps making it less likely for an oddball to hit the board. Several of these legit contenders have knocks on them so I won't rule out the B52 bomber yet.

Every last one of the Derby contenders who secured a gate ran 1:11+ to the 3/4 pole last out. This suggests an average pace. It then comes down to who is close enough with a solid closing kick.

Hofburg - ran a fast final 3/8th in Florida. The horse seemingly has room to improve. Fast closing Buckpasser-x horses should be respected. You might see 30-1 on the tote.

Quip - I always respect a fast closing Raise A Native horse. I really believe this guy is a closer in disguise. Look at his LP figures from Tampa and pending LP from the Ark. As a bonus, you get female family 1/Chit Chat. I figure 18-1.

Solomini - Another Raise A Native who posted fast closing numbers. He might just be a cut below the top contenders but I still wouldn't be shocked if he hit the board. I'll guess 18-1 as well.

Lone Sailor - Final fractions in Louisiana Derby were slow but this guy ran a respectable race. He does have Courtly Dee in the tail which is a big plus in my book. Louisiana Derby horses have fared well hitting the board. I think he's a bigger reach than Golden Soul but it is the Derby. Perhaps 50-1.

LoneF
04-15-2018, 11:42 AM

Damn he was going to be one of my secret weapons for the super.

LoneF
04-15-2018, 12:21 PM
Does Promises Fulfilled “ clunkin down “ into the super count ???

PowerUpPaynter
04-16-2018, 02:01 PM
Does Promises Fulfilled “ clunkin down “ into the super count ???

yes, interesting take... clunks down to 4th... hmmm. Hard to grade his Florida Derby due to pace meltdown

LoneF
04-16-2018, 03:56 PM
Judging by the emails on TVG today which several people said they were going to use My Boy Jack it loooks like he is going to take a lot of action ecspecially in the exotics.

yankeelpn
04-16-2018, 05:55 PM
No one is talking about Noble Indy.

five-eighths
04-16-2018, 06:06 PM
I’d like to see Combatant get in

chiguy
04-16-2018, 06:17 PM
Judging by the emails on TVG today which several people said they were going to use My Boy Jack it loooks like he is going to take a lot of action ecspecially in the exotics.

Every son who is named Jack and every dad who has a Jack will bet this horse. I expect him to be over bet based on that alone.

yankeelpn
04-16-2018, 08:18 PM
MBJ = Wiseguy Horse

GMB@BP
04-16-2018, 08:40 PM
Every son who is named Jack and every dad who has a Jack will bet this horse. I expect him to be over bet based on that alone.

I see him being about 6th or 7th choice, still going to get 12/1 ish.

Buckeye
04-16-2018, 08:48 PM
He's injured, he's scratched

Here's what he did for me: I bet a pick 4 array for 28.50 that paid 1105.

It can happen.

GMB@BP
04-16-2018, 09:03 PM
Of the clunk up bombs I like Combatant as the play, figures to be about 40/1 and he really hasnt had great setups. I dont see him winning but from the group of longshot closers, yea he could be interesting.