PDA

View Full Version : need some help on class levels

masterpeg
08-27-2004, 09:46 PM
im back..have gotten the four books you all recommended and actually won 400 last sunday (no influence from the books) on a 1 dollar super that cost me 13.00!

finished Beyers on speed and handicapping magic and am going to give sunday a shot at Del Mar.

I was wondering if there is anyone who has all the class levels for Del Mar/or all Southern California Tracks if they are the same. Or is there some place I could look to find them. Coming across some trouble opening form windows when I don't know the class levels.

linrom1
08-28-2004, 07:59 AM
Class doesn't work at Del Mar except on turf.

formula_2002
08-28-2004, 10:01 AM
FOR WHAT IT MAY BE WORTH IN THE FUTURE WHO KNOWS, BUT IN THE PAST, MY DATA BASE INDICATES.

TOP RATED BRIS CLASS FIGURE

NON MAIDEN, DIRT 10% DOLLAR LOSS
NON MAIDEN TURF 22 TO 30% LOSS

THATS BASED ON A FEW 100 RACES IN EACH CATAGORY,

Derek2U
08-28-2004, 10:05 AM
Hey Guys, it's a great day in the Hamptons far away from the
conventioneers. I'm going for breakfast & a bike ride & I'll be
playing poolside today, but its Travers Day so lets plan on going
into the WAR ROOM. Even you Bushies should show.

Blackgold
08-28-2004, 10:08 AM
Try and find a book called "Ten Steps To Winning" by Danny Holmes.

It provides contender selection methods based on the type of race. . .MDN, MCL, CL, ALnw, SAlw, Stks, Hcp, etc., etc.

Some of the ideas have served me well over the years.

Good Luck!

wes
08-28-2004, 10:28 AM
LPC's books are among the best published on this subject !!
http://www.horseracingusa.com/

Fast & Fit Horses - Bob Heyburn $9.95
Handicap! Finding the Key Horse - David L.Christopher $12.95
Horse Racing Logic - Glendon Jones $9.95
How Will Your Horse Run Today? - William L. Scott $9.95
Ten Steps To Winning - Danny Holmes $9.95
Total Victory at the Track - William L. Scott $12.95
... and many others ...

wes

JustMissed
08-28-2004, 11:01 AM
Do you mean a class level chart that ranks the races, for example:

clm 4000
clm4000n2y
clm4000n1y
clm4000n2x
clm4000n3L
clm4000n2L
clm4000MC

etc.

If that is what you want, you can develop your own. There is a 2004 Track Equilization Chart for free at American Turf Monthly website to help you make your track to track adjustments. Or just use what your software uses.

Hope this helps,

JM

masterpeg
08-28-2004, 12:16 PM
yea...i meant class chart. I will go right now and look at that. I just needed to know the number of drops a particular horse is taking. I don't use any software, except the free formulator 4. I enjoy doing it all myself at this stage, but don't have the time to keep accurate charts all week. I only have the weekends now.

masterpeg
08-28-2004, 12:25 PM
thats a good tool that I didn't have and appreciate the nudge. But its still not quite what I need. I would think the list of class races and the heirarchy wouldn't be well hidden, but it sure is hard finding it.

after looking at it and rereading the description, not quite sure what the class numbers mean on the left hand side of the track equalization chart mean. can you make a track to track comparison only when the class numbers are the same? or is that just the overall class of the track?

JustMissed
08-28-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by masterpeg
thats a good tool that I didn't have and appreciate the nudge. But its still not quite what I need. I would think the list of class races and the heirarchy wouldn't be well hidden, but it sure is hard finding it.

after looking at it and rereading the description, not quite sure what the class numbers mean on the left hand side of the track equalization chart mean. can you make a track to track comparison only when the class numbers are the same? or is that just the overall class of the track?

So true-that's why you should develop your own.

Bris/TSN have unltimate pp's w/quick play comments(which I use). They have positive comments one side of the page and negataive on the other. Common comments are "moves up 1 class" or "move down 2 class", etc.

You know they have to rank each race using a numerical sytem in order to generate that data.

I called TSN to get a copy of their class level chart and they acted like they didn't know what I was talking about. Go figure.

Good luck to you,

JM

JustMissed
08-28-2004, 03:33 PM
I don't want to leave you hanging. I use the TSN Race Ratings to help determine the class level rating for a race. I will print below some info I snatched from the tsnhorse.com site for your info. I have found the Race Ratings to be more useful than the class level.

If you want some professional info on class level rankings you should contact Dave Swartz who post here regularly. He is a software developer/seller and a great guy. I'm sure he would be glad to help you.

Here the tsnhorse.com stuff:

"Quality of the Field
By: Richard J. Nilsen

Any class rating system that tries to apply a number to each level can't be accurate .... The only way to assign a class rating accurately to any race is to rate the race by performance.
Bob Pandolfo
Writer

Until several years ago, when the Form added the actual conditions of the race to each race classification in a horse's running lines, e.g. NW2L, only the diligent handicapper knew if a horse was rising or falling in class. One had to research result charts or save old Forms to know if the horse was, for example, exiting an open \$10,000 claimer or a \$10,000 claimer restricted to non-winners of two races lifetime.

That edge disappeared when race conditions were added, but a similar edge can still be found by incorporating Race Ratings into the handicapping procedure. To define, a Race Rating is a numerical representation of the quality of horses in a race. The higher the number, the tougher the competition. The ratings serve as an excellent tool to identify weak or tough competition because they are based on the quality of the horses rather than an arbitrary title, e.g. \$10,000 claimer. A \$10,000 claimer for older males may earn a 109 Race Rating whereas another \$10,000 claimer for older males at the same track may earn a 111 Race Rating, indicating this was a much stronger field.

In comparing shippers and horses jumping between class levels, the Race Ratings are indispensable. It is the power of the Race Rating which makes the TSN Class Ratings such a helpful tool. An individual runner's Class Rating is based on the horse's performance in the race. This number is adjusted based on the Race Rating.

For example, a six-length winner in a 108 Race Rating may receive a 111 Class Rating. A horse who finished up the track in the same race may have earned a 106 Class Rating.

By comparing the horse's performances to the Race Ratings, the handicapper can quickly get a feel for the horse's proper level. Where is the horse competitive? Doing this for each runner, it will become apparent which horses are outclassed in today's race.

Also, utilize the Current Class Rating and the Average Competitive Level (ACL), two factors provided in several TSN reports, such as KeyStats and Ultra PP's. Both tools incorporate the Race and Class Ratings to predict the preferred runners in today's event.

Hope this stuff helps you,

JM

Speed Figure
08-28-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by masterpeg
im back..have gotten the four books you all recommended and actually won 400 last sunday (no influence from the books) on a 1 dollar super that cost me 13.00!

finished Beyers on speed and handicapping magic and am going to give sunday a shot at Del Mar.

I was wondering if there is anyone who has all the class levels for Del Mar/or all Southern California Tracks if they are the same. Or is there some place I could look to find them. Coming across some trouble opening form windows when I don't know the class levels. http://turfpedia.com/methods/speed/pars.html