PDA

View Full Version : horse fields

ldiatone
04-09-2018, 06:59 PM
not sure if this has been addressed. but how does one approach 5-6 horse fields? play or pass. if play what are the bets and how does one 'cap the races?

Immortal6
04-09-2018, 09:25 PM
Seems to me most, not all, but most fields of 6 horses have one heavy favorite that goes off at less than 2-1. I simply compare the figs of the heavy ML favorite to the others in the race and if there is less than say a 5-10 point difference in their last 3 races speed figures I will give the race another look. I typically only play these races by exacta boxing the heavy favorite with my other top contender in the race.

Look at the probables and if chalk/contender pays at least $20 I'll make the bet.
A good example was the 6th at Turf Paradise today. 6 horse field, :5: was the heavy favorite but the :6: was coming off a layoff, had only run in small stakes races, and showed 2 bullet works. chalk/contender paid $28 and contender/chalk paid over $50. Came in :6:/:5: and I was happy.

I think exacta boxing these races is the way to go because 50% of the time the chalk wins, and if you can make $20 by finding a contender to use underneath with some upside if it wins, you should see some long term profit. Just my 2 cents.

jay68802
04-09-2018, 09:39 PM
When playing Pick x's, a short field gives you 2 choices usually. The favorite, single, or the favorite with the 2 longest prices.

PaceAdvantage
04-09-2018, 09:52 PM
I hardly ever look at any race under 8 horses...unless it's a stakes race, then perhaps I may look for a vulnerable favorite...

thaskalos
04-09-2018, 09:56 PM
I will only play a 6-horse field if I can find a cold exacta, or a 2-way trifecta. The reward does not warrant further spreading...IMO.