PDA

View Full Version : Army Mule

RunForTheRoses
04-07-2018, 05:19 PM
I threw the horse out of my P4s, all blown up now, but damn that was an impressive performance for such a lightly raced horse. Must have soundness issues but...will he stay sprinting (and eventually hook up with west coast speedsters) or go long.

Tom
04-07-2018, 05:29 PM
But a pretty weak field.

RunForTheRoses
04-07-2018, 05:40 PM
But a pretty weak field.

I dunno, the 11 ran third in the BC Mile, the 9 wasn't too bad a horse, not too many great fields in these times, won impressively.

GMB@BP
04-07-2018, 05:43 PM
Field was ok but that was spectacular against the clock. Was perfect trip but when you run that fast against good horses you can run a bit.

cj
04-07-2018, 05:43 PM
More than 2 seconds faster than the Bay Shore...that is motoring.

AltonKelsey
04-07-2018, 11:43 PM

But it was a weak field.

They tried to resurrect Secretariat but he said he was happy where he was.

CincyHorseplayer
04-08-2018, 12:11 AM
Was one of the definite highlights of the day.

classhandicapper
04-08-2018, 12:28 PM
I tried to beat him. I guess that wasn't such a good idea. :lol:

He obviously ran very well, but he got a pretty perfect trip sitting in the pocket behind a duel between inferior horses and then not even having to come around them when the rail opened up and let him through. It doesn't get too much better than that.

cj
04-08-2018, 12:34 PM
I tried to beat him. I guess that wasn't such a good idea. :lol:

He obviously ran very well, but he got a pretty perfect trip sitting in the pocket behind a duel between inferior horses and then not even having to come around them when the rail opened up and let him through. It doesn't get too much better than that.

It was a perfect trip, but would it have mattered? Who is out there to beat him?

Striker
04-08-2018, 01:17 PM
I threw the horse out of my P4s, all blown up now, but damn that was an impressive performance for such a lightly raced horse. Must have soundness issues but...will he stay sprinting (and eventually hook up with west coast speedsters) or go long.

I believe Pletcher said the next race would be the Met Mile in June.

Afleet
04-08-2018, 01:32 PM
That was race horse time in the Carter. Hate it when they let the chalk come down the rail

classhandicapper
04-08-2018, 02:03 PM
It was a perfect trip, but would it have mattered? Who is out there to beat him?

He would have won either way, just by less. The horse I bet is still running. ha.

GMB@BP
04-08-2018, 02:07 PM
If Justify does not run as expected in the Derby I wont be shocked to see him in the Met Mile.

Secondbest
04-08-2018, 02:20 PM
That was race horse time in the Carter. Hate it when they let the chalk come down the rail

A little less the a second off the track record. And he won easily.

GMB@BP
04-08-2018, 02:25 PM
Even if you adjust the figure for a perfect trip, and knock it down slightly for beating a pretty average field its still 110ish for a horse making his 3rd start.

Now pletcher has had that type of horse before pumpkin out but he has also had those that lived up to the figures.

Striker
04-08-2018, 07:37 PM
If Justify does not run as expected in the Derby I wont be shocked to see him in the Met Mile.

That would be an interesting placement to put a 3yo who would have only 4 races to his name, and just performed poorly in the Derby. If you are thinking that the 1 turn mile is more suitable for him, wouldn’t the Woody Stephens at 7f on the same day, against straight 3yos make more sense?

GMB@BP
04-08-2018, 08:22 PM
That would be an interesting placement to put a 3yo who would have only 4 races to his name, and just performed poorly in the Derby. If you are thinking that the 1 turn mile is more suitable for him, wouldn’t the Woody Stephens at 7f on the same day, against straight 3yos make more sense?

That race does nothing to enhance his value, and by not run well I mean like 3rd or 4th, not 15th.

Parkview_Pirate
04-09-2018, 02:26 AM

Was not a fan of Army Mule, but I thought National Flag in the Bay Shore was visually stunning.

Since both winners came from off the pace, but NF was wide while AM was inside, does that make a difference?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that whenever I hear a final time being relative, I think back to 1990 and Unbridled's Florida Derby. Like Carl Nafzger stated in response to Unbridled's slow time in the race, "time only counts when you're in jail."

And when Unbridled CRUSHED his opponents in the Kentucky Derby, it made Mr. Nafzger look pretty smart.

(Note - for those that that don't remember that performance, go out to Youtube

and look - it was a one horse race (begins at 45:50)

https://youtu.be/wUGQV3Q5K50

So I won't argue that Army Mule ran huge, but let's see how he runs in future races.....

classhandicapper
04-09-2018, 09:34 AM

I just thought of someone that could give him a tussle. Sharp Azetca is a very good miler when he's sharp. Supposedly he wasn't doing well recently and is being freshened. It's hard to know when he'll be back and whether he will be just as good, but it would be a pretty exciting matchup if they both came into a race peaking.

I'm not sure what they did with Mor Spirit after his bad race in the Mile.

cj
04-09-2018, 10:08 AM
I just thought of someone that could give him a tussle. Sharp Azetca is a very good miler when he's sharp. Supposedly he wasn't doing well recently and is being freshened. It's hard to know when he'll be back and whether he will be just as good, but it would be a pretty exciting matchup if they both came into a race peaking.

I'm not sure what they did with Mor Spirit after his bad race in the Mile.

Maybe. I'm not as big on him as some others, but he's popped a few big ones.

cj
04-09-2018, 10:09 AM
Was not a fan of Army Mule, but I thought National Flag in the Bay Shore was visually stunning.

Since both winners came from off the pace, but NF was wide while AM was inside, does that make a difference?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that whenever I hear a final time being relative, I think back to 1990 and Unbridled's Florida Derby. Like Carl Nafzger stated in response to Unbridled's slow time in the race, "time only counts when you're in jail."

And when Unbridled CRUSHED his opponents in the Kentucky Derby, it made Mr. Nafzger look pretty smart.

(Note - for those that that don't remember that performance, go out to Youtube

and look - it was a one horse race (begins at 45:50)

https://youtu.be/wUGQV3Q5K50

So I won't argue that Army Mule ran huge, but let's see how he runs in future races.....

Sure, it makes a difference, but two seconds is a bunch. We're talking the difference between cheap claimers and stakes horses in a lot of cases.

classhandicapper
04-15-2018, 12:36 PM
Maybe. I'm not as big on him as some others, but he's popped a few big ones.

How about City of Light? They might meet in the Met.

cj
04-15-2018, 12:43 PM
How about City of Light? They might meet in the Met.

He was huge yesterday, G1s sprinting and routing now.

GMB@BP
04-15-2018, 02:12 PM
I was going through my Del Mar trip notes and when he won so easy in his mdn i was like

"too good to believe from that barn"

well, it was that good, and the barn has done a great job with the horse. Really impressed with the race yesterday, he beat a pretty nice horse.

outofthebox
04-15-2018, 04:18 PM
How about City of Light? They might meet in the Met.Getting excited for the Met. Could be quite a race with Mule, Light, Bisquits, Sharp Azteca to name a few. Hope they all get there.