PDA

View Full Version : Unions

schweitz
08-27-2004, 10:18 AM
An American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees union filed a grievance against East Haven, Conn., Mayor Joe Maturo recently for allegedly violating the city's labor contract when he reached down into a storm drain and repositioned the drain cover, which Maturo noticed had become dislodged. According to the union, if a cover comes loose, the city is required to call out exactly four union employees, three of whom would get time and half and be guaranteed four hours work. Said union President John Longley, "It's not about the money; it's about our work."

NoDayJob
08-27-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by schweitz
An American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees union filed a grievance against East Haven, Conn., Mayor Joe Maturo recently for allegedly violating the city's labor contract when he reached down into a storm drain and repositioned the drain cover, which Maturo noticed had become dislodged. According to the union, if a cover comes loose, the city is required to call out exactly four union employees, three of whom would get time and half and be guaranteed four hours work. Said union President John Longley, "It's not about the money; it's about our work."

:D Sounds good to me. I might even quit playing the horses and apply for a job with the East Haven, Conn., Muni Employee's Union. How many palms would you have to grease to get a position? I wonder how the union prexy would have felt if he'd broken a leg because of the dislodged storm drain cover? Oh yeah, I forgot, he'd have sued the city for $100mm and retired. :D

NDJ

JustRalph
08-27-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by NoDayJob
:D Sounds good to me. I might even quit playing the horses and apply for a job with the East Haven, Conn., Muni Employee's Union. How many palms would you have to grease to get a position? I wonder how the union prexy would have felt if he'd broken a leg because of the dislodged storm drain cover? Oh yeah, I forgot, he'd have sued the city for $100mm and retired. :D

NDJ

I got in trouble for this kind of crap once. After a serious thunderstorm came through the town I was working as a cop in. I was the senior officer in charge that afternoon and there were tree limbs down everywhere. One of my troops decided to call out a city crew to cut up a large branch that had fallen into the street. It was Friday night about 8p and they get double time for a team of two or four (depending on the job) when they get called out on weekends. I canceled his call and we drug the branch out of the street (it was big, but not that big) put police tape around it and moved on. The supervisor for the city crew bitched at the police chief on Monday for not being called out.......in turn the chief bitched at me..........as usual..........

Tom
08-28-2004, 11:46 AM
Maybe Jimmy Hoffa was down there and they didn't want anyone to find him? Professional courtesy.:rolleyes: