PDA

View Full Version : Online Betting While at The Kentucky Derby

yankeelpn
04-04-2018, 04:55 AM
I'll be at the Oaks and Kentucky Derby this year and was wondering if anyone has used an online betting app "TVG or TwinSpires" while at the track for the Oaks/KD? Just wondering if its easy to use or cell reception is an issue?? I really dont want to use the betting windows if possible. Thx you!

Dream_Police
04-04-2018, 07:03 AM
Twinspires.com works fine. I haven't tried TVG,x-press at the track but twinspires also has an app you can download if you do not want to use the regular site.

yankeelpn
04-04-2018, 04:25 PM
I was just wondering if it’s worth using while at CD during the derby? I want to stay away from the betting windows if possible.

JustRalph
04-04-2018, 07:05 PM
Don’t count on WiFi. It will work great for 2 minutes at a time then fade for a half hour. Too many signals and too many users. I haven’t been in several years but that’s usually the case at the big events.

señorclipclop
04-04-2018, 07:19 PM
I'll be at the Oaks and Kentucky Derby this year and was wondering if anyone has used an online betting app "TVG or TwinSpires" while at the track for the Oaks/KD? Just wondering if its easy to use or cell reception is an issue?? I really dont want to use the betting windows if possible. Thx you!

As mentioned above, the wifi will be dicey as will mobile data with 100k people there.

However, I found that if you go up to the betting windows, the wifi will work great as the ones I saw had wifi routers in each corner.

Sundown
04-11-2018, 01:43 PM
Churchill Downs has a betting app that allows you to skip the windows but still bet into the track's pool. Of course, you might still have connectivity issues. https://www.churchilldowns.com/churchill-app

yankeelpn
04-12-2018, 05:33 PM
Thx, I was wondering if its worth betting using the App while Im at the Oaks/KD. I want to stay away from the betting windows if all possible :headbanger:

minethatbird08
04-12-2018, 05:57 PM
Like others have said I think connection will be dicey. Also, tellers are abundant at derby and lines aren't bad, imo. Also , most people don't know how to use automated tellers so those aren't a bad option.

yankeelpn
04-12-2018, 06:22 PM
Thx! I finally have seats this year and was worried about standing in line for long periods. I might have to try the machines :ThmbUp:

Clocker
04-12-2018, 11:00 PM
Also , most people don't know how to use automated tellers so those aren't a bad option.

I have never been to a big race like that, but I can imagine a number of people don't even know how to use a live teller at the Derby. :rolleyes:

minethatbird08
04-12-2018, 11:08 PM
I have never been to a big race like that, but I can imagine a number of people don't even know how to use a live teller at the Derby. :rolleyes:

Lol, you are correct. Honestly, I only get annoyed by people who don't know who they are going to bet on and it's their turn and they are still figuring it out.

minethatbird08
04-12-2018, 11:14 PM
Thx! I finally have seats this year and was worried about standing in line for long periods. I might have to try the machines :ThmbUp:

As a guy I didn't have to worry about it but will say the longest line is for the women's bathroom.

GMB@BP
04-13-2018, 12:56 AM
Like others have said I think connection will be dicey. Also, tellers are abundant at derby and lines aren't bad, imo. Also , most people don't know how to use automated tellers so those aren't a bad option.

been a few times, never had a problem making bets. I did prebet the Derby but the rest of the races, no problemo. Same for well attended Breeders Cups.

Thunder Gulch
04-13-2018, 03:22 PM

It cuts both ways. There are a lot of temp mutuel clerks who give you a blank look when calling Pick 4 wheel.

I go every year and it is hit or miss. In some areas, the windows are 45 minutes long. In others, they lines are 5. Sometimes you can get online quickly, but other times you'll drive yourself nuts trying.

The funny thing is that you can easily bet in the last 15 minutes before the actual Derby as everyone is in their seat. Same goes for the mobile signal that seems to suddenly open in the final minutes before the big race.

yankeelpn
04-13-2018, 04:54 PM
I’ll go ahead and make my Derby bets on Oaks day.

ThinkingAlways
04-16-2018, 07:55 PM
As others have said, wifi can be a bit dicey depending on where you are. But the cellular coverage works great after they updated their system a couple of years ago. I tend to turn off wifi for the day (so the phone isn't searching for it or using a very slow connection) and use just cellular.

yankeelpn
04-16-2018, 08:15 PM
CD says there will be no WiFi for the Oaks/KD. I really wanted to use Twinspires for Oaks/KD just worried about cell reception at the track. That many people means decreased reception etc.

ThinkingAlways
04-17-2018, 01:22 PM
CD says there will be no WiFi for the Oaks/KD. I really wanted to use Twinspires for Oaks/KD just worried about cell reception at the track. That many people means decreased reception etc.

Do you have a source here? Or a reference? Wifi is always congested on O/D but I seriously doubt they'd turn it off.

yankeelpn
04-17-2018, 06:16 PM
Churchill Downs site states:"There is no public Wi-Fi available on Oaks and Derby Days."

Lemon Drop Husker
04-17-2018, 06:37 PM
Churchill Downs site states:"There is no public Wi-Fi available on Oaks and Derby Days."

Bring 2 phones. One of them as a Wifi.

yankeelpn
04-18-2018, 12:36 AM
Think l'll take my chances at the windows :eek: