PDA

View Full Version : Mendelssohn wow

Fager Fan
04-01-2018, 10:30 AM
I don't see a thread, so I made one.

This guy is my Derby pick. There might not have been much behind him but that was impressive and we already knew he was top quality. The Dubai surface is supposed to be similar to Churchill's. That $3m purchase price looks like peanuts, this is the most valuable horse in training in the world. Yes, I'm enamored.

jay68802
04-01-2018, 10:46 AM
Sort of been a horse in that huge grey area of handicapping for me. Always left a few questions unanswered. I think you are right though, just became a solid contender, IMO.

Mulerider
04-01-2018, 10:59 AM
I don't see a thread, so I made one.

This guy is my Derby pick. There might not have been much behind him but that was impressive and we already knew he was top quality. The Dubai surface is supposed to be similar to Churchill's. That $3m purchase price looks like peanuts, this is the most valuable horse in training in the world. Yes, I'm enamored.

Beyer 106 (Audible 99). Looking forward to CJ's.

Fager Fan
04-01-2018, 11:07 AM
Beyer 106 (Audible 99). Looking forward to CJ's.

Thanks. I'd not seen any of his numbers yet.

Tom
04-01-2018, 11:20 AM
106?
Like a horse from the past.
I was re-reading a Quirin book this week and he had guidelines for the Derby horses - a prep race of 108-110!
Don't see too many contenders like that anymore.

RunForTheRoses
04-01-2018, 12:08 PM
-3 or -4 on TG

https://www.thorograph.com/phorum/read.php?1,111287,111287#msg-111287

Fager Fan
04-01-2018, 12:40 PM
-3 or -4 on TG

https://www.thorograph.com/phorum/read.php?1,111287,111287#msg-111287

That'll lead Jerry to preaching against him. He thinks a number adequately measures physical exertion. That asks us to believe a number instead of our eyes. The horse did that easy. If he doesn't win, it won't be because he bounced, but I'll appreciate him shouting to everyone that he's going to bounce.

Mulerider
04-01-2018, 12:48 PM
That'll lead Jerry to preaching against him. He thinks a number adequately measures physical exertion. That asks us to believe a number instead of our eyes. The horse did that easy. If he doesn't win, it won't be because he bounced, but I'll appreciate him shouting to everyone that he's going to bounce.

The one yesterday I thought showed signs of physical exhaustion was Audible. Legs looked a little rubbery after the race to me.

dilanesp
04-01-2018, 01:04 PM

You aren't wrong, but I have also seen races that looked "easy" that clearly took something out of the horse. The figure and the way the horse looked are both data points.

Rackon
04-01-2018, 03:07 PM
The one yesterday I thought showed signs of physical exhaustion was Audible. Legs looked a little rubbery after the race to me.

I agree. He looked spent in the gallop out (it was more of a canter out). Hard to tell with Audible - he's a bit lazy in works - but looked to me like maybe he really needed that race or the mile and an eighth was all he wanted distance wise.