PDA

View Full Version : Trump has done it now....signed the bill.....

JustRalph
03-23-2018, 03:28 PM
He got taken........that is all!

JustRalph
03-23-2018, 03:51 PM
https://apnews.com/0b31d47019564c738f440a6e307729aa/Trump-signs-$1.3-trillion-budget-after-threatening-veto

https://apnews.com/0b31d47019564c738f440a6e307729aa/Trump-signs-$1.3-trillion-budget-after-threatening-veto

Clocker
03-23-2018, 03:53 PM
He got taken........that is all!

He knew that it was a piece of crap. He said when he signed it that he would never again sign such a bad bill.

Asked about his earlier veto threat, Trump told reporters he “looked very seriously at the veto” and “was thinking about doing the veto but because of the incredible gains we’ve been able to make for the military, that overrode any of our thinking.”

But Trump also said this would be the last time he would sign such a spending measure.

"I say to Congress: I will never sign another bill like this again," Trump promised. "Nobody read it. It's only hours old. ... (It's) the second-largest ever. President Obama signed one that was actually larger, which I'm sure he wasn't too happy with either."
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-threatens-veto-spending-bill-over-daca-border-wall-funding-n859446

lamboguy
03-23-2018, 04:11 PM
for him to sign that paper and borrow money to give those big tax cuts only means we are in a very shaky financial condition.

i look at it this way, we already can't pay $20 trillion, why not make it $30 trillion. it doesn't make any difference. you can only go bankrupt once.

chadk66
03-23-2018, 04:14 PM
I'm officially off the Trump train until the wall is built

Clocker
03-23-2018, 04:22 PM

The bill does give the Dept. of Defense $1.8 billion that it can use to increase border security.

That would be increased border security in Jordan, Egypt, Lebanon, and Tunisia. :faint:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2018/03/22/budget-director-mulvaney-spending-bill-with-no-wall-funding-is-a-really-really-good-immigration-package/

barahona44
03-23-2018, 04:35 PM
He knew that it was a piece of crap. He said when he signed it that he would never again sign such a bad bill.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-threatens-veto-spending-bill-over-daca-border-wall-funding-n859446

Until the next time he does.

Tom
03-23-2018, 04:48 PM

Unacceptable.
THIS one should never have been signed.
He is officially an a-hole today.

boxcar
03-23-2018, 05:00 PM

Hard to believe that Trump was this short-sighted, not realizing that he would alienate his base. And this plays right into the hands of the Swamp Establishment!

And he had the audacity to use the military as his excuse for signing this crap. :bang::bang:

He should have just vetoed the bill and forced Congress to work through their recess. The megabytes of irony here is that there would not have been enough votes to overturn the veto! Why he refused to use the power of the veto is beyond me. (Oh yeah...I nearly forgot...government shutdown.) :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

Clocker
03-23-2018, 05:02 PM
Unacceptable.
THIS one should never have been signed.
He is officially an a-hole today.

If Trump vetoed the bill, the government would not shut down. Congress could immediately pass a continuing resolution to temporarily fund the government, and Congress and the administration could have gone to work on a compromise budget. Hard to imagine any such compromise could be worse than this one.

Tom
03-23-2018, 05:06 PM
The swamp is now officially saved.

Clocker
03-23-2018, 05:12 PM
The swamp is now officially saved.

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.S4L-iOjZCXZuLI1f3NgX1gAAAA&w=191&h=191&c=7&o=5&dpr=1.875&pid=1.7

https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.BrQdwYM4NDt01zZAkRmjrQHaLS&w=130&h=198&c=7&o=5&dpr=1.875&pid=1.7

chadk66
03-23-2018, 05:13 PM
inexcusable. swamp draining has ceased it appears.

PaceAdvantage
03-23-2018, 06:12 PM
Here you go elysiantraveller...here you go...you've waited for this like, forever now.

Take notes.

letswastemoney
03-23-2018, 06:21 PM
I've almost given up on Trump. Our government cares more about borders in the Middle East than its own people here.

cordoba
03-23-2018, 06:36 PM
Inexcusable!!

Clocker
03-23-2018, 07:43 PM
Rubbing salt in the wounds.

There was a lot of pork in the bill, including a $540 million earmark for Chuck Schumer to build the NY-NJ tunnel.

After Trump signed the bill, Schumer's press secretary tweeted that he was getting tired of all the winning. :popcorn:

http://www.breitbart.com/

PaceAdvantage
03-23-2018, 07:44 PM
I guess Trump truly is a Democrat after all...

fast4522
03-23-2018, 08:00 PM

I expected he would sign it, not left much choice with slim majority.
I fully expect President Donald J. Trump to disappoint me, and I expect to forgive that disappointment because I know how I would not even come close or anyone else in getting this far. Plus I expect there will be much more to expect from the President in good he gets done. Here is the clue, if he is driving the same people here batshit crazy every time I am good with it.

jk3521
03-23-2018, 08:00 PM
Hero to bum , with a stroke of a pen!

Clocker
03-23-2018, 08:46 PM

This is not a majority party budget. The budget was passed by moderates and liberals, and signed by one of the same.

In the House 90 out of 238 Republicans voted against the budget, as did 24 out of 51 GOP Senators. It would never have passed without strong support by a majority of Democrats.

Tom
03-23-2018, 08:47 PM
A tunnel between NY and NJ........more like a toilet.
Two S-hole states connected by a drain.

Both should be flushed.
Not sure who the King Turf of NY is, Baby Mario or UpChucky.
Both are turds, but Trump plays with them both.

JustRalph
03-23-2018, 09:10 PM
Here that crashing sound? That was the Trump train crashing into an anvil placed on the tracks by Ryan and McConnell. He’s toast.

I cannot believe he fell for this shit..........

boxcar
03-23-2018, 09:15 PM
I fully expect President Donald J. Trump to disappoint me, and I expect to forgive that disappointment because I know how I would not even come close or anyone else in getting this far. Plus I expect there will be much more to expect from the President in good he gets done. Here is the clue, if he is driving the same people here batshit crazy every time I am good with it.

Unless he pulls off some "superhuman" feat, Trump has dug himself into a very deep hole from which he very likely will not escape in 2020. And we should not forget, that many Trump supporters will not be energized to rally around him and vote R in the mid-terms either. He could be dead in the water as early as 2018!

Actions have consequences. He betrayed his base big time! He apparently thinks that he can drain the swamp by becoming a swamp creature himself.

I wrote to him today and told him that he's FIRED! He betrayed my trust, and I let him know in no uncertain terms that I don't appreciate his actions today.

Clocker
03-23-2018, 09:30 PM
Unless he pulls off some "superhuman" feat, Trump has dug himself into a very deep hole from which he very likely will not escape in 2020. And we should not forget, that many Trump supporters will not be energized to rally around him and vote R in the mid-terms either. He could be dead in the water as early as 2018!

Two big factors that helped Trump get elected were the alt-right being fired up and moderates and independents in the center being turned off by Hillary.

Especially in 2018, neither of those things will be a factor. Even in "normal" times, the party out of power tends to rebound in the off-year elections.

The Republicans needed strong support from the Dems to pass this budget. They aren't going to get that kind of support on any "superhuman" feat between now and November.

FantasticDan
03-23-2018, 09:58 PM
https://twitter.com/voxdotcom/status/977360605718949888

Tom
03-23-2018, 11:16 PM
Trump committed the worst sin possible - he acted like a Democrat.

JustRalph
03-23-2018, 11:47 PM

Brevity, the soul of wit! Perfect post!

FantasticDan
03-23-2018, 11:48 PM
Very pleased to see that Congress ignored Prez Shithead's plan to slash federal spending on cleaning up the Great Lakes etc

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/midwest/ct-spending-bill-great-lakes-cleanup-20180322-story.html

jocko699
03-23-2018, 11:54 PM
Very pleased to see that Congress ignored Prez Shithead's plan to slash federal spending on cleaning up the Great Lakes etc

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/midwest/ct-spending-bill-great-lakes-cleanup-20180322-story.html

Congrats Dan. I see you are now a zero also. I know it's been a lot of hard work but you did it:headbanger::headbanger::headbanger:

barahona44
03-23-2018, 11:59 PM
Congrats Dan. I see you are now a zero also. I know it's been a lot of hard work but you did it:headbanger::headbanger::headbanger:

I don't want to speak for Señor Fantastico but he probably considers it a badge of honor.

NJ Stinks
03-24-2018, 02:02 AM

Not really.

Stay in DC for another night or sign the bill and get on a plane heading for his resort in Florida?

I think it came down to Donny Boy wanting to go to Mar-a-Lago today for the weekend more than he gave two ----s about the funding bill.

Anybody think I'm wrong?

Clocker
03-24-2018, 02:14 AM
Stay in DC for another night or sign the bill and get on a plane heading for his resort in Florida?

Anybody think I'm wrong?

Wrong.

Why would he have to stay in town if he vetoed the bill?

He could have vetoed the bill and left town just as easily, dumping it all back into the laps of Ryan and McConnell.

NJ Stinks
03-24-2018, 02:19 AM
Wrong.

Why would he have to stay in town if he vetoed the bill?

He could have vetoed the bill and left town just as easily, dumping it all back into the laps of Ryan and McConnell.

I could explain why I believe I'm right but I'm trying rather hard to stop being so boring. :jump:

boxcar
03-24-2018, 07:31 AM
I could explain why I believe I'm right but I'm trying rather hard to stop being so boring. :jump:

I think many of us really appreciate you sparing us of death by boredom. :ThmbUp:

boxcar
03-24-2018, 07:45 AM

Actually Trump committed two unpardonable sins: Acting like a dimwit and a spineless establishment RINO.

chadk66
03-24-2018, 09:03 AM
at this point he's just another politician

fast4522
03-24-2018, 09:04 AM

Actions have consequences. He betrayed his base big time! He apparently thinks that he can drain the swamp by becoming a swamp creature himself.

I wrote to him today and told him that he's FIRED! He betrayed my trust, and I let him know in no uncertain terms that I don't appreciate his actions today.

Where you fail is setting the measure of a man to a standard that no one can meet. Do not be surprised when what you say does not come to pass and you look like the first to jump ship for nothing. As JR accurately stated that it is all gravy, I think that before 2018 President Donald J. Trump will have to select the next Supreme Court Justice. It will be interesting when that happens what your comments will be.

woodtoo
03-24-2018, 09:48 AM
Tough crowd.

elysiantraveller
03-24-2018, 10:15 AM
Here you go elysiantraveller...here you go...you've waited for this like, forever now.

Take notes.

About a year... it will get worse.

He'll sell out everyone who bought his rhetoric when it's done.

Some saw this writing on the wall.

Tom
03-24-2018, 10:24 AM
Tough crowd.

Spineless POTUS.

He lacks backbone, integrity, and intelligence.
Danny and Horsey will be praising him soon.
After all, he just proved he is one of them.

boxcar
03-24-2018, 10:30 AM
Where you fail is setting the measure of a man to a standard that no one can meet. Do not be surprised when what you say does not come to pass and you look like the first to jump ship for nothing. As JR accurately stated that it is all gravy, I think that before 2018 President Donald J. Trump will have to select the next Supreme Court Justice. It will be interesting when that happens what your comments will be.

But it is Trump who failed to meet a very realistic standard and expectations of his base -- which was to not sell them out. To not behave like an establishment politician. To act on principle. All these were very realistic and achievable standards. Who held a gun to his head to force him to cave to the swamp creatures? But now...now...that Trump has blinked, he has created a mountain of doubt in many peoples' minds. He has added to his political woes because now he has the monumental task of also restoring the confidence that his base had in prior to the election -- and even prior to him signing this bill. Have you ever heard the old adage:

Once fooled, shame on me; twice fooled shame on you?

Or this: Once bitten, twice shy?.

Do you think for a moment that Trump gained the respect and favor and admiration of the swamp creatures and the lamestream media by signing that bill? I say not! In fact, I say that they despise him even more for signing the bill because they detect weakness in him! They have drawn blood! They also see their own hypocrisy in him. They loathe him more than they even loathe themselves.

The last thing in the world Trump needed was to create more enemies for himself. And this is what he accomplished by singing that stupid bill. A lot of people feel betrayed. In many conservatives' minds Trump's action affirms their worst fears -- that true conservatism in this country is in its death thralls. True conservatism in this country has been on life support since Regan left office.

As far as the SC goes, that is beyond Trump's control! Before he can do anything more with the court, someone must die or resign. And what happens if either of these scenarios occur with a conservative on the court, instead of a liberal? You place an awful lot of hope on two big IFs!

Tom
03-24-2018, 10:43 AM
Trump signing that bill proves he is a total moron.
OR a democrat, but then that is redundant.

boxcar
03-24-2018, 10:55 AM
And one more thing since I'm on a roll...

By Trump signing this bill, he has to a large degree mitigated the benefits to his tax cuts. We all should know by now how the swamp creatures work. By Trump piling on to the national debt, the establishment will use this ever-growing mountain of debt as an excuse as to why taxes must be raised. If Trump doesn't get re-elected in 2020 (which I think now is more likely than not either because of impeachment or election results), the establishment will rescind the current tax cuts early by simply creating new legislation under the guise of paying down the debt. It matters not a whit that they created the debt. They will declare a DEBT CRISIS. All that will matter is that they will insist that the debt is out of control and must be payed down. And to their way of thinking decreased spending is a totally foreign idea. Whereas raising taxes is a no-brainer.

But it gets even worse. How the establishment would sell their tax increase is by insisting that it's not really a tax increase! If congress limits the increase to the previous levels, they will tell the American people that their taxes are only be restored to the old level -- that it's not really an increase to the base of the old level. Or if they even raised the level slightly above the old base, they will sell their tax increase accordingly -- that the increase amounts to only.....(drum roll, please) CRUMBS, that every red-blooded American patriot should be ready, willing and able to share in just sacrifice of crumbs!

FantasticDan
03-24-2018, 11:00 AM
Not really.

I think it came down to Donny Boy wanting to go to Mar-a-Lago today for the weekend more than he gave two ----s about the funding bill.

Anybody think I'm wrong?
You can never be wrong in assuming the selfish worst of Trump. :ThmbUp:

https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/977327864231030784

schweitz
03-24-2018, 11:42 AM
You guys do know that this bill is NOT a budget and the President can spend the money any way he wants to; just like Obama did for the last 8 years. A budget spells out constraints. This appropriation is discretionary. Congress allocates, Executive branch spends.

boxcar
03-24-2018, 12:34 PM
You guys do know that this bill is NOT a budget and the President can spend the money any way he wants to; just like Obama did for the last 8 years. A budget spells out constraints. This appropriation is discretionary. Congress allocates, Executive branch spends.

Really, not from what I've been reading or hearing. For example, the bill allegedly contains severe restrictions on the border wall.

And if this were truly the case, why would Trump lament signing it and also promise "never again"?

And one other thing for that matter: Why would Schumer and Pelosi be grinning ear-to-ear if what you say is true.

This bill was a outright win for the establishment and a loss for Trump, save for the military.

Clocker
03-24-2018, 12:48 PM
You guys do know that this bill is NOT a budget and the President can spend the money any way he wants to

No he can't. Believe it or not there are a few specifics in 2200 pages. Like $400 million for the NY-NJ tunnel. And $500 million for Planned Parenthood. There is also specific language in the bill prohibiting spending any money on the bollard style border fences that were demonstrated recently.

While this bill does go into some detail, for the most part how the money is to be spent is spelled out in much greater detail in the 12 appropriation bills Congress passes every year. Those bills authorize the spending. This "omnibus" bill funds those appropriation bills.

Annual appropriations are divided into 12 separate pieces of legislation:

Agriculture,
Commerce, Justice, and Science,
Defense,
Energy and Water,
Financial Services,
Homeland Security,
Interior and Environment,
Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education,
Legislative,
Military and Veterans,
State and Foreign Operations,
Transportation and Housing and Urban Development.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appropriation_bill#United_States

Saratoga_Mike
03-24-2018, 01:09 PM
Really, not from what I've been reading or hearing. For example, the bill allegedly contains severe restrictions on the border wall.

And if this were truly the case, why would Trump lament signing it and also promise "never again"?

And one other thing for that matter: Why would Schumer and Pelosi be grinning ear-to-ear if what you say is true.

This bill was a outright win for the establishment and a loss for Trump, save for the military.

Good assessment Box. To me, sequestration worked well. Granted, Obama fell into his own trap by putting it in place, but it did a good (not perfect) job restraining discretionary spending over the last few years of the Obama admin.

Clocker
03-24-2018, 01:15 PM
Granted, Obama fell into his own trap by putting it in place, but it did a good (not perfect) job restraining discretionary spending over the last few years of the Obama admin.

Obama was another who thought he was a master of the art of the deal.

Tom
03-24-2018, 02:29 PM
Turns out he was the ZONKED behind Door #3.

MargieRose
03-24-2018, 03:18 PM
Am wondering:

The bulk of the spending bill has been allocated to the Department of Defense (DOD). The president is in charge of the DOD and of the Department of Homeland Security (DOHS). Let's assume that the huge DOD allocation ($700 billion) is in excess of what is actually needed or used for the designated spending areas of the DOF.

Per an article from CNBC Politics:

Here's what the $1.3 trillion defense-friendly spending bill looks like for the military

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/22/defense-friendly-spending-bill-big-for-military.html

The funding will be spread over the Pentagon's base budget of $589.5 billion and $65.2 billion for the overseas contingency operations, or OCO, budget. The remainder of the $700 billion is appropriated to other defense-related programs outside the Department of Defense.Could the president apply some the "remainder," in this case what seems to be approximately 45 billion, to the DOHS...a "defense-related (homeland defense) program outside the Department of Defense? Could the president not get his 'wall' built, under this umbrella?

schweitz
03-24-2018, 04:04 PM
I'm wondering does the money have to be spent? If not Shumer might not get his tunnel started until there is a Democrat in the White House.

Clocker
03-24-2018, 04:04 PM
Could the president apply some the "remainder," in this case what seems to be approximately 45 billion, to the DOHS...a "defense-related (homeland defense) program outside the Department of Defense? Could the president not get his 'wall' built, under this umbrella?

If there ever was a "remainder", DHS could not get it and spend it because Congress approves an appropriation bill specifically for DHS, telling them how much they can spend and what they can spend it on. See Post #48 in this thread.

And "remainders" don't happen in the government. If a department doesn't spend it all, Congress will figure they got too much and cut their budget next time.

Tom
03-24-2018, 05:16 PM
When do we call out the Pentagon for ridiculously excessive spending?

fast4522
03-24-2018, 06:49 PM

You can't, you will live to see hell on earth and just maybe consider that money well spent if we survive.

Clocker
03-24-2018, 07:15 PM

We don't. That would be like giving your kid a big allowance and then complaining about how much he is spending. Pentagon spending isn't excessive, it is exactly 100% of what they are given.

You would think that a shrewd businessman like Trump might question the possibility of a little fat in the Pentagon budget. But the military says they need more, and Trump agrees, and Congress goes along as long as the members get the pork they need to stay in office. And no one is responsible.

And they all lived happily ever after.

barahona44
03-24-2018, 09:01 PM
A significant part of DOD spending are for things the military uses that are made in an influential legislator's state or district, even if these things are no longer needed or wanted by the military.

davew
03-24-2018, 09:26 PM
A significant part of DOD spending are for things the military uses that are made in an influential legislator's state or district, even if these things are no longer needed or wanted by the military.

Wouldn't a wall be considered part of national defense?

classhandicapper
03-24-2018, 09:41 PM
He probably did not want to sign it, but he knew the downside of not signing it was going to be worse than signing it. So he did the smart thing and signed it.
I would have held my nose and signed it too.

What this tells me is that we have to clean out the Senate and get rid of all the swamp creatures there now pretending to be conservatives and pretending to have the best interests of the people in mind. They are all despicable scoundrels. Our one hope of doing some smart things for the first time in decades is being forced into compromises that are continuing the damage of the pinheads that came before him.

Clocker
03-24-2018, 11:06 PM
What this tells me is that we have to clean out the Senate and get rid of all the swamp creatures there now pretending to be conservatives and pretending to have the best interests of the people in mind.

He said "conservatives". :pound:

There are 51 "Republican" Senators. I'd be hard pressed to name 10 of them as conservative.

There is a political theory that as one side moves further out on the political spectrum, the other side moves in the same direction to fill the void that is left in the center.

The Dems have been moving more and more left, with crackpots like Bernie Sanders becoming mainstream and radicals like Keith Ellison becoming DNC party officials. That makes true conservative principles less important for candidates on the right (many of whom are really now in the center, like Trump). The right wing of politics today is moving toward what was the middle in the past.

classhandicapper
03-25-2018, 09:11 AM
He said "conservatives". :pound:

There are 51 "Republican" Senators. I'd be hard pressed to name 10 of them as conservative.

There is a political theory that as one side moves further out on the political spectrum, the other side moves in the same direction to fill the void that is left in the center.

The Dems have been moving more and more left, with crackpots like Bernie Sanders becoming mainstream and radicals like Keith Ellison becoming DNC party officials. That makes true conservative principles less important for candidates on the right (many of whom are really now in the center, like Trump). The right wing of politics today is moving toward what was the middle in the past.

Crackpots is an understatement.

Some of the people on the left gaining influence and power are in many cases legitimately mentally ill.

schweitz
03-25-2018, 10:34 AM
No he can't. Believe it or not there are a few specifics in 2200 pages. Like $400 million for the NY-NJ tunnel. And $500 million for Planned Parenthood. There is also specific language in the bill prohibiting spending any money on the bollard style border fences that were demonstrated recently.

While this bill does go into some detail, for the most part how the money is to be spent is spelled out in much greater detail in the 12 appropriation bills Congress passes every year. Those bills authorize the spending. This "omnibus" bill funds those appropriation bills.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appropriation_bill#United_States

Looks like Trump outsmarted them and will get his funding out of the Omnibus bill:

www.threadreaderapp.com/thread/977557754104729606.html

www.threadreaderapp.com/thread/977677766668636160.html