upthecreek
03-15-2018, 02:53 PM
https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/974356131685466113

upthecreek
03-15-2018, 02:55 PM
https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/974357334830059520

davew
03-15-2018, 03:18 PM
that didn't last long - up for what? 5 days?

boxcar
03-15-2018, 03:28 PM
that didn't last long - up for what? 5 days?

The first question that entered my mind when I first learned about this was: Was this bridge constructed with imported Chinese steel?

woodtoo
03-15-2018, 03:51 PM
The first question that entered my mind when I first learned about this was: Was this bridge constructed with imported Chinese steel?

Ditto.

davew
03-15-2018, 04:00 PM

I was thinking heavy cement and illegal labor (no comprende English).

Tom
03-15-2018, 04:05 PM
Just hearing on FOX another crane dropped some large blue object onto the top of the bridge. u can see the large crane with a dangling wire.

See the one pickup truck under the collapse just hitting behind the driver's cab - Mr. Lucky!

Prayers to all affected - this is a terrible disaster. You're just driving along or walking along and BAM! you're either dead or your life changed forever.

WPLG confirming there was a stress test going on for the
bridge. As they tightened a cable, the collapse occurred.

Is it wise to conduct a stress test on a structure effective in use with live people under it???? 18-20 cars under the rubble.

Marshall Bennett
03-15-2018, 04:08 PM
They said they were conducting a stress test on new bridge. Looks like it failed. Sort of dumb not to reroute traffic during the test.
Poor people are still trapped. How sad!!

Tom
03-15-2018, 04:23 PM
What a total TOOL Shep Smith is.
Get his worthless ass off the air and put a real announcer on.
This guy is not fit to run a campus radio channel.

boxcar
03-15-2018, 04:38 PM
What a total TOOL Shep Smith is.
Get his worthless ass off the air and put a real announcer on.
This guy is not fit to run a campus radio channel.

What did Shep do now?

Tom
03-15-2018, 05:13 PM
His unprofessional little snide remarks like, "I am told we have a 2 minute warning - but no one thought to tell me to what?

And "We are having continual freezing of the feeds because they coming to us from the internet. What amazing technology we have here."

And when there some background voices from another feed, I assume, he whines "I don't need to compete with that crap!"

Little child. I 'm sure everyone was scrambling to try to get the news on the air, but not to Shemp's standards.

Ass.

Clocker
03-15-2018, 05:19 PM
Little child. I 'm sure everyone was scrambling to try to get the news on the air, but not to Shemp's standards.

Ass.
Standards are not a requirement for news readers. All that is required is that they read the news that is put in front of them. Other than that, they should be seen and not heard.

boxcar
03-15-2018, 05:24 PM
Standards are not a requirement for news readers. All that is required is that they read the news that is put in front of them. Other than that, they should be seen and not heard.

Well, I guess The Clock told you, Tom. :lol::lol:

Clocker
03-15-2018, 05:41 PM
Well, I guess The Clock told you, Tom. :lol::lol:

No, I pointed out that Shep, like many on TV, does not understand his role or his limitations.

davew
03-15-2018, 07:19 PM
The bridge walkway was still under construction and not open to public for another month or so. There seems to be overkill on construction for a people overpass. There were 4-6 workers on top of the bridge. Some are saying there was supposed to be a center support that was not in place yet.

It reminds me of the I-5 interstate chunk that fell in the river near Mt Vernon, WA. A truck with an oversized load hit the corner of the overhead span and moved the center support enough for a freeway section to drop (which were just butt joints on top of a support).

Clocker
03-15-2018, 07:30 PM
The bridge was assembled near-by then lifted by cranes and put in place. It wasn't finished yet when it fell.

This is not the first bridge collapse for the builder.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/15/the-bridge-that-collapsed-near-a-florida-university-was-installed-in-a-single-morning.html

boxcar
03-15-2018, 08:50 PM
No, I pointed out that Shep, like many on TV, does not understand his role or his limitations.

Yeah, I know. I was just spinning it the other way. The big problem with the Sheps of the news world is that they want to become the news. They are the stars of the news. That no one can invest themselves into the news like they can, etc. It's a big ego trip for many of these guys.

boxcar
03-15-2018, 08:51 PM
The bridge was assembled near-by then lifted by cranes and put in place. It wasn't finished yet when it fell.

This is not the first bridge collapse for the builder.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/15/the-bridge-that-collapsed-near-a-florida-university-was-installed-in-a-single-morning.html

I have a feeling this guy's construction days are over.

davew
03-15-2018, 10:21 PM
I have a feeling this guy's construction days are over.

The liability insurance company is going to take a very large hit as well.

jocko699
03-15-2018, 10:24 PM
They said they were conducting a stress test on new bridge. Looks like it failed. Sort of dumb not to reroute traffic during the test.
Poor people are still trapped. How sad!!

If they were performing it while vehicles were allowed to pass underneath it than if violates so may OSHA standards its not even funny.

jocko699
03-15-2018, 10:27 PM
This all doesn't make sense me. I am a safety professional and I cannot believe they opened a road underneath it before the testing was completed.

While OSHA is now on the scene I believe NTSB will spearhead the investigation.

It was brought up earlier about Chinese or other lesser steel. I only saw a few pictures, been sick as a dog, and the way it came down I would first focus on the connectors.

Either way accidents only happen due to either incompetence or an absolute disregard to many structural standards. The same thing happened with "Bug Blue" in Milwaukee. Regulations were not followed due to operational requirements.

Clocker
03-15-2018, 11:26 PM
Inquiring minds want to know. Why was a $15 million pedestrian bridge built with federal money needed here, right next to a crosswalk at an intersection? An intersection that certainly could have Walk and Don't Walk signs, if it doesn't already?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DYW9XbfVoAAw3il?format=jpg&name=900x900

davew
03-15-2018, 11:30 PM
The bridge was being built because last year a student was hit by a car and died crossing the street. I am not sure if they were at the intersection or jaywalking.

When this bridge came down it killed one student, but could have been much worse because the school is now on spring break.

Clocker
03-15-2018, 11:43 PM
The bridge was being built because last year a student was hit by a car and died crossing the street. I am not sure if they were at the intersection or jaywalking.

Quiz: The average college student is going to:

A) Walk the 50 feet from the intersection to the bridge, ascend the stairs or ramp, cross the bridge, descend on the other side, and walk back to the intersection.

B) Cross at the intersection, legally or otherwise.

Tom
03-16-2018, 10:43 AM
Why was any federal money used at all?
0 sense to that.

And, as Clocker says, there is a stop light and cross walk.
Beyond that is natural selection at work.

If a college kid can't cross a road........

Racetrack Playa
03-16-2018, 11:21 AM
:coffee:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O51u7m2JG0k

Tom
03-16-2018, 11:31 AM
Should be paid for by the college.
ie, raise tuition to pay for it.

You know, like we have to raise taxes.

I, for one, get absolutely 0 benefit from this stupid idea.
Teach the idiots how to use a crosswalk.

Racetrack Playa
03-16-2018, 11:40 AM
That is a very busy road, a bridge makes sense. I think it would pay for itself.
the Apartments are being built acroos the street, which means tons more foot traffic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvZVuN-CHnE

Racetrack Playa
03-16-2018, 11:55 AM
One more video to show the lay of the land. Footage taken over winter break, the reason for light traffic I'm sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjPoVELVUgM

boxcar
03-16-2018, 12:20 PM
0 sense to that.

The road was deemed by snowflake students to be UNsafe spaces. :coffee:

davew
03-16-2018, 12:26 PM
The stoplight was red when the bridge fell and there are pictures with a couple vehicles side by side with just headlights and a little of hood sticking out - everyone in those vehicles are dead and if there a couple vehicles directly behind them, flattened by the cement slab.

Clocker
03-16-2018, 12:53 PM
0 sense to that.

The University said the bridge was needed because the crosswalk was too dangerous. And the crosswalk was too dangerous because too many students ignored the traffic signals. And those same students are going to use a near-by bridge?

The bridge was built using newly developed accelerated bridge construction (ABC) techniques. Those techniques were developed and promoted by the Accelerated Bridge Construction University Transportation Center (ABC-UTC).

By coincidence, ABC-UTC is a federally funded program at Florida International University. In addition to $14 million in federal money to build the FIU bridge, the ABC-UTC program at FIU was funded with $5 million in fed money.

Tom
03-16-2018, 04:21 PM
Are they smart enough to navigate stairs?

Hry, build any damn you want but, YOU pay for it, not me.

THIS is why taxes are still way too high - throwing away money on feel good shit that benefits no one.

When I was 4 years old. I crossed main street on my own.
I didn't need no steenking bridges.

Decent, innocent people died for no reason, other that Floriduh has dumb-ass college students.

Explains the hanging chads.
Dumber than dirt in Floriduh.

Clocker
03-16-2018, 04:26 PM

You don't even need to be that smart to be a Dem candidate for president today. :rolleyes:

JustRalph
03-17-2018, 11:06 AM
https://youtube.com/watch?v=Ucflj-MsJBI

Clocker
03-17-2018, 12:54 PM

How about a hint? I don't click on blind links, especially to youtube. But that's just me. Or is it just me? :popcorn:

OntheRail
03-17-2018, 01:10 PM

That will be invaluable to the investigation. You can see the span deform on the right side at the 7 sec mark almost right under the guy standing on top. Makes one wonder if it was stressed during the move? Maybe that right hand turn over the crown of the road caused some flexing.. cracking. :coffee:

OntheRail
03-17-2018, 01:19 PM
How about a hint? I don't click on blind links, especially to youtube. But that's just me. Or is it just me? :popcorn:

Odd I could of sworn it said DASH CAM VID OF COLLAPSE or maybe I'm psychic ... either way JR has never put up an ill link. :coffee:

Clocker
03-17-2018, 01:21 PM
Makes one wonder if it was stressed during the move? Maybe that right hand turn over the crown of the road caused some flexing.. cracking. :coffee:

Oops.

MIAMI (Reuters) - The engineer overseeing a newly built footbridge that crumbled onto a Miami roadway, killing at least six people, had called the state Transportation Department two days before the collapse to report cracks found in the span, the agency said on Friday.

But the engineer’s message, including his assertion that the cracking posed no safety issue, was left on the answering machine of a department employee who was away from the office at the time, and it was not retrieved until Friday, a day after the tragedy, according to the agency. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-florida-bridge/engineer-reported-cracks-in-bridge-before-fatal-collapse-transportation-agency-idUSKCN1GS16M

Tom
03-17-2018, 02:02 PM
How can a stress test be allowed with live traffic underneath?
This is not incompetence, it is criminal.
Jail time is called for here.

Clocker
03-17-2018, 02:10 PM
Odd I could of sworn it said DASH CAM VID OF COLLAPSE or maybe I'm psychic ... either way JR has never put up an ill link. :coffee:

I never said he did. But I want a hint that it might be something interesting to me before clicking on anything on the web.

fast4522
03-17-2018, 02:18 PM

Exactly right, and if those contractors put bids in for building the wall it is a cinch they are SOL.

jocko699
03-17-2018, 02:42 PM
Munilla Construction has been investigated by OAHA 7 times in the past 5 years for potential violations. It seems they were cited 11 times.

https://www.osha.gov/pls/imis/establishment.search?p_logger=1&establishment=munilla+construction&State=all&officetype=all&Office=all&p_case=all&p_violations_exist=all&startmonth=03&startday=17&startyear=2013&endmonth=03&endday=17&endyear=2018

davew
03-17-2018, 03:13 PM

I suspect those who said a stress test was going on are wrong. There was a man up there on the roof and they were bringing up tools and supplies (because the bridge was months away from being complete).

boxcar
03-17-2018, 03:23 PM

Hry, build any damn you want but, YOU pay for it, not me.

THIS is why taxes are still way too high - throwing away money on feel good shit that benefits no one.

When I was 4 years old. I crossed main street on my own.
I didn't need no steenking bridges.

Decent, innocent people died for no reason, other that Floriduh has dumb-ass college students.

Explains the hanging chads.
Dumber than dirt in Floriduh.

Except for those of us who live in the Swamp. There you have to be smart to survive. ;)

PaceAdvantage
03-20-2018, 07:39 PM
How about a hint? I don't click on blind links, especially to youtube. But that's just me. Or is it just me? :popcorn:Pretty sure it's just you.

Why would you be hesitant to click on a link to youtube, assuming you know it's a link to youtube?

Clocker
03-20-2018, 07:46 PM
Why would you be hesitant to click on a link to youtube, assuming you know it's a link to youtube?

Because the vast majority of youtube links I have clicked on in the past were boring and uninformative. So I stopped.

jocko699
03-20-2018, 09:43 PM
Because the vast majority of youtube links I have clicked on in the past were boring and uninformative. So I stopped.

I love youtube links!!!!!!

Clocker
03-20-2018, 11:16 PM
I love youtube links!!!!!!

I love chocolate ice cream. I don't try to convince people that don't that they should change their minds. :p

PaceAdvantage
03-20-2018, 11:25 PM
It's just kind of a weird phobia...but to each their own I say.

jocko699
03-20-2018, 11:30 PM
I love chocolate ice cream. I don't try to convince people that don't that they should change their minds. :p

So you never debate to change minds, check?

Clocker
03-20-2018, 11:46 PM
So you never debate to change minds, check?

I never debate to change tastes.

Overwhelming personal experience has led me to the conclusion that youtube is generally a waste of time for me. Why would anyone find that so hard to accept that they would want to argue about it?

It is as totally illogical as trying to convince me that Miller Lite tastes great.

jocko699
03-20-2018, 11:56 PM

Overwhelming personal experience has led me to the conclusion that youtube is generally a waste of time for me. Why would anyone find that so hard to accept that they would want to argue about it?

It is as totally illogical as trying to convince me that Miller Lite tastes great.

And yet you do.............................

garyscpa
03-21-2018, 03:08 PM

Less filling.