PDA

View Full Version : Mike Smith

ldiatone
03-13-2018, 01:39 PM
Paulick ReportLike Page
20 hrs ·
Hall of Fame jockey Mike Smith was given a three-day suspension by the Santa Anita stewards because of the incident in Saturday's G2 San Felipe Stakes

from facebook

onefast99
03-13-2018, 02:11 PM
Paulick ReportLike Page
20 hrs ·
Hall of Fame jockey Mike Smith was given a three-day suspension by the Santa Anita stewards because of the incident in Saturday's G2 San Felipe Stakes

from facebook
So that should take the spotlight off the stewards for a bit....https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.P_QydnqSbaHEtTtB4MMPzgHaFj&w=233&h=172&c=7&o=5&pid=1.7

Niko
03-13-2018, 11:49 PM
Thought he would come down but you never know. They didn't take him down for the action on the turn, only coming out in the stretch (per initial stewards explanation). I've seen worse in the stretch without days off.

M Smith probably told the stewards to go F themselves :lol: Got 3 days for it

*Didn't watch the replays other than after the race and the stewards reasoning for the dq, maybe it was worse than my initial impression.

NY BRED
03-17-2018, 10:02 AM
While I am not a fan of Mike Smith , I do agree with his statement
that JJ had the entire track to compete with him as against coming
that close to him in the turn.

I remember an incident with JJ and Calvin Borel when both Jockeys
were trying to slug each other while being interviewed after a major race.

Btw, I AM a fan of JJ , love the way he rides, BUT in this small field
there was no reason to get that close and risk injury to both horses and riders.

Totally on the side of Mr. Baffert and slapping Mike Smith with a suspension
is bizarre and harmful to the owners, let alone to the tbreds

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

GMB@BP
03-17-2018, 10:40 AM
In an odd transformation the NY riders are much closer to the Socal riders of the 1990's...the riding in NY is much more aggressive in both positional and herding tactics than in socal. They all do it to some degree, but has many have said, no way does that minor contact come down in NY. Its not unusual to see horses pushed out 6-7 paths in NY.

Tom
03-17-2018, 12:01 PM
I don't think you would come down in NY if you used a lasso and bull whip!

dilanesp
03-17-2018, 12:56 PM
In an odd transformation the NY riders are much closer to the Socal riders of the 1990's...the riding in NY is much more aggressive in both positional and herding tactics than in socal. They all do it to some degree, but has many have said, no way does that minor contact come down in NY. Its not unusual to see horses pushed out 6-7 paths in NY.

In California, bumping near the wire and winning by a nose has always resulted in a DQ, because the stewards say that any bump can cost a horse the victory when the margin is a nose.

cj
03-17-2018, 01:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phl--sMgDEI

GMB@BP
03-17-2018, 02:32 PM
LOL, CJ...maybe they didnt want to take Chantel down for political reasons, I mean there is no excuse so just trying to come up with a reason.

dilanesp
03-17-2018, 03:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phl--sMgDEI

I believe that one was ruled an "equally at fault".

One of the most iconic DQ's in the history of the Santa Anita Handicap (1982) was an example of the rule I am talking about. Perrault moved John Henry out and that was enough because he won by a nose.

Another one was Eleven Stitches-Caternan in the Hollywood Gold Cup.

This is not some strange new rule. This has been the rule in California for decades.

cj
03-17-2018, 04:04 PM
I believe that one was ruled an "equally at fault".

One of the most iconic DQ's in the history of the Santa Anita Handicap (1982) was an example of the rule I am talking about. Perrault moved John Henry out and that was enough because he won by a nose.

Another one was Eleven Stitches-Caternan in the Hollywood Gold Cup.

This is not some strange new rule. This has been the rule in California for decades.

Bad rules can be changed. If that was equally at fault, so was the one last week.

Tom
03-17-2018, 07:31 PM
When HRTV was still around, they would be on XM radio at noon. Every Thursday, they had on the head steward from SA as a guest.

Guy was the dumbest moron I ever heard speak.
He had an attitude that he was a God and got to interpret the rules any way he felt like. One week the outcome was never affected, the next, the fouled horse obviously would have won.

Real Magic 8 Ball of a guy.
How how can a billion dollar industry hand on the whim of 2- bit judges?

NY BRED
03-17-2018, 11:34 PM
last thought, any thoughts on how the stewards would have
reacted if Mr. Smith had called a fouls on JJ and/or bounced around in the saddle ..

GMB@BP
03-18-2018, 12:59 AM
last thought, any thoughts on how the stewards would have
reacted if Mr. Smith had called a fouls on JJ and/or bounced around in the saddle ..

The winner cannot claim foul, thats why a lot of people said had Bolt D Oro won it likely would have gone the other way for the turn, despite their comments.