PDA

View Full Version : San Felipe

jocko699
03-10-2018, 06:01 PM
That was one hell of a race between McKinzie and Bolt D'Oro.

jocko699
03-10-2018, 06:06 PM
Be great to have another Affirmed/Alydar rivalry.

Robert Fischer
03-10-2018, 06:08 PM
Hall of fame ride by Castellano to get first jump and brush into Mckinzie, and Mckinzie still won. Surprised he had the nerve to call foul on Mike Smith.

Great race.

I wanted to make a sizeable bet on Mckinzie, but I was scared off due to some tail swishing in the lane of the Sham. Wish I had (assuming objection is disallowed).

Both ran very well.

luisbe
03-10-2018, 06:08 PM
Be great to have another Affirmed/Alydar rivalry.
That's taking too long to decide, what do you guys think?

dilanesp
03-10-2018, 06:10 PM
Good call.

jocko699
03-10-2018, 06:11 PM
Second time in 4 races McKinzie almost sends another sideways. I think it was the right call also.

cj
03-10-2018, 06:14 PM
If that is consistently called a DQ we'd have 100 a week in this country.

Robert Fischer
03-10-2018, 06:16 PM
Oh man...

what an awful incompetent call by the stewards...

CLEARLY a foul by Castellano on the turn.

Yet they penalized Mike Smith's retaliation at the top of the stretch.

Once you get fouled on the turn, it becomes 'self defense'. There's no way you can call the retaliation, and pretend like the race up to that point wouldn't have been much different without Castellano's great (but illegal) move on the turn.

Soooo Glad I didn't bet my bankroll on Mckinzie. Would have ruined my month with that call.

luisbe
03-10-2018, 06:17 PM
Well, here is my observation.
The brush Castellano produced on the turn almost unseated Mike Smith, who then controlled himself but nearing the wire hits the horse 3 times left handed crowding Bolt D'Oro. I'd bet McKinzie next time out.

dilanesp
03-10-2018, 06:25 PM
Oh man...

what an awful incompetent call by the stewards...

CLEARLY a foul by Castellano on the turn.

Yet they penalized Mike Smith's retaliation at the top of the stretch.

Once you get fouled on the turn, it becomes 'self defense'. There's no way you can call the retaliation, and pretend like the race up to that point wouldn't have been much different without Castellano's great (but illegal) move on the turn.

Soooo Glad I didn't bet my bankroll on Mckinzie. Would have ruined my month with that call.

Retaliation is very dangerous.

This isn't hockey. The two hard bumps in the stretch cost Bolt the win. And yes, this gets consistently called at SA.

Robert Fischer
03-10-2018, 06:31 PM
Retaliation is very dangerous.

This isn't hockey. The two hard bumps in the stretch cost Bolt the win. And yes, this gets consistently called at SA.

once you foul with a first-run move on the turn, that should be it

you don't get to call foul any more. Maybe, maybe if some 3rd horse, deep closer comes up late and runs you off the track, - but not in regards to a dual with the horse you previously fouled.

safety issue? - I agree. Levy a fine.

GMB@BP
03-10-2018, 06:34 PM
Whats this retailiation bullshit...BoltDOro came in at the top of the stretch and about knocked the rider off, they stayed straight and at the very end there was a slight drift with very little contact.

Just dont see definitive reason to make a change.....it all dont matter for the real race in a couple months.

Tom
03-10-2018, 06:36 PM
Too bad such a really good race was marred the actions of 5 pinheads - two in the saddles and three in the booth.

f2tornado
03-10-2018, 07:02 PM
My tickets all had 1,4/1,4 so I cannot complain. For some reason I do like McKinzie more than Bolt but probably got a few extra bucks the way it went. The final time of race was nothing special but perhaps the surface was dulled by rain.

jocko699
03-10-2018, 07:32 PM
My tickets all had 1,4/1,4 so I cannot complain. For some reason I do like McKinzie more than Bolt but probably got a few extra bucks the way it went. The final time of race was nothing special but perhaps the surface was dulled by rain.

Don't know about that, I think the number will be very high.

f2tornado
03-10-2018, 07:44 PM
Don't know about that, I think the number will be very high.

I fully expect a solid BSF but the raw time was more than two seconds slower than California Chrome's version. Obviously not the same track condition.

cj
03-10-2018, 08:50 PM
I fully expect a solid BSF but the raw time was more than two seconds slower than California Chrome's version. Obviously not the same track condition.

Track condition aside, the track is very different (slower) the past year at SA.

dilanesp
03-10-2018, 09:31 PM
Track condition aside, the track is very different (slower) the past year at SA.

Yes. California Chrome's San Felipe was on the same card as Game On Dude"s 1:58 flat!

Vinnie
03-10-2018, 10:11 PM
CC's San Felipe was awesome! He made it look as though he was pretty much on cruise control all the way around the track that day. I believe there has only been one San Felipe Stakes run at a faster clip than the one he ran and I believe off the top of my head that may have been run by Consolidator...

PowerUpPaynter
03-10-2018, 11:54 PM
That was 2 heavy weights. I want to see it again in the Santa Anita Derby.

jay68802
03-11-2018, 12:28 AM

I went to Fonner Park today and sat with some guys that I have been involved with handicapping wise for a long time. All of them said the same thing, do that again. Love to see the top contenders face each other and as some would say, "bring it". This was not a "prep" race, both showed they are in it to win it.

f2tornado
03-11-2018, 12:34 AM

Baffert is known for taking a hike. If Solomini tanks next week then I would not be surprised to see McKinzie show up in Arkansas.

upthecreek
03-11-2018, 06:14 AM
Baffert is known for taking a hike. If Solomini tanks next week then I would not be surprised to see McKinzie show up in Arkansas.
Baffert was interviewed after the race by TVG and was quite upset. When asked about a rematch, he said after that decision he had a sour taste in his mouth and was seriously thinking of shipping out of state.

upthecreek
03-11-2018, 07:47 AM
https://twitter.com/TVG/status/972614112545980416

Afleet
03-11-2018, 11:08 AM
I didn't have a bet on the race. I would have let the result stand

Thomas Roulston
03-11-2018, 11:19 AM
Baffert has to know that the extra 1/16th of a mile in the Santa Anita Derby is clearly in Bolt d'Oro's favor.

Lemon Drop Husker
03-11-2018, 11:54 AM
https://twitter.com/TVG/status/972614112545980416

That is a pretty classy interview for a trainer that just lost 6 figures on a steward's decision for him and his connections. Not sure I'd have been even the slightest bit calm-headed, but this isn't exactly Baffert's 1st rodeo either.

Great race. And as he said, 2 really serious horses. Would be great to see the "drama" of these two colts carry out over the next couple of months. :jump:

upthecreek
03-11-2018, 11:58 AM
That is a pretty classy interview for a trainer that just lost 6 figures on a steward's decision for him and his connections. Not sure I'd have been even the slightest bit calm-headed, but this isn't exactly Baffert's 1st rodeo either.

Great race. And as he said, 2 really serious horses. Would be great to see the "drama" of these two colts carry out over the next couple of months. :jump:

After the interview they threw back to Todd , for once he was speechless. He said he was stunned by what Baffert said. I thought he was right in everything he said.

Tom
03-11-2018, 04:27 PM
I hope Justify wins and gets DQ's today! :pound::pound::pound:

Robert Fischer
03-11-2018, 05:01 PM
I hope Justify wins and gets DQ's today! :pound::pound::pound:

Baffert is going to start looking like Dr. Phil if that happens :)

dilanesp
03-11-2018, 06:06 PM
What did the Beyer turn out to be?

Robert Fischer
03-11-2018, 06:35 PM
What did the Beyer turn out to be?

Afleet
03-12-2018, 03:32 PM
Smith got 3 days for his his ride on Mckenzie

f2tornado
03-12-2018, 08:11 PM
Equibase rating was 118, 10 points higher than California Chrome. Highest since the firm began tracking such things. Coincidentally, the previous highest was Bolt's sire at 117. Ignoring the stewards, Solomini is the only horse to finish ahead of McKinzie. Looking forward to his Rebel run.

upthecreek
03-17-2018, 08:18 AM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/more/la-sp-bolt-mckinzie-20180316-story.html#nws=mcnewsletter

PaceAdvantage
03-20-2018, 07:29 PM
I like that Baffert welcomed the tough race for his horse...he trains them hard...he welcomes a tough race for them...battle tested...

That's why he wins Derbies...

Vinnie
03-27-2018, 02:51 AM
I like Bolt and McKinzie, however, there San Felipe was nowhere close to being in the Ball Park of Cal. Chrome's. For goodness sakes Chrome ran the 2nd fastest San Felipe ever literally on cruise control at the end and over a full two seconds faster than these guys. The Simple eye test tells you that in this years renewal of the race they weren't traveling anywhere nearly as fast as CC was when he ran in the San Felipe.

SharpCat
03-28-2018, 12:54 AM
I like Bolt and McKinzie, however, there San Felipe was nowhere close to being in the Ball Park of Cal. Chrome's. For goodness sakes Chrome ran the 2nd fastest San Felipe ever literally on cruise control at the end and over a full two seconds faster than these guys. The Simple eye test tells you that in this years renewal of the race they weren't traveling anywhere nearly as fast as CC was when he ran in the San Felipe.

Why are you comparing Bolt and McKinzie to what Chrome did 4 years ago on a track surface that's vastly different? You do realize that compared to 4 years ago the track at Santa Anita has been quicksand. I've never see so many horses at Santa Anita run 6 furlongs in 1:12 or fail to break 1:40 for a mile.