PDA

View Full Version : Rome.....Italy

JustRalph
03-04-2018, 03:32 AM
https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/02/europe/rome-decline-italy-election-intl/index.html

Sad state indeed

reckless
03-04-2018, 06:26 AM
https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/02/europe/rome-decline-italy-election-intl/index.html

Sad state indeed

This is why, in all probability, the center-right coalition of Silvio Berlusconi will probably in the Italian elections today.

PaceAdvantage
03-04-2018, 02:15 PM
I thought Europe was supposed to be a lefty paradise and something we MUST model the USA after...

HalvOnHorseracing
03-04-2018, 02:43 PM
I thought Europe was supposed to be a lefty paradise and something we MUST model the USA after...

When you have been in Europe, did it have that lefty paradise feel?

boxcar
03-04-2018, 03:11 PM

Be patient. It will definitely have that "paradise" look and feel after the gal mayor of Rome meets with mayors more enlightened and progressive than she is that hail from LA, SF and San Diego. The last three cities have been called a "National Disgrace". :coffee:

Marshall Bennett
03-04-2018, 04:15 PM
Paris is one of the filthiest cities on earth. Just because the tour bus doesn't take you to it, just go for a 2 mile walk downtown in any direction. It actually smells bad. Everything's dirty and neglected looking. To make matters worse few speak English, or simply refuse to because the majority despise foreigners, particularly Americans.
I'd prefer Rome and its garbage any day. :)

jocko699
03-04-2018, 04:37 PM
Paris is one of the filthiest cities on earth. Just because the tour bus doesn't take you to it, just go for a 2 mile walk downtown in any direction. It actually smells bad. Everything's dirty and neglected looking. To make matters worse few speak English, or simply refuse to because the majority despise foreigners, particularly Americans.

Not a big fan of France either. Down south in Cannes and Nice they have the same issues but of course topless beaches:headbanger::headbanger::headbanger: Now taking the train to Monte Carlo opens up a whole new world

PaceAdvantage
03-04-2018, 06:30 PM
When you have been in Europe, did it have that lefty paradise feel?Yes, I can see from my post now where you would gather I was speaking from personal experience...:rolleyes:

barahona44
03-04-2018, 08:29 PM

I've been to a lot of foreign countries and have been to France twice. (My sister lives in the UK so going to Paris is like a Bostonian going to Philly).I have to say that this snooty French attitude was something I never experienced.Of course, I also make an effort to learn some simple words in the language (knowing who, what, where, when and how in the local language helps) .The proudest moment of my tourism career was when a French family came up to me and asked me directions.In French.Luckily, their teenage son knew a little English , so with my map book , I was able to render aid.But I don't have a problem with a little frostiness when travelling abroad. I'm an uninvited guest there and I behave accordingly.Although it's great if I am able to get help in English, I'm certainly not going to demand it.

As for the thread's topic, Italy thrives on chaos.They wouldn't know what to do with an orderly way of life.And out of that chaos has come some of the greatest achievements in western civilization.

HalvOnHorseracing
03-04-2018, 08:41 PM

We may not agree often, but you hit this one on the head.

HalvOnHorseracing
03-04-2018, 09:09 PM
We were staying in the Montmartre in Paris and had decided to do laundry to get us through the rest of the trip with clean clothes. I hadn't been in a pay laundromat in at least 40 years, but when I used to take my clothes to the laundromat they had machines where you put coins in the coin holder, pushed it in and the machine would start. When we got to the laundromat down the street in Paris there didn't seem to be coin slots anywhere on the machine. Anyway, for the first ten minutes I was trying to figure out how it worked. Finally someone else came into the laundromat (probably a lefty). I asked him in French if he spoke English. You could see he was trying to decide whether to say yes or no. Finally he said yes. I asked him how the machines worked and it turns out there was a small coin slot on the wall tucked in a corner. You put in the number of the machine, put in the money and voila! I felt stupid and I'm sure I confirmed his opinion of Americans.

HalvOnHorseracing
03-04-2018, 09:19 PM
Be patient. It will definitely have that "paradise" look and feel after the gal mayor of Rome meets with mayors more enlightened and progressive than she is that hail from LA, SF and San Diego. The last three cities have been called a "National Disgrace". :coffee:

Who called them that?

Pick any large American city and you'll find some shithole neighborhoods. Trust me. Hanging out at Del Mar for a few sunny days in late August is pretty close to heaven.

jocko699
03-04-2018, 10:16 PM
Who called them that?

Pick any large American city and you'll find some shithole neighborhoods. Trust me. Hanging out at Del Mar for a few sunny days in late August is pretty close to heaven.

The old town of Delmar is the best and the Poseidon restaurant is unbelievable:headbanger::headbanger::headbanger:

barahona44
03-04-2018, 10:35 PM
We were staying in the Montmartre in Paris and had decided to do laundry to get us through the rest of the trip with clean clothes. I hadn't been in a pay laundromat in at least 40 years, but when I used to take my clothes to the laundromat they had machines where you put coins in the coin holder, pushed it in and the machine would start. When we got to the laundromat down the street in Paris there didn't seem to be coin slots anywhere on the machine. Anyway, for the first ten minutes I was trying to figure out how it worked. Finally someone else came into the laundromat (probably a lefty). I asked him in French if he spoke English. You could see he was trying to decide whether to say yes or no. Finally he said yes. I asked him how the machines worked and it turns out there was a small coin slot on the wall tucked in a corner. You put in the number of the machine, put in the money and voila! I felt stupid and I'm sure I confirmed his opinion of Americans.

Well he confirmed for himself that les americains are, how you say, les eediots and you got clean clothes.

I'd call that a win-win. :cool:

JustRalph
03-04-2018, 11:40 PM
A Frenchman doing laundry? Who’d a thunk it......

incoming
03-05-2018, 01:19 AM

I would think in Paris a concierge would be available for that kind of service.....of course, I already know that I'm a smartass:blush:;)

senortout
03-05-2018, 03:44 AM
Heckuva thread....when you pass a shitty looking part of a town, any town, its the lefties fault. Very cut and dried....
Even noticed how someone on the thread worked in 'chaos'

reckless
03-05-2018, 04:30 AM
A Frenchman doing laundry? Who’d a thunk it......

I think that's possible.

It's the French women that don't often wash -- clothes or themselves.

woodtoo
03-05-2018, 10:03 AM
Why haven't they blamed President Trump for the election results, instead they blame Putin. Damn Russians stealing Presidents glory.:mad:

Marshall Bennett
03-05-2018, 11:56 AM
I think that's possible.

It's the French women that don't often wash -- clothes or themselves.
Unless times have changed, they don't shave anything either. Nothing. :eek:

reckless
03-05-2018, 01:37 PM
Unless times have changed, they don't shave anything either. Nothing. :eek:

Ha. Ha. About that shaving bit ... I thought it was Italian women who didn't shave. :)

horses4courses
03-05-2018, 11:13 PM
Wow!

Our very own resident Don Juan aficionados.
Quite obviously, men of experience in all things amorous.
Connoisseurs of the clitoris....mavens of les mademoiselles.

Jesus H........:bang:

woodtoo
03-06-2018, 10:57 AM
Wow!

Our very own resident Don Juan aficionados.
Quite obviously, men of experience in all things amorous.
Connoisseurs of the clitoris....mavens of les mademoiselles.

Jesus H........:bang:

Dont stain your blue jeans trying to get a leg up on Monica.:lol: