PDA

View Full Version : Need computer assistance

Storm Cadet
08-24-2004, 10:43 PM
I have windows XP home edition...and my Sony Vaio is getting slower and slower at start up. How do I find out how many programs are loading on startup, and how do I safely stop programs from starting up at boot up.

Many thanks in advance...PS I'd ask BillW but he's a Linux not Windows guy! :D

betchatoo
08-24-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Storm Cadet
I have windows XP home edition...and my Sony Vaio is getting slower and slower at start up. How do I find out how many programs are loading on startup, and how do I safely stop programs from starting up at boot up.

Many thanks in advance...PS I'd ask BillW but he's a Linux not Windows guy! :D

Go to start, run and type in msconfig. Go to startup tab and it will tell you which programs are being started up when yu boot. Uncheck the ones you don't want at start-up. When finished click OK and restart computer when prompted

Tom
08-24-2004, 11:23 PM
Thanks from me, too. I have the same omputer and same problem. Shuts down slow, too.
My new eMachine, side by side, starts and stops much faster.

SAL
08-24-2004, 11:49 PM
You can also download a program developed by Microsoft called bootvis. They no longer offer it at the Microsoft website, but you can get it as freeware here:

bootvis download (http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=664)

CapperLou
08-25-2004, 12:01 AM
I have XP Home on the desktop Dell 2.4 Pentium with only 256K. I'm told to upgrade memory to at least 512K at this point.
What would you gurus advise? Computer has slowed up in opening and closing. Going to download utility SAL mentioned earlier--hope it's not complex to use because I'm no expert in this area!!

All the best,

CapperLou

NoDayJob
08-25-2004, 01:27 AM
Go to:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2913.html

Down load RAMFreer 1.23 (IT'S FREE)

NDJ

CapperLou
08-25-2004, 01:47 AM
Is the download for memory or to speed up opening and closing?
Thx for assistance. Should I still get 512K?

All the best,

CapperLou

JustRalph
08-25-2004, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by CapperLou

All the best,

CapperLou

Get the 512......... you will notice it most while browsing the Internet.........

stop those programs from loading on bootup too.........

especially if you are still using win98..........

NoDayJob
08-25-2004, 04:59 AM

All the best,

CapperLou

Try to get as much memory as your computer will handle, provided it is within reach of your budget. For a faster startup eliminate all programs that you don't need. The down load is to recover memory that is gobbled up by MicroSoft. It will make your computer run faster.

NDJ

CapperLou
08-25-2004, 07:53 AM
Thanks guys for helping me out--appreciate it. I downloaded the utility and installed it. Today I'll be calling Dell or going to website to upgrade memory--will go to next higher than 512k.

Now, I'm running windows XP Home here--I tried to go to what was mentioned earlier to eliminate some of the programs that are loading at start. Could not do it properly--please send me a PM and walk me thru this if possible--would appreciate it.

All the best,

CapperLou

NoDayJob
08-25-2004, 12:26 PM
[i] Now, I'm running windows XP Home here--I tried to go to what was mentioned earlier to eliminate some of the programs that are loading at start. Could not do it properly--please send me a PM and walk me thru this if possible--would appreciate it.

All the best,

CapperLou [/B]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click "START" ---> Click "RUN" (right hand column) ---> Type in "msconfig" ---> Click "STARTUP" tab ---> Uncheck programs you aren't using.

NDJ

csmith
08-25-2004, 12:43 PM
Win xp does not have msconfig function

JustRalph
08-25-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by csmith
Win xp does not have msconfig function

Wrong ! yes it does.........

csmith
08-25-2004, 01:12 PM
I'm sorry if I gave bad info but I have never been able to run msconfig in Windows xp home or Professional.

How do you access it.

If I try the way I used to access it in Win 98 I get an error

betchatoo
08-25-2004, 01:43 PM
I'm sorry if I gave bad info but I have never been able to run msconfig in Windows xp home or Professional.

How do you access it.

If I try the way I used to access it in Win 98 I get an error

Just go to start, click run, type in msconfig, hit okay

csmith
08-25-2004, 02:18 PM
I don't know how you guys are doing it in Win XP ???

Are you using Windows XP ???

I am very familiar with the utility msconfig, but I don't think it exsist in Windows Xp unless you have downloaded it from elsewhere.

I have 4 computers in front of me as I a typing this and
can't get msconfig to run on any of them.

I keep getting an error !!!!

cj
08-25-2004, 02:22 PM
Works on mine, XP pro, never downloaded it.

howardjim
08-25-2004, 02:36 PM
works on mine as well, XP Home, never downloaded it.

csmith
08-25-2004, 02:43 PM
Oh well..One of the things that can drive you crazy with computers,

As I stated I have 4 computers in front of me now

2 running Win XP Pro

One running Win xp Home

one running Windows 98 SE

The only one that I can run msconfig on is the Win 98 SE

Thanks for the info guys. I am going to find out why I can run it
on my XP machines

Thanks

CapperLou
08-25-2004, 02:43 PM
Got it to work on mine too---windows XP Home!!!

CapperLou

csmith
08-25-2004, 02:59 PM
Ok Thanks guys. I did a google search and found some info and found a utility file to download. All is working well now

Thanks to all

csmith
08-25-2004, 03:04 PM
I think what was happening is that most of you probably did an upgrade from an earlier version of Windows.

If this is the case that is why you have msconfig already on your system.

All of my computers are full clean install, not an upgrade, so maybe that is the difference ??.

No matter, I now have it working on all my systems

Cliff

NoDayJob
08-25-2004, 03:11 PM
I don't know how you guys are doing it in Win XP ???

Are you using Windows XP ???

I am very familiar with the utility msconfig, but I don't think it exsist in Windows Xp unless you have downloaded it from elsewhere.

I have 4 computers in front of me as I a typing this and
can't get msconfig to run on any of them.

I keep getting an error !!!!

If you have a utility such as Reg Cleaner (shareware) by Jouni Vuorio you might want to check your registries for possible errors. I can't think of anything else that might be causing your errors except a virus? I assume your computers are networked? That would account for none of the XP's working with "msconfig".

NDJ

NoDayJob
08-25-2004, 03:26 PM
For "msconfig" files; even for Win95

http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/msconfig.html

NDJ

Storm Cadet
08-25-2004, 09:23 PM
I'm sitting in the parking lot at Saratoga...another fun day with the crew.

Thanks for all your help. I had over 25 programs auto starting on startup. Laptop works great now.

:D :D :D

cato
08-25-2004, 10:47 PM
{Go to start, run and type in msconfig. Go to startup tab and it will tell you which programs are being started up when yu boot. Uncheck the ones you don't want at start-up. When finished click OK and restart computer when prompted}

Callling all computer folks==

Okay, I did that--there are something like 20 programs that are checked. They all have abbreviated names and I don't know which ones I need and which I don't need. Any suggestions/?

Thans, Cato

JustRalph
08-25-2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by cato
{Go to start, run and type in msconfig. Go to startup tab and it will tell you which programs are being started up when yu boot. Uncheck the ones you don't want at start-up. When finished click OK and restart computer when prompted}

Okay, I did that--there are something like 20 programs that are checked. They all have abbreviated names and I don't know which ones I need and which I don't need. Any suggestions/?

Thans, Cato

which version of Winders?

you can hit ctrl-alt-delete click on the processes tab and look at the names of all the things running.......... punch those names in google verbatim.........and almost everyone will come back on the first hit as something like this http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/navapw32/

click the link and it will tell you what the app is...........then you can decide.........

betchatoo
08-25-2004, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by cato

Thans, Cato

Go to
http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

It is in alphabetical order and will tell you what is necessary and what is not. It takes a little time but it is worth it. The code is as follows
Y: yes you need it
N: No you don't need it
U: it's up to you. It's a program some folks like at start-up and some don't
?: Not sure. It's a program we don't have a complete handle on yet
X: Get rid of it. You probably got it as the result of a virus

JustRalph
08-25-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by betchatoo
Go to
http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

X: Get rid of it. You probably got it as the result of a virus

I love that one...........

Hosshead
08-26-2004, 04:40 AM
I've got 1 item (that is checked) on my startup list that has a blank next to it. The location is HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Current Version. Out of the 16 or so items, I can only make out what 5 or so are. The rest are so cryptic, they could be anything. I'll try the sites suggested above, to find out more. Thanks
Question: If I have Norton Ghost on a 2nd (internal) hard drive, can I UNCHECK IT on the StartUP Menu? (XP)

JustRalph
08-26-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Hosshead
I've got 1 item (that is checked) on my startup list that has a blank next to it. The location is HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Current Version. Out of the 16 or so items, I can only make out what 5 or so are. The rest are so cryptic, they could be anything. I'll try the sites suggested above, to find out more. Thanks
Question: If I have Norton Ghost on a 2nd (internal) hard drive, can I UNCHECK IT on the StartUP Menu? (XP)

Ghost? Are you using it to copy from one drive to another on a regular or automatic basis? Are you aware of what Ghost does? I don't have the latest version.........so if you do.....I would be out of the loop on what you are using it for.......did you put it on for a specific reason?

thelyingthief
08-26-2004, 12:11 PM
some additional recommendations for improving speed:

1) visit blackviper.com; there are links there which discuss what functions XP boots. decide which services you want started, and disable the rest. system resources are significantly affected by the indexing and restore functions, for instance.

2. get a copy of tunexp from zdnet. a simple tweaker, it will allow you to set things like the default memory overhead allocation. default is set at 64 meg.; the higher the allocation, the less flushing of registers, the faster the application runs. and more accurately, too--less orphans running around when your CPU is multitasking and slips a beat.

3. definitely get a registry cleaner. i recommend regvac. it's simple, it's easy, it works.

4. definitely get adaware, run it often. from your description of the problems you encounter at bootup, it sounds like spyware is clogging your throughput. i also recommend you install spybot. it will catch what adaware misses. both utilitities are free. and DONT select always running to immunize your system. that's resource hogging, too.

5. despite the repeated suggestions to use msconfig in the preceding posts, i have had a LOT of problems with shutting down startup programs using it. XP wants to revert to the defaults listed in your startup folder, and will do so with some programs, like McAfee, which loads an entirely new set of registry dlls if you try to disable it from the config interface. you're much better off finding the programs listed in startup, opening up the programs one by one, and disabling the startup option from the options menu.

6. get rid of your desktop icons: those things are resource hogs. instead, dock your program shortcuts on the quicklaunch toolbar: less memory drain, and they start the programs FASTER than the desktop icons. if you can, disable those graphic icons next to your clock. those things suck up to 10 megs of ram each.

7. as a final recommendattion, though not for the faint of heart: disable your virus program. if you do this, make sure you go into outlook and disable your preview pane, and dont under any circumstances open attachments or emails from unknown sources; the only difference between a virus and an antivirus program is the assurance that one screws up your computer only while running. hmmm. but wait, they both do!!! exactly!!!! if necessary, and you have the knowledge disable MS's script handler. 99.9% of your viruses are instantiated using some script or another. anyway, disable your virus software, and exercise a lot of caution in your email and what sites you visit.

if you do all these things, you'll see a snap to that 2.4 gig processor that'll surprise you.

thelyingthief
08-26-2004, 12:53 PM
i didnt mention it, but use a disk cleaner often. i use diskeeper, a heavyduty disk defrag utility. defrag often.

Figman
08-26-2004, 02:19 PM
I use diskeeper as well and often. I do like "crap clear" better than Ad-Aware, however. Crap Cleaner is lightning fast as compared to Ad-Aware and available at www.ccleaner.com. It is also free!

Speed Figure
08-28-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Figman
I use diskeeper as well and often. I do like "crap clear" better than Ad-Aware, however. Crap Cleaner is lightning fast as compared to Ad-Aware and available at www.ccleaner.com. It is also free! Thanks for the crap cleaner hook up! Now If they could only make crap cleaner for handicapping software.:D

CapperLou
08-30-2004, 08:41 PM
Since I have all of the computer gurus on this thread--pease advise me what the best firewall is to use.

I have Norton Anti-Virus and they have an upgrade which includes a firewall etc.

Is there a better and more cost effective way to do this?

All the best,

CapperLou

P.S. I followed advice of earlier posts and downloaded that RAM freer program and it's helping. Also downloaded spybot, but am confused as to how many "red" files to delete. And---how often should you run it??

JustRalph
08-30-2004, 10:27 PM
Since I have all of the computer gurus on this thread--pease advise me what the best firewall is to use.

I have Norton Anti-Virus and they have an upgrade which includes a firewall etc.

Is there a better and more cost effective way to do this?

All the best,

CapperLou

P.S. I followed advice of earlier posts and downloaded that RAM freer program and it's helping. Also downloaded spybot, but am confused as to how many "red" files to delete. And---how often should you run it??

buy a router and skip the software firewall..............

delete em all in spybot and run it every 3 days or more often .......you can automate it under the "settings" menu

gillenr
08-31-2004, 09:48 AM
Cap, I agree with fixing all, but if you find that causes a problem, Spy archives them for restoring. I kinda look at them & decide(guess) which to keep - found one from Francegalop.
Just, why does my McAfee find attempts despite my router?

NoDayJob
09-01-2004, 02:56 AM
If you don't have a router I'd use Zone Alarm rather than Mcafee or Norton as your firewall. It's easy to use and maintain.

NDJ

Bruddah
09-01-2004, 03:13 AM
the difference of a router and a firewall.

JustRalph
09-01-2004, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by Bruddah
the difference of a router and a firewall.

Firewalls come in two flavors........software or Hardware

Software firewalls: Zone Alarm and the like are a piece of software that you install that controls entry and exit to your computer.

the hardware version resides on a router normally. The hardware version does not take up resources on your system like the software version does. If the software version goes haywire or gets corrupted you are in deep dooty.........take my word for it.

If the hardware version on a router goes bad (the router is probably bad actually) you just unplug it and you can still connect to the net and transfer files etc until you replace it. 39 bucks at your local walmart or 45 at a computer store.

The hardware router version is better. After all......you can find code online to defeat zone alarm..........and the like.........

Bruddah
09-01-2004, 04:01 AM
I have learned a lot on this thread. You guys are shortening my learning curve. Why I may be to the point, I can turn the darn thing on. <g>