PDA

View Full Version : Work Horse Pro 2.0

JimG
03-03-2002, 09:42 PM
If anyone owns Workhorse Pro 2.0 that was developed by Randy Kovach and Bob Cochran about 3 years ago, for sale or trade, please drop me an e-mail or reply here. Thanks.

Jim

JimG
09-12-2002, 06:31 AM
Thought I'd resurrect this one. I am still looking to buy or trade for Work Horse 2.0 Thanks.

TenZin
09-12-2002, 09:49 AM
Can I run a DOS program on XP? Please help me.

rrbauer
09-12-2002, 10:54 AM
Can you start a task/session that offers the DOS prompt? If so you can run DOS programs.

JimG
09-14-2002, 03:58 PM
Well,

I found WorkHorse 2.0 Looks like I'll be the only one on the board using it<g>.

Lefty
09-15-2002, 04:11 AM
Jim, congrats, one that escaped me. There are updates for this prgm at www.theprogrammer.com

JimG
09-15-2002, 07:50 AM
Don't sweat it Lefty. It does not use TSN files so you probably would not want it anyway. <g> Uses Bris or Trackmaster files. I'm going back to Bris anyway so it will fit in. I've had better luck using the Bris files rather than TSN with Equisim.

Jim

Lefty
09-15-2002, 12:19 PM
Yeah, I know... Hey, wonder if the rename trick works? Jim, what do you think makes the diff in your EquiSim between Bris or TSN.
Except for a Power rating and maybe some trainer info 'bout the same, aren't they?
Maybe that Advantage plan will work for you if W Pro can use them. If not try renaming the s file to an i file.

JimG
09-15-2002, 04:40 PM
Lefty,

I'll try the rename trick and keep my fingers crossed.<g> Like Equisim with Bris for the Trainer info...not only in the sims but in the past performances. I've always preferred the Bris speed rating as well.

Jim

Lefty
09-15-2002, 08:56 PM
Thanks for info. Funny about rename; it works for some prgms but not for all.

BillW
09-15-2002, 09:24 PM
Guys,

The issue is content compatability. The formats are the same with slight differences in content. Some fields exist in Bris (DRF sr/tv) and not in TSN. Other fields exist in TSN( #249 - Equibase Race Name) and not in Bris.

If the program you are using only uses the common fields it should work with either file, barring any contractual lockout by the author. If a program is expecting a field that is not common to both then you are stuck with the one file. The Bris files have more unique fields than the TSN files ... I guess that is why they are more expensive?

The Procaps and Multicaps files use the same format also with the same content problem (more value added data).

BTW both Bris and TSN have the file formats documented on their web sites if you are interested in looking at the differences.

Later,

Bill

LoganDimes
09-16-2002, 05:26 PM
If anyone would like to sell me some old multicaps files, I'd be interested, drop me a note.

JimG
09-20-2002, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Lefty
Thanks for info. Funny about rename; it works for some prgms but not for all.

Lefty,

As info, rename works in WHPro2. In fact it uses TSN data file or ProCaps file with the rename.

Jim

Lefty
09-20-2002, 08:49 PM
Jim, that's great, glad to read it.

JustRalph
09-20-2002, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by TenZin
Can I run a DOS program on XP? Please help me.

Pretty Good Article, brief but accurate. I have tried it....it works.

From PC Mag at this link http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,428282,00.asp

Old Apps Find A New Home On Windows XP
Running DOS Programs

DOS programs are the oldest, and since Microsoft dropped the DOS Compatibility Mode from Windows XP, you might think it dropped support for DOS programs altogether. In fact, new options in Windows XP may make running DOS programs easier.

Right-click on a DOS program, and select Properties from the pop-up menu. Most of the tabs in the Properties dialog are familiar, but the Compatibility tab is new. This tab lets you set the program to run in 256-color mode and at a resolution of 640-by-480. You can also disable the default visual themes that Windows XP imposes on programs.

There's also a less obvious and more powerful tool. With DOS, you could fine-tune the environment for your programs by modifying the Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files. In some cases, you'd reboot the system with a special configuration just for one program and then go back to the normal setup to run other programs. Windows XP lets you define a customized Config.sys and Autoexec.bat for each of your DOS programs.

Here's how it's done. First, copy the C:\Windows\System32\Config.nt and C:\Windows\ System32\Autoexec.nt files to the directory of your DOS program, then edit them to reflect the configuration you want. Save them with a new name. Bring up the Properties dialog for the DOS program, move to the Program tab, and click on the Advanced button.

Enter the Config and Autoexec filenames you created for the program and Windows XP will run the program in its own customized environment. This dialog also lets you try to slow down DOS programs that performed actions based on the clock speed of your processor. Programs that ran well on a 50-MHz system can be unusable on an 850-MHz system without this emulation.