PDA

View Full Version : White House $1.5 trillion infrastructure plan

Clocker
02-12-2018, 11:18 AM
“My Administration’s plan addresses more than traditional infrastructure -- like roads, bridges, and airports -- but addresses other needs like drinking and wastewater systems, waterways, water resources, energy, rural infrastructure, public lands, veterans’ hospitals, and Brownfield and Superfund sites,” President Trump said in the White House document.

“The reforms set forth in my plan will strengthen the economy, make our country more competitive, reduce the costs of goods and services for American families, and enable Americans to build their lives on top of the best infrastructure in the world.”

The federal government would contribute $200 billion to the package, a figure Democrats have already denounced as too small a number.
The plan is just out, but supposedly will be funded by $200 billion in federal money, the rest to come from state and local government and private sources.

Want to buy a bridge?

http://thehill.com/policy/transportation/infrastructure/373408-white-house-releases-55-page-infrastructure-proposal

Or maybe not.

Republicans are weighing whether to raise the federal gas tax. It's an idea they are prone to hate, but they may need it to pay for President Trump’s infrastructure investment plan.

Supporters of the idea note that the tax hasn’t been raised since 1993 and have plenty of evidence that resistance to a hike is wearing down.

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce recently called for the Trump administration and Congress to raise the gas tax by 25 cents per gallon to help pay for an infrastructure package, projecting it would generate more than $375 billion over a decade. For 25 years, the federal tax on gasoline has held steady at 18.4 cents per gallon and 24.4 cents per gallon for diesel. It is not indexed to inflation.

The Republican chairman of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, Rep. Bill Shuster of Pennsylvania, prodded colleagues at the recent GOP retreat to consider setting aside years of opposition and raise the tax.
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/republicans-consider-the-unthinkable-a-gas-tax-increase-to-pay-for-infrastructure/article/2648637

PaceAdvantage
02-12-2018, 11:22 AM
With one hand they giveth, and with the other, they taketh away.

elysiantraveller
02-12-2018, 11:49 AM
The grand budget compromise is going to make an infrastructure deal very difficult. I think the outlay year one in this is $17-21 billion.

Its something. Its not grand but its something.

RunForTheRoses
02-12-2018, 12:14 PM
But just think of the additional tax revenues generated...it will pay for itself...

horses4courses
02-12-2018, 01:06 PM
Getting in early ahead of the chimp.

Round up everyone on unemployment and give 'em a pick ax and a shovel. Any of 'em that don't like it - chain 'em up. Bahhhh!!!

The future becomes so clear sometimes.

davew
02-12-2018, 01:19 PM
I don't like the 'private sources' part, it might mean stopping every 5 minutes to put more money into the toll booth - or getting a bill in the mail every month for the mileage on their roads...

elysiantraveller
02-12-2018, 02:45 PM
I don't like the 'private sources' part, it might mean stopping every 5 minutes to put more money into the toll booth - or getting a bill in the mail every month for the mileage on their roads...

It should probably be more front-loaded than it is. Also I would rather see it done simply as block grants to states and let them decide where their needs.

But its whatever... its really not that big of a plan.

Tom
02-12-2018, 03:51 PM
With one hand they giveth, and with the other, they taketh away.

They have 3 hands????
Must be, because there is one in there with a knife going into our backs.

Raise gas tax - dems 100% sure to take back both houses.
And he WH .

Flaming idiots.

Clocker
02-14-2018, 05:55 PM
Raise gas tax - dems 100% sure to take back both houses.
And he WH .

Flaming idiots.

Here's a Valentine's Day kiss from the White House:

President Trump endorsed a 25-cent gas tax hike to pay for infrastructure at a White House meeting this morning with senior administration officials and members of Congress from both parties, according to two sources with direct knowledge. Trump also said he was open to other ways to pay for infrastructure, according to a source with direct knowledge. https://www.axios.com/trump-endorsed-25-cent-gas-tax-hike-1518638785-7554ca1b-6111-4276-b6e5-b42929e0b453.html

Tom
02-14-2018, 05:58 PM
Screw Trump.

Welcome home DNC - all three houses are yours for the taking, due to a moron move by the Mayor of Swamptown.