PDA

View Full Version : The Cat Problem

jay68802
02-09-2018, 11:16 AM
I moved to a small town in rural Nebraska about 6 years ago. The move was for many reasons, but the main reason was I like the small town living. When I first moved into my small house, I noticed that the gentleman that lived behind me had two feral cats living in his garage. At first this was not a problem, it was probably a good thing. The cats served a purpose, they kept the local mouse and snake population in check.

This started to become a problem about 2 years ago, when one of my other neighbors started leaving cat food outside his garage to feed them. The population of feral cats started to increase. 6 months ago I counted 13 different cats now living in the garage. I spoke with both neighbors about this, and came out of those conversations with out solving the problem. I then spoke to a local law officer and found out that my options were rather limited. You are not allowed to "control" the cats yourself. My option was to contact the Humane Society and contract with them to remove the cats. The reason behind this was that if someones pet cat was trapped and removed, I would be liable for any damages. I contacted the nearest Humane Society and found out that they would help, but at $25.00 a day, and no set time line, the cost of doing this was prohibitive to say the least.

So I purchased a dog, with the idea of training this dog to keep the cats away. This was a great idea, or so I thought. I tried to train the dog to chase the cats away, but the dog thought that the cats were playmates, and soon was friends with the cats. As a matter of fact, the only thing that my dog thinks that should be removed from my house is bacon. Time for plan B.

I spoke with my father on this subject and after a couple of conversations, came up with a plan. I made two L shaped bars, and mounted one end to the chimney, and the other end to my roof. Then walked around the neighborhood until I found a dead bird. I took the wings off of the bird and hung them from the bars on the roof. What this did was attracted birds of prey to my roof. I have had two different hawks and a owl using this perch for the last 3 months. I also have a neighbor who is not that happy with me. The population of feral cats is shrinking. When i arrived home two days ago he had called the local police department and filed a complaint. I spoke with the officer and he told me there was nothing he could do, but I should try to do one thing. I was told to try to remove any cat remains from my roof so my neighbor could not see them.

Inner Dirt
02-09-2018, 11:33 AM
I never understood cat haters, how are they harming you? I live in an area in the woods of Central Virginia where there are about 10 homes per square mile, do the math over 60 acres for each house. A little old lady living at the entrance to the paved street that leads to the dirt roads we all live on feeds feral cats, maybe a dozen of them. I slow down driving past as there is often a cat darting across the street in front of her house.

My closest neighbor the only other house on my dirt road who is 1/4 mile past me and almost a mile from the "cat lady" complains often about all those cats. He is further away from her then me and I might see a cat other than my own close to my house once a week. I just believe some men hate cats and want them to become extinct.

Lemon Drop Husker
02-09-2018, 11:48 AM
I would have purchased a laser pointer that rotated the light on your neighbors front lawn/porch. :coffee:

_______
02-09-2018, 11:53 AM
It’s too bad there isn’t a catch and release program in your area. Where I live, you can have the animals trapped, taken to a vet where they are are neutered/spayed, then returned to where they were caught to live out their lives. The vet who cared for my cat before he passed started the program and donates his efforts.

It does reduces the population over time.

As an aside, the barn cats I’ve been familiar with weren’t feral. They lived around people, horses, and goats. They got acclimated to all three.

woodtoo
02-09-2018, 11:57 AM
You could import some rabbits into the area they "thump cats" but then you may have a rabbit problem. Leave it to the birds. :D

jay68802
02-09-2018, 12:06 PM
This has nothing to do with "hating cats". If there were only two of three cats, they were and are welcome. This is about controlling a problem that will become larger in the future. Feral cats are a part of life in every community. They serve a purpose, but can become a problem. 13 cats in one spot will become 30 here very soon. Feeding the cats causes more problems. It attracts more cats and defeats their purpose. You are also welcome to come here any time for a BBQ. We can sit in the back yard, converse about horse racing, and enjoy the stink of cat urine. That is not a joke, I can smell the garage from my back door. These are after all wild animals, they are not pets.

Greyfox
02-09-2018, 12:06 PM
Cats are once again ruling the world.

Recommended reading: "The Lion In The Living Room"

http://www.simonandschuster.ca/books/The-Lion-in-the-Living-Room/Abigail-Tucker/9781476738246

Marshall Bennett
02-09-2018, 12:08 PM
I have a neighbor down the road about 1/2 mile that has like 30 cats. He takes new additions to the vet to get fixed. There is however a few that or sort of wild and he can't catch. So the population grows needless to say, He's an elderly man living alone. The 2 homes on either side of him won't sell because its apparent the cats destroy property. A picnic table for example will be scratched up and look like shit in a matter of weeks. They hop the fences and urinate, crap, then dig the yards up. He's been approached by neighbors. His only excuse is he hasn't the heart to haul them off. The county says there's little they can do since they're cats, and even stray cats are not a concern of theirs. I've advised the homeowners to take pictures, get a witness or two, and go to small claims court and sue for damages.
He's not a particularly pleasant old man anyway. Were it me I wouldn't hesitate. Perhaps $10K would motivate him more to remedy the situation.

elysiantraveller
02-09-2018, 12:14 PM
Shoot them...?

They are horrible for the environment.

FantasticDan
02-09-2018, 12:17 PM
These are after all wild animals, they are not pets.
In my experience, it's common for folks who don't know any better to call stray cats "feral", even tho there's a big difference. I've fed and adopted quite a few stray cats in my time, and none of them were "feral". I'm not saying they don't exist, but rare is the cat that doesn't eventually (or quickly) respond to some kindness and TLC.

Lemon Drop Husker
02-09-2018, 12:22 PM
Shoot them...?

Stupified as to how this wasn't the actual response. :ThmbUp:

Lemon Drop Husker
02-09-2018, 12:24 PM
In my experience, it's common for folks who don't know any better to call stray cats "feral", even tho there's a big difference. I've fed and adopted quite a few stray cats in my time, and none of them were "feral". I'm not saying they don't exist, but rare is the cat that doesn't eventually (or quickly) respond to some kindness and TLC.

Picture of FD's kitchen.

http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/1/590x/secondary/cat-lady-442022.jpg

Inner Dirt
02-09-2018, 12:30 PM

:lol::lol::lol: I actually am on the side of Fantastic Dan, WTF? Maybe I haven't gotten enough sleep lately.

jay68802
02-09-2018, 12:33 PM

Have no problem with this, but do it the right way. Just putting out food is not helping, only making the problem worse.

Inner Dirt
02-09-2018, 12:33 PM
Picture of FD's kitchen.

http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/1/590x/secondary/cat-lady-442022.jpg

It looks pretty clean and those cats look healthy and well taken care of.

jay68802
02-09-2018, 12:38 PM
Shoot them...?

Considered it, but after conversation's with the local law enforcement decided to go in another direction. And in my experience, officers responding to a "shots fired" complaint are not in a good mood.

boxcar
02-09-2018, 12:44 PM
I never understood cat haters, how are they harming you? I live in an area in the woods of Central Virginia where there are about 10 homes per square mile, do the math over 60 acres for each house. A little old lady living at the entrance to the paved street that leads to the dirt roads we all live on feeds feral cats, maybe a dozen of them. I slow down driving past as there is often a cat darting across the street in front of her house.

My closest neighbor the only other house on my dirt road who is 1/4 mile past me and almost a mile from the "cat lady" complains often about all those cats. He is further away from her then me and I might see a cat other than my own close to my house once a week. I just believe some men hate cats and want them to become extinct.

I didn't get that from his posts. His problem is a HUMAN one -- with his totally irresponsible and inconsiderate neighbor who, evidently, is oblivious to what a nuisance uncontrolled breeding of cats can wreak on entire neighborhood.

By the way, I have been a cat lover all my life. Have seven right now. :coffee:

FantasticDan
02-09-2018, 12:45 PM
Have no problem with this, but do it the right way. Just putting out food is not helping, only making the problem worse.I agree, if you care enough to feed them, care enough to also get them fixed, it's in the best interests of all involved. And most SPCAs and the like have several low-cost clinics through the year.

Tom
02-09-2018, 12:47 PM
Do you have Habitat for CAts in your area? the catch them, neuter them and return them. It really make the cat's lived happier.
I had them pick up my strays a few years ago - they got my 3 at the time, and one other who used to just walk by the house every day. When they brought them all back, that poor little guy would still walk by every day, but he would cross the street one house before mine and come back over one house past! Poor guy!!! Must have thought I was some kind of monster. :eek:

I have 4 right now - all homeless at one time. No problems with any of them.

Never leave food out. It attracts other unwanted animals that you don't want around.

Lemon Drop Husker
02-09-2018, 12:57 PM
Do you have Habitat for CAts in your area? the catch them, neuter them and return them. It really make the cat's lived happier.
I had them pick up my strays a few years ago - they got my 3 at the time, and one other who used to just walk by the house every day. When they brought them all back, that poor little guy would still walk by every day, but he would cross the street one house before mine and come back over one house past! Poor guy!!! Must have thought I was some kind of monster. :eek:

I have 4 right now - all homeless at one time. No problems with any of them.

Never leave food out. It attracts other unwanted animals that you don't want around.

It is a ****ing cat.

A cat.

Would you take a homeless person into your home? They would cost less than a pet. They can also talk and actually communicate. And at the end of the day you can release them into the wild with hopes of actually bettering society.

JustRalph
02-09-2018, 12:59 PM
It’s too bad there isn’t a catch and release program in your area. Where I live, you can have the animals trapped, taken to a vet where they are are neutered/spayed, then returned to where they were caught to live out their lives. The vet who cared for my cat before he passed started the program and donates his efforts.

It does reduces the population over time.

As an aside, the barn cats I’ve been familiar with weren’t feral. They lived around people, horses, and goats. They got acclimated to all three.

These programs work great. Maybe you could get together with the neighbors and get this started. In Dallas they do this.

I’ve posted about my ferals I adopted in Dallas. They are doing great. But they are indoor cats now and have been over 3 years now. Total of 3 now....here’s 2

JustRalph
02-09-2018, 01:02 PM
It is a ****ing cat.

A cat.

Would you take a homeless person into your home? They would cost less than a pet. They can also talk and actually communicate. And at the end of the day you can release them into the wild with hopes of actually bettering society.

I prefer the cats over humans any day.......

Ocala Mike
02-09-2018, 01:07 PM
I'm with Ralph. Almost every cat I ever owned (and I'm a crazy cat man) was a rescued stray or feral. They make the best companions, and I never see a mouse or rat around the barn.

Lemon Drop Husker
02-09-2018, 01:16 PM
I prefer the cats over humans any day.......

I'm very sorry to hear that.

xtb
02-09-2018, 01:19 PM
I had a neighbor whose cat would use my bushes as its outdoor toilet. The stench was so bad I could never open the windows on that side of the house, ever. When I spoke to my neighbor about it she became very pissy saying she couldn't control her cat and there was nothing she could (read that 'would') do about it.

I left my car in my cousin's driveway with a window part way down one time. When pulling in the driveway after going out to eat, a cat was coming out of my car. I knew it was going to be bad. The cat had pissed on the carpet in the back, worst smell you can imagine. I tried everything to clean it but ended up having to cut out that section of carpet.

In more than one residence where I have lived, I've found dismembered birds in my yard from neighborhood cats. I've never understood why leash laws exist for dogs but never for cats.

jay68802
02-09-2018, 01:32 PM
I'm with Ralph. Almost every cat I ever owned (and I'm a crazy cat man) was a rescued stray or feral. They make the best companions, and I never see a mouse or rat around the barn.

This was looked into. The nearest agency was 25 miles away in a different county. And that is why they wanted to charge me for this. I can't blame them for this but if it would have been a set fee or I could see where my neighbor would quit feeding the cats, I would have gone in this direction. And then probably ended up trying to get my neighbors to "share" the cost.

boxcar
02-09-2018, 01:34 PM

Good for you! :ThmbUp: We, too, have rescued all our cats. In most cases, we have very little or no idea of their history at all.

JustRalph
02-09-2018, 01:34 PM
I'm very sorry to hear that.

Don’t......feel .....sorry.......:lol:

boxcar
02-09-2018, 01:55 PM
These programs work great. Maybe you could get together with the neighbors and get this started. In Dallas they do this.

I’ve posted about my ferals I adopted in Dallas. They are doing great. But they are indoor cats now and have been over 3 years now. Total of 3 now....here’s 2

Very handsome looking puddies. The one on the left has a racoon kind of face. Very beautiful. :ThmbUp:

PaceAdvantage
02-09-2018, 02:05 PM
It is a ****ing cat.

A cat.

Would you take a homeless person into your home? They would cost less than a pet. They can also talk and actually communicate. And at the end of the day you can release them into the wild with hopes of actually bettering society.Yeah, it's a ****ing cat. Got a ****ing problem with that? I thought not.

PaceAdvantage
02-09-2018, 02:06 PM
I prefer the cats over humans any day.......Same.

FantasticDan
02-09-2018, 02:09 PM
It is a ****ing cat. A cat. Would you take a homeless person into your home? They would cost less than a pet. They can also talk and actually communicate.

:ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

Call me an old softy, but I happen to think that pets enrich our lives. And I've never had one that didn't communicate just fine, I assure you.. :p

boxcar
02-09-2018, 02:19 PM

Call me an old softy, but I happen to think that pets enrich our lives. And I've never had one that didn't communicate just fine, I assure you.. :p

Exactly. God put most of animals on this earth for our enjoyment.

We finally agree on something -- well, maybe except for the God part. :coffee:

Lemon Drop Husker
02-09-2018, 02:34 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C2-Mfc1s0g

barahona44
02-09-2018, 03:37 PM
It's always a welcome sight to go to the airport and have confidence your flight will be safe when you see the bomb sniffing cats in action.

Or knowing the flow of dangerous drugs is partially impeded by the drug sniffing cats used by law enforcement.

Hunters can always count on the assistance of their trained hunting cats.

And the delight of a child as they play "fetch" with their cats.Always amazed at the cats that run and grab the Frisbee with their mouths.

Anything more relaxing then a walk down a country lane, your cat faithfully ambling by your side ? Or sitting by a crackling fire, your cat at your feet, nestling with you?

And it warms me when I see a blind individual able to participate with more independence in life, thanks to the assistance of their seeing-eye cat.

Tom
02-09-2018, 03:37 PM
Each one on mine has a very distinct personality.
I can pretty much tell what they want.

Right now, all 4 are lying on the carpet, watching me play the races.

The youngest, one, the biggest one, is thinking, "Can we eat this guy or what?":eek:

elysiantraveller
02-09-2018, 03:51 PM
It's always a welcome sight to go to the airport and have confidence your flight will be safe when you see the bomb sniffing cats in action.

Or knowing the flow of dangerous drugs is partially impeded by the drug sniffing cats used by law enforcement.

Hunters can always count on the assistance of their trained hunting cats.

And the delight of a child as they play "fetch" with their cats.Always amazed at the cats that run and grab the Frisbee with their mouths.

Anything more relaxing then a walk down a country lane, your cat faithfully ambling by your side ? Or sitting by a crackling fire, your cat at your feet, nestling with you?

And it warms me when I see a blind individual able to participate with more independence in life, thanks to the assistance of their seeing-eye cat.

:lol::lol:

The fact this board is overrun with cat lovers does a lot to explain it...

A real pet...

Clocker
02-09-2018, 03:58 PM
A real pet...

Together with another animal put on this earth for our enjoyment. Preferably with a fine wine.

PaceAdvantage
02-09-2018, 04:02 PM
All you cat bashers are nothing but assholes.

It would be a dog-owner that's dumb enough to draw comparisons between the two animals. It's a total apples to oranges comparison...hope that's not too intellectual for ya'll to understand.

Tom
02-09-2018, 04:04 PM
The fact this board is overrun with cat lovers does a lot to explain it...

Just like this post does.....:rolleyes:

elysiantraveller
02-09-2018, 04:05 PM

It would be a dog-owner that's dumb enough to draw comparisons between the two animals. It's a total apples to oranges comparison...hope that's not too intellectual for ya'll to understand.

All in good fun. I've had cats. They are the real assholes. ;)

PaceAdvantage
02-09-2018, 04:09 PM
All in good fun. I've had cats. They are the real assholes. ;)OK, guess I was out of line...sorry

I've had three cats and loved them all dearly...even the one who was an asshole.

FantasticDan
02-09-2018, 04:19 PM
All in good fun. I've had cats. They are the real assholes. ;)
:D Watch this viral video and tell me which species is "superior" :lol: ;)

Also wanted to note that I love dogs too, there's nothing better than a good dog and cat household.. :ThmbUp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7znI_Kpzbs

barahona44
02-09-2018, 04:38 PM

Looks like I'm going to have to nix that "Benji Trilogy" DVD, I was going to get for your birthday.Luckily, "The Best of Felix the Cat" is still available. ;)

PaceAdvantage
02-09-2018, 04:50 PM
I like dogs...don't get me wrong...:lol:

Some of their owners, on the other hand...:pound:

elysiantraveller
02-09-2018, 05:01 PM
I like dogs...don't get me wrong...:lol:

Some of their owners, on the other hand...:pound:

#catsarepeopletoo

;)

Lemon Drop Husker
02-09-2018, 05:17 PM
Never had a pet in my life.

I like dogs when I visit others, but cats are just awful.

Not sure I understand why I would want something in my home that will shit, pee, barf, and stink up the place other than myself.

davew
02-09-2018, 05:33 PM
Maybe you could try something like this (but not sure what it would do to your dog)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ultrasonic-Animal-Chaser-Repeller-Repellent-Cat-Dog-Fox-Deterrent-Eco-friendly-Solar-Powered-Outdoor-Garden/32807283624.html?src=bing&albch=shopping&acnt=42005546&isdl=y&aff_short_key=UneMJZVf&albcp=133368713&albag=5555450757&slnk=&trgt=pla-4584894769298546&plac=&crea=13195869849&netw=o&device=c&mtctp=e&utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=PA-Bing-Home%20%26%20Garden-US&utm_content=All&utm_term=hypersonic%20cat%20repellant&msclkid=186f8157878e1af1b896db29a77fa945

PaceAdvantage
02-09-2018, 05:36 PM
Never had a pet in my life.

I like dogs when I visit others, but cats are just awful.

Not sure I understand why I would want something in my home that will shit, pee, barf, and stink up the place other than myself.I have two cats and you would never know it in my house based on any odor...because there are no odors.

Dogs are apt to STINK way worse than any cat I've ever had. I've been around a lot of dogs...

Cats are pristinely clean...and if you have an automatic litter box, you don't even need to shove it in the basement to avoid any odors...the Litter Robot, while expensive, is fantastic...like I said, you would never know I had a cat, let alone two, based on stink.

JustRalph
02-09-2018, 06:04 PM
I have a dog too.......

You can have both.......

:bang:

PaceAdvantage
02-09-2018, 06:05 PM
I'm done with this thread before I get myself into more trouble...besides, I get the feeling I'm being trolled anyway...:lol:

johnhannibalsmith
02-09-2018, 06:07 PM
I'm done with this thread before I get myself into more trouble...besides, I get the feeling I'm being trolled anyway...:lol:

I don't think so. It seems to make sense if you ask me.

Lemon Drop Husker
02-09-2018, 07:31 PM

You have 2 cats.

What more does anybody need to "troll"?:pound:

https://img.thedailybeast.com/image/upload/d_placeholder_euli9k/dpr_2.0/c_limit,w_585/fl_lossy,q_auto/v1/articles/2013/01/04/kansas-s-new-cat-law-and-the-craziest-crazy-cat-lady-stories/cat-ladies-fallon-tease_s0gkcp

PaceAdvantage
02-09-2018, 07:36 PM
At least I know enough to use a resize button...

Lemon Drop Husker
02-09-2018, 07:46 PM
At least I know enough to use a resize button...

I tried, but my cat paws got in the way. :)

PaceAdvantage
02-09-2018, 07:51 PM
Quit trollin' me bro

Lemon Drop Husker
02-09-2018, 07:58 PM
Quit trollin' me bro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTunhRVyREU

Tom
02-09-2018, 08:26 PM
The secret to getting along with cats is.......

........be smarter than the cat!

RunForTheRoses
02-09-2018, 08:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxMl1SDJ7po

Track Collector
02-10-2018, 03:29 AM
I have two cats and you would never know it in my house based on any odor...because there are no odors.

Dogs are apt to STINK way worse than any cat I've ever had. I've been around a lot of dogs...

Cats are pristinely clean...and if you have an automatic litter box, you don't even need to shove it in the basement to avoid any odors...the Litter Robot, while expensive, is fantastic...like I said, you would never know I had a cat, let alone two, based on stink.

My wife and I have 4 (indoor) cats. We do not have Litter Robot, but here are a few more factors which helps our home to be relatively odor free:

--- We have a continuously running ceiling exhaust fan in the laundry room where the five litter boxes are.
--- We use a premium brand of kitty litter. (Scoop Away Multi-Cat Super Clump Low Dust ).
--- We only feed our cats high-quality (dry) cat food. (Hills Science Diet products).

The Hills Science Diet is significantly more expensive than typical cat food products, but our feline family is much more healthy because of it. And, because it does not include some of the ingredients found in much cheaper brands of cat found found in supermarkets, I am of the opinion that the resultant poop has a significantly less offensive odor to it.

Tom
02-10-2018, 09:27 AM
Ah ha!
Maybe I better cut out the pickled herring.

Inner Dirt
02-10-2018, 09:41 AM

The cat I have now used to kill mice that managed to get in the house, now she just plays with them. At least she flushes them out and I scoop them up and toss them outside. Pretty lame cat needing help from a human to catch mice.

PaceAdvantage
02-10-2018, 12:00 PM
The cat I have now used to kill mice that managed to get in the house, now she just plays with them. At least she flushes them out and I scoop them up and toss them outside. Pretty lame cat needing help from a human to catch mice.My cats are the same way...the two mice I've seen the last few years...they were "playing" with it...not killing or trying to eat it...

Them I just pick them up with a hand towel and take them outside and drop them off a few blocks away...lol

boxcar
02-10-2018, 12:20 PM
The cat I have now used to kill mice that managed to get in the house, now she just plays with them. At least she flushes them out and I scoop them up and toss them outside. Pretty lame cat needing help from a human to catch mice.

Simple solution for your "lame cat": Cut back on her food. :coffee:

Clocker
02-11-2018, 01:49 AM
Cross posted from the Winter Olympics thread;

https://i.imgur.com/gGkMUx9.gif

jay68802
02-11-2018, 12:09 PM
After reading some responses here I had a memory surface. A while back, one of the local golf courses had a badger problem. The manager had bought some large live traps to catch the badger. I called him and he let me use those traps. I also called my uncle who lives on the family farm and asked if he or any one he knew needed a cat. Bottom line is that this morning three cats were moved to local farms, and I can move 4 or 5 more if needed. The neighbor saw me doing this and came unglued, until he realized that the cats were going to homes that will care for them. Now all that is left is to convince him to stop putting out food. The perches on the roof are going to stay, I sort of like the Great Horned Owl who has became a nightly visitor.

Fager Fan
02-11-2018, 02:43 PM
After reading some responses here I had a memory surface. A while back, one of the local golf courses had a badger problem. The manager had bought some large live traps to catch the badger. I called him and he let me use those traps. I also called my uncle who lives on the family farm and asked if he or any one he knew needed a cat. Bottom line is that this morning three cats were moved to local farms, and I can move 4 or 5 more if needed. The neighbor saw me doing this and came unglued, until he realized that the cats were going to homes that will care for them. Now all that is left is to convince him to stop putting out food. The perches on the roof are going to stay, I sort of like the Great Horned Owl who has became a nightly visitor.

That's a very good solution. Applause.

I feed cats outside which means I also have some raccoons and possums who visit. I also put out some deer feed sometimes. I enjoy watching them. They don't hurt anything (and I live on acreage).

elysiantraveller
02-11-2018, 06:20 PM
That's a very good solution. Applause.

I feed cats outside which means I also have some raccoons and possums who visit. I also put out some deer feed sometimes. I enjoy watching them. They don't hurt anything (and I live on acreage).

Cats are brutal on bird and small mammal populations.

Marshall Bennett
02-12-2018, 07:36 AM
I think their primary purpose in being on earth is to kill and harass squirrels.

JustRalph
02-12-2018, 11:26 AM

Small mammals? Like what?

elysiantraveller
02-12-2018, 12:33 PM
Small mammals? Like what?

Squirrels, Rabbits, Possums, Mice, Moles.

All kinds of stuff.

Cats are insanely effective predators. Domesticated (House) cats are the worst because they aren't predators just killers.

My only real thing with cats is if you have them just keep them inside. That would apply to about 95% of cat owners. People with barns and livestock are a little different but overall they are bad for the environment.

Fager Fan
02-12-2018, 12:47 PM
Squirrels, Rabbits, Possums, Mice, Moles.

All kinds of stuff.

Cats are insanely effective predators. Domesticated (House) cats are the worst because they aren't predators just killers.

My only real thing with cats is if you have them just keep them inside. That would apply to about 95% of cat owners. People with barns and livestock are a little different but overall they are bad for the environment.

I'm pretty sure it's a rare possum that gets killed by a cat. My cats definitely don't mess with the possums are raccoons, they all seem to choose to live peacefully out there together The possums are definitely two or three times the weight of the cats.

Ocala Mike
02-12-2018, 12:54 PM
I've lost several barn cats to coyotes. Payback's a bitch in the jungle down here.

FantasticDan
02-12-2018, 01:01 PM
I'm pretty sure it's a rare possum that gets killed by a cat. My cats definitely don't mess with the possums are raccoons, they all seem to choose to live peacefully out there together The possums are definitely two or three times the weight of the cats.I agree, I've always been amused by how possums, raccoons, and cats all seem to have a strong mutual respect system in place. Sometimes they've even been downright friendly! :ThmbUp:

elysiantraveller
02-12-2018, 01:03 PM
I've lost several barn cats to coyotes. Payback's a bitch in the jungle down here.

Coyotes should be killed, by any means available, whenever encountered.

FantasticDan
02-12-2018, 01:31 PM
We live on the outskirts of a town and I used to see rabbits all the time, especially in the evening. Then, about 10 yrs ago, I started seeing less of them. Now I don't think I've even seen one in five years. It's so strange.

Chalking it up to foxes. We see quite a lot of them. We only hear the coyotes..

Fager Fan
02-12-2018, 02:16 PM
I agree, I've always been amused by how possums, raccoons, and cats all seem to have a strong mutual respect system in place. Sometimes they've even been downright friendly! :ThmbUp:

I usually see the raccoons and possums separately, but one night I looked out and I had a raccoon eating out of one bowl, a possum eating out of the other, and the cat laying about 3 feet from them snoozing.

Fager Fan
02-12-2018, 02:20 PM
Cute story. Raccoons if they can will wash thoroughly what they eat before eating. For any who don't know, they eat with their paws. A friend had a pet raccoon when he was a kid, and they got a kick out of giving the raccoon sugar cubes, watching him vigorously wash the cube, then be puzzled when he looked at his paws and nothing was there.

Marshall Bennett
02-12-2018, 04:10 PM
Cats seldom win out with any animal that's not protecting itself. Mice perhaps run the greatest risk. Tree squirrels here torture my neighbor's cat by teasing it, coming within 6 ft. of her, then dashing up a tree. They know all well the cat will only climb perhaps 8 or 10 ft. and retreat. I've never heard of a cat attacking a possum or raccoon. That likely would be a mistake. Small dogs or other cats wondering on their territory may be at risk. Cats are generally left to roam freely by law because they're virtually little risk to anyone. They're messy, but so are many humans.

Ocala Mike
02-12-2018, 04:21 PM
Coyotes should be killed, by any means available, whenever encountered.

Yes, and the almost universally armed populace around me does a pretty good job with this, but not 100%. A neighbor down the road from me killed one and hung its carcass up on his fence for a few days - supposedly, this runs the rest of them off.

elysiantraveller
02-12-2018, 04:42 PM
Yes, and the almost universally armed populace around me does a pretty good job with this, but not 100%. A neighbor down the road from me killed one and hung its carcass up on his fence for a few days - supposedly, this runs the rest of them off.

Trapping is far more effective but don't know how it works where you're at.

jay68802
02-12-2018, 05:08 PM
My parents live about 30 miles from me. One of the things I do 2 to 3 times a week, is stop by and see if they need anything done. Small things like changing light bulbs, running the trimmer, things that need done but when you use walkers to get around, are difficult. I arrived one afternoon and found my fathers truck parked in the driveway, and the garage door open. This was unusual, but not alarming. When approaching the garage, I could here my father cussing and saying "Get Out". I looked in the garage and my father was standing by the open side door, looking to his right by the freezer. He the moved slowly toward the freezer saying "Get Out". Then stopped by the freezer and was looking toward the open side door. I stepped farther into the garage so I could see what was happening. There was a possum in the garage, and when my father would move one way, the possum would calmly move in the other direction. When this happened again, I couldn't help but to start laughing. My father looked at me and said "Get this damn thing out of my garage!" and went inside. So, just for the fun of it, for his birthday I bought one of those "grabbers" used by people who can't bend over, and had a little engraved plaque mounted on it that said "Possum Catcher". He still has the grabber and uses it, but say's he still has not caught a possum with it.

Tape Reader
02-12-2018, 05:56 PM
The secret to getting along with cats is.......

........be smarter than the cat!

People use animals.

Cats use people.

elysiantraveller
02-12-2018, 06:16 PM
People use animals.

Cats use people.

Cats aren't people's pets.

People are Cat's pets.

Clocker
02-12-2018, 07:14 PM
Cats aren't people's pets.

People are Cat's pets.

Only those people who aren't smarter than cats. :p

Ocala Mike
02-13-2018, 08:09 PM
This says it all about cats:

"If cats could text you back,......they wouldn't!"

RunForTheRoses
03-10-2018, 10:12 AM
http://triblive.com/local/allegheny/13400955-74/cat-alerts-mckeesport-family-to-fire

HalvOnHorseracing
03-10-2018, 06:21 PM

Nothing against cats. Just though the statistic was interesting.

From USA Today:

Cats that live in the wild or indoor pets allowed to roam outdoors kill from 1.4 billion to as many as 3.7 billion birds in the continental U.S. each year, says a new study that escalates a decades-old debate over the feline threat to native animals.

I expect a lot of the birds killed by cats are highly common, like sparrows.

Tom
03-10-2018, 06:51 PM
So what we do with 1.4 billion more birds????

Ocala Mike
03-10-2018, 07:20 PM
I just rescued another stray who showed up at my farm yesterday. I'm calling him Alex because he has a weird meow like Alexa's laugh on Amazon.

barahona44
03-10-2018, 07:27 PM
So what we do with 1.4 billion more birds????

This lady wouldn't have a problem with the cats killing the birds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL6mTMShVyk

thaskalos
03-10-2018, 07:51 PM
I enjoy feeding any stray cat that shows up at my doorstep. And...God help the neighbor who ventures into my yard to bother these cats come feeding time.

Tom
03-10-2018, 08:10 PM
I enjoy feeding any stray cat that shows up at my doorstep. And...God help the neighbor who ventures into my yard to bother these cats come feeding time.

:ThmbUp::ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

jocko699
03-21-2018, 04:04 PM
Thought you cat lovers might like this story.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2018/03/21/cat-reunited-14-years-hurricane-jeanne-florida/

JustRalph
03-21-2018, 08:07 PM
Cats living on the streets don’t live to 18. He had a benefactor somewhere along the way........

FantasticDan
04-12-2018, 12:58 PM
:lol: :ThmbUp:

https://twitter.com/dodo/status/984161744883892224