PDA

View Full Version : The Meadowlands "Survivor": Sat., Feb. 3

Teach
02-03-2018, 08:50 AM
Race One:

6 ROSSINI. You don’t have to be “The Barber of Seville” to notice that this Classic Photo-bred gelding is getting post-position relief. He now drops back to a level within which he can compete. He’ll likely need to pick up some "live cover" in an outside flow and hope that he gets “towed along” to the top of the stretch. If all goes well, “The Wolverine,” Eric Carlson, can then mount a winning brush. Lucas Wallin trains.

5 A JERSEY CONTRACT. Wasn’t Le Frelon Vert a.k.a., “The Green Hornet,” Yannick Gingras, sensationnel last night? Five winners, four of those for trainer Ron Burke. Can “The Sorel Speedster” keep it going? I believe his charge, A Jersey Contract, a Lucky Chucky-bred trotter, is “a player”. Yet, he’ll most definitely need to work out the trip. This 5-year old held his own in this company last time. However, I don’t believe you’ll be getting last week’s 15-1 odds. Maureen Salino trains. Others: 3 LAUDERDALE, 2 QUEEN ADJALA

Race Two:

2 SPRINTER N. This “Kiwi” invader (I’m partial to New Zealand imports) ran a solid race against slightly better in his last. This Mach Three-bred’s “even” running style puts this gelding in a perfect position to “stalk and pounce”. He should be forwardly placed in this field. “The Orange Crush,” Andy Ray Miller, reprises the driving assignment for “The Aussie,” -- “G’day Maaaaate” -- trainer Ross Croghan. By the way, we Bostonians have one thing in common with The Aussies, we don’t pronounce our letter “R”s at the end of words. Now, let’s see if Sprinter N ends in the: “winna’s circle”. Others: 1 K-LEES SHAKENBAKE, 4 BRIGADOON, 3 SIR MACHALOT

Race Three:

1 STORMONT WIZARD. How do you spell relief? P-O-S-T O-N-E. You can add to the mix the chauffeuring services of “Monsieur Quebecois,” Yannick Gingras (“When you’re hot, you’re hot…”). This Kadabra-bred just couldn’t fashion a trip from his outside post against slightly better in his last. Now. Voila! If Monsieur Gingras decides to leave, “he won’t have to climb a wall.” If all goes well, this Ron Burke trainee will grace the winner’s circle. Others: 5 DI OGGI, 6 IT REALLY MATTERS, 4 ASHES CASH.

Race Four:

4 TRACK MASTER D is my longshot try on this evening’s “Big M” card. This Bettor’s Delight-bred horse acquitted himself quite well in his last against much better. I believe his running style should put this 8-year old in a perfect position to mount a stretch drive. Eric Carlson reprises the drive for trainer Gary Levine. Others: 4 IAMMRBRIGHTSIDE N, 9 JACKSRLUCKYTOO, 6 MEDIEVAL DRAGON.

Race Five:

4 DRUNKIN TERROR gets a driver-switch to Yannick Gingras. This gelding now resides in a new barn. His new trainer, Nick Surick, has been one of the leading conditioners at Freehold Raceway. Didn’t this 8-year old come flying home in his last against similar last week; he finished 2nd, less than one length behind the winner. This gelding seems to be heading “in the right direction”. New connections. New Trainer. New driver. I’m tempted “to single” this one. Others: 6 WORKANDPLAYHARD, 1 MAYICRUISEWEST, 3 JOJO JOVE.

Race Six:

2 LOTSA LOVIN is my tepid, lukewarm pick in this wide-open pace. I can make a case for several horses, but, after much hemming and hawing, I’ve landed on this Tyler Buter-driven Somebeachsomewhere-bred 4-year old gelding. This gelding is dropping faster than Steven Tyler in “Love in an Elevator”…”Livin’ it up…” This gelding set off in his last like “he was shot out of a cannon” only to come to a screeching dead stop in the stretch, a New York city-block behind the winner. Alas and alack, this gelding now drops into a field that he should be able to handle. Bruce Saunders trains this Western Hanover-bred. Others: 8 MODERN YANKEE, 1 GRAVE DANCER, 4 TWINCREEKS JESSE

Race Seven:

1 HUG THE WIND N. That was some mile this New Zealand invader paced out last week. Talk about “zooming on by”. Like they were standing still. But now he faces some of the Meadowlands “Iron” in this preferred handicap race. Is he equal to the occasion? As Shakespeare said in Hamlet: “That is the question”. I do like his inside starting post. As Artie Johnson used to say on Rowan and Martin’s “Laugh In,” “Verrry Interesting!” Andy Miller is in the bike for “The Crocodile Man,” trainer Ross Croghan. Others: 6 AWESOMENESS, 7 BETTOR’S EDGE, 8 WESTERN JOE.

Race Eight:

5 EVER AGAIN. Another one of those throwing darts at a dart-board, blindfolded. Betwixt and between. On the horns of a dilemma. A conundrum. Ad naseum: You get the picture! I’ve settled on this 10-1 ML longshot. I’m not sure I can adequately quantify this pick, but I’ll do my best. Admittedly, Troy Beyer is not a household name, but “The New Year’s Day” Boy (young man) is an up-and-comer. He’s most capable of springing the upset for this Noel Daley-owned and trained Dragon Again-bred 5-year old bay gelding. Admittedly, this gelding has shown little in his most recent efforts. Yet, he needed his last after a lengthy layoff. That last race tightener should have this Postmark-bred much more fit to mount a challenge. Again, caveat emptor. Others: 2 MAJOR WAR, 6 ALTA LEROY N, 3 DAVID’S DREAM.

Race Nine:

6 YANKEE HEAVEN. As Belinda Carlisle would sing: “Ooh, heaven is a place on earth”. Well, here we go again: “Longshot City”. This Rocknroll Heaven-bred brown gelding came charging home in this company in his last – at 38-1 (I don’t think you’ll see those odds). He finished 3rd. I believe this Dragon Again-bred is now rounding into form. I also believe he’s “a player". If Billy Dobson can work out the trip, this gelding can offer some solid returns. Eli Scott, Jr. trains. Others: 1 BIG TOP HANOVER, 3 BRICKMAN, 9 DUNE DUDE.

Race Ten:

6 LIVE ON was closing like “The Butler” (if you remember this outstanding pacer, Adios Butler, from days gone by, you’re a contemporary) in his last. Anything resembling that effort and it’s picture-taking time in the “Big M’s” winner’s circle. Andy Miller reprises the drive for trainer Tom Fanning. Others: 3 HOPE FOR BADLANDS, 2 INTERMIX, 7 DANISH DILIGENCE