PDA

View Full Version : Withers at 9F?

Lemon Drop Husker
02-01-2018, 02:33 AM
The Withers will be ran this Saturday, but this time around at 9F.

Up until 2012, the race had been run at a Mile. Then moved to a Mile and a 1/16th.

Now we run the 9F distance which is the longest any of these contenders will ever run until/before they run in the Kentucky Derby.

Undoubtedly the Holly Bull and Robert B Lewis will take precedence over this race at Aqueduct, but I do find it very interesting that this race has now moved to a critical 9F distance.

Any particular reason as to why?:confused:

Racetrack Playa
02-01-2018, 03:42 AM
The Inner dirt is now the Outer turf.

Tom
02-01-2018, 09:50 AM
The choice to have a one turn mile limits your options for other routes.
That was my first question when I heard the IT was bye bye - do you run a mile, which probably is OK early on, but dos it fit a schedule of a developing 3yo in March or April?

My guess is going 9 furlongs isn't going to kill anyone and it might help give them foundation. I think pushing horses is better than coddling them. No one say you can only start 2 or 3 time before the derby. There are a lot of opportunities out there.

Lemon Drop Husker
02-01-2018, 10:01 AM
The choice to have a one turn mile limits your options for other routes.
That was my first question when I heard the IT was bye bye - do you run a mile, which probably is OK early on, but dos it fit a schedule of a developing 3yo in March or April?

My guess is going 9 furlongs isn't going to kill anyone and it might help give them foundation. I think pushing horses is better than coddling them. No one say you can only start 2 or 3 time before the derby. There are a lot of opportunities out there.

I like that it is being ran at 9F. No complaints here.

Tom
02-01-2018, 10:10 AM
Me too. :ThmbUp:

Lemon Drop Husker
02-01-2018, 10:19 AM
Me too. :ThmbUp:

You forgot the hashtag. ;)

cj
02-01-2018, 01:05 PM
I remember the Sham being 9f in January in the past. I always liked that.