PDA

View Full Version : Trey Gowdy won't run for reelection.

Clocker
02-01-2018, 12:08 AM
Trey Gowdy, GOP Congressman from SC, has announced that he is not going to run for reelection this year. He is currently House Oversight Committee Chairman.

A former federal prosecutor, Gowdy says he is returning to the 'judicial side". There is speculation about a judgeship, but a White House official confirmed that Gowdy was approached for a seat of the 4th Circuit, largely covering his home state, but declined the offer. Other sources say that he will be entering private practice.

Seems to be a growing trend on that side of the aisle. Wonder what they know. :rolleyes:

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/31/politics/trey-gowdy-retiring/index.html

fast4522
02-01-2018, 12:19 AM
Trey Gowdy, GOP Congressman from SC, has announced that he is not going to run for reelection this year. He is currently House Oversight Committee Chairman.

A former federal prosecutor, Gowdy says he is returning to the 'judicial side". There is speculation about a judgeship, but a White House official confirmed that Gowdy was approached for a seat of the 4th Circuit, largely covering his home state, but declined the offer. Other sources say that he will be entering private practice.

Seems to be a growing trend on that side of the aisle. Wonder what they know. :rolleyes:

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/31/politics/trey-gowdy-retiring/index.html

One might expect a normal might want to do something different, he might make a good fit to be the next appointed special prosecutor.

PaceAdvantage
02-01-2018, 12:22 AM
Seems to be a growing trend on that side of the aisle. Wonder what they know. :rolleyes:They've probably seen the video the KGB has of Trump :rolleyes:

davew
02-01-2018, 12:29 AM
One might expect a normal might want to do something different, he might make a good fit to be the next appointed special prosecutor.

and Ruth Ginsberg looks ready to make her move to New Zealand, or die trying.

Clocker
02-01-2018, 12:35 AM
They've probably seen the video the KGB has of Trump :rolleyes:

The mere thought of such a tape just ruined my appetite and gave me a major soft-on that could last for days. :puke:

Clocker
02-01-2018, 12:36 AM

I would gladly contribute to either worthy cause.

JustRalph
02-01-2018, 12:49 AM
There is an opening on the 4th circuit court of appeals, it became official yesterday

Ocala Mike
02-01-2018, 01:34 AM
Brings to 34 the total number of House R's not seeking re-election.

incoming
02-01-2018, 03:14 AM
This could be part of the reason....from USA TODAY:

"Term limits are undoubtedly a factor. He suggested as much at a February breakfast hosted by The Christian Science Monitor. Asked if he thought term limits on committee chairmen were a mistake, he offered a simple, "Yeah. I think so."
Term limits rose out of the 1994 GOP revolution, when Republicans swept into power on a pledge to change the way Washington runs. House Republicans, under then-speaker Newt Gingrich, R-Ga., imposed a rule that legislators could not serve more than six years as the party's top lawmaker on a committee, even if those six years were spent in the minority. Senate Republicans followed suit, but with a tweak: Senate GOP chairmen could serve six years as chairman and six years as ranking minority member.

The original intention was noble. Certain party chairmen under decades of Democratic rule before the Republican Revolution held tremendous power, and Republicans believed it had a corrupting effect. (Democrats have never put similar term limits on their chairmen.)"

Tom
02-01-2018, 10:32 AM
There is an opening on the 4th circuit court of appeals, it became official yesterday

Trump is going to appoint Vladimir Plutoski to the bench.
Phase I in granting amnesty to the RUSSIANS.

FantasticDan
02-01-2018, 10:52 AM
Brings to 34 the total number of House R's not seeking re-election.
#Winning gets boring, that's why these repugs are getting out. On to bigger challenges. Riding the coat tails of Trump's soaring popularity, they would all win re-election too easily, it wouldn't be satisfying for them.

:lol:

horses4courses
02-01-2018, 11:00 AM
#Winning gets boring, that's why these repugs are getting out. On to bigger challenges. Riding the coat tails of Trump's soaring popularity, they would all win re-election too easily, it wouldn't be satisfying for them.

It's also more profitable on a personal level
in the private sector when you're connected.

Time to line their pockets.
They can always run for public office again.
Provided they stay out of jail (a given, looking at trends on the judiciary)

Tom
02-01-2018, 11:15 AM
It's also more profitable on a personal level
in the private sector when you're connected.

Time to line their pockets.
They can always run for public office again.
Provided they stay out of jail (a given, looking at trends on the judiciary)

MY Gawd, you described the Clintons!
:pound::pound::pound:

boxcar
02-01-2018, 12:14 PM

Maybe she's already on life support. I don't recall seeing her at the SOTU.

JustRalph
02-01-2018, 01:49 PM

Most of them were anti Trump. They know they have no future

Tom
02-01-2018, 02:43 PM
Maybe she's already on life support. I don't recall seeing her at the SOTU.

She was up in the dome - with the rest of the bats.
Before you ask, NAncy Pelosi was not up there with her because, well, even BATS have standards.

Tom
02-01-2018, 02:44 PM
34 openings for Tea Party repubs to grab.
You know, REAL AMericans.

FantasticDan
02-01-2018, 03:10 PM
Ah, any politician who dares be anti Trump has no future.

Gotcha.

:rolleyes:

Clocker
02-01-2018, 03:28 PM

A number of those opting not to run were around retirement age, and perhaps tired of the increasing BS in Washington. Gowdy could have had a strong future in politics well beyond Trump if he wanted it.

Lemon Drop Husker
02-01-2018, 03:31 PM
That sucks.

Gowdy was one of the few in the swamp worth a listen.

Many reasons for many things, I wish him well in his future endeavors. :ThmbUp:

Tom
02-01-2018, 05:06 PM
Ah, any politician who dares be anti Trump has no future.

Gotcha.

:rolleyes:

Kinda like Bernie and Hillary, eh?

JustRalph
02-01-2018, 07:16 PM
That sucks.

Gowdy was one of the few in the swamp worth a listen.

Many reasons for many things, I wish him well in his future endeavors. :ThmbUp:

A lifetime appt as a Federal Judge is a huge deal.

Clocker
02-01-2018, 07:27 PM

It may be huge, but his potential earnings in the private sector are YUGE.

Gowdy was asked by White House Counsel Don McGahn if he was interested in one of the two openings on the 4th Circuit, which includes his home state. He said he wasn't.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/02/01/trey-gowdy-turned-down-appointment-to-federal-bench.html

barahona44
02-02-2018, 08:11 AM
It may be huge, but his potential earnings in the private sector are YUGE.

Gowdy was asked by White House Counsel Don McGahn if he was interested in one of the two openings on the 4th Circuit, which includes his home state. He said he wasn't.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/02/01/trey-gowdy-turned-down-appointment-to-federal-bench.html

The only way he's going to make the big Dinero in private practice is either

1) Stay in Washington and become a lobbyist/political consultant.If he seemed to be tired of DC shenanigans why throw yourself back in that muck.?

2) Become a criminal defense attorney specializing in white collar crime.I think there's limited opportunities in South Carolina for that line of work;:strictly a big city job

3) Corporate counsel.There's enough big companies that have established bases in SC to make that a reality.

However, he said he wants to stay in "the justice system" , whatever that means.

reckless
02-02-2018, 04:07 PM

Word is that Trey Gowdy could be considered for FBI Director if Christopher Ray quits next week because Ray does have a role in this sad, treasonous FBI scandal.

I personally would prefer John Pistole to replace the soon-to-be discredited Ray as FBI Director, but Gowdy will do.

Clocker
02-02-2018, 05:07 PM
Word is that Trey Gowdy could be considered for FBI Director if Christopher Ray quits next week because Ray does have a role in this sad, treasonous FBI scandal.

Gowdy said, "I will be returning to the justice system."

That certainly rules out the FBI. :p

Clocker
02-02-2018, 05:08 PM
However, he said he wants to stay in "the justice system" , whatever that means.

He said, "Whatever skills I may have are better utilized in a courtroom than in Congress, and I enjoy our justice system more than our political system.”

reckless
02-02-2018, 05:25 PM

That certainly rules out the FBI. :p

No argument from me, clocker (for a change). :)

Tom
02-02-2018, 07:42 PM
Maybe he will go back to announcing baseball - he was pretty good in the day.

fast4522
02-02-2018, 09:18 PM

Some folks prefer to have at least some time with family, I wish him well.

davew
02-02-2018, 09:22 PM
they are going to need a special prosecutor to find out about the dims using restricted government programs to help their campaign.

Tom
02-02-2018, 09:49 PM
So it looks like if the RUSSIANS did interfere, what they did was actually make the elections fair after the democrats rigged them.

JustRalph
02-02-2018, 10:16 PM
Maybe he will go back to announcing baseball - he was pretty good in the day.

You’re killing me!

Nutz and Boltz
02-04-2018, 03:21 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/gowdy-gop-memo-doesn-discredit-mueller-probe-article-1.3798165

elysiantraveller
02-04-2018, 03:29 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/gowdy-gop-memo-doesn-discredit-mueller-probe-article-1.3798165

Now watch everyone turn on him on here...

woodtoo
02-04-2018, 05:19 PM
Now watch everyone turn on him on here...

After years of listening to Trey's big committee talk for years with no results
people realize he is all hat, no cattle.
I've also heard his net worth took a huge leap lately, any one have insight on this?

ps; I am not everyone

woodtoo
02-04-2018, 05:34 PM
Trey Gowdy was on Face the Nation earlier,

Tom
02-04-2018, 05:36 PM
You mean Disgrace the Nation?

Track Collector
02-05-2018, 11:06 AM
After years of listening to Trey's big committee talk for years with no results
people realize he is all hat, no cattle.
I've also heard his net worth took a huge leap lately, any one have insight on this?

ps; I am not everyone

Alex, Uniparty for $600 please.

Clocker
02-05-2018, 12:27 PM
I've also heard his net worth took a huge leap lately

Where did you hear this?

PaceAdvantage
02-05-2018, 01:15 PM
Now watch everyone turn on him on here...Why would it discredit the ongoing probe? It might discredit the reason for OPENING the probe, but once opened, if anything is found, tough cookies...

Then again, some evidence may not be admissible if gotten via an illegal wiretap...

FantasticDan
10-14-2019, 11:24 AM
bump

CLOWN SHOW

https://twitter.com/anniekarni/status/1183581152235401216