PDA

View Full Version : Meadowlands P10 Survivor: Foreign Currency Bias

BaconLover
01-28-2018, 03:44 PM
As the p10 survivor at M1 generates momentum, I have a huge issue with how foreign currency is essentially a bias against US-based players.

For normal wagering pools (EXA, TRI, SUP, etc.), whether I’m playing in USD or someone else is playing in CAD, it’s typically irrelevant because I’m there are multiples winners and we each get our fair share of bet amount x odds in our respective currencies.

For a “winner take all” type of pool like the survivor p10, where the intent is to have only one winning ticket, the currency difference leads to a significant bias where Canadian players are getting in for about $0.162 and we are getting in for $0.20. That may not sound like much, but that’s a good 19% discount (today’s exchange rate) for Canadian players. Essentially, the same money can get you 23% more plays into the same pool if you are north of the border ($100 in USD plays gets you $123 in CAN plays, or 23% more combinations).

Imagine playing bingo or participating in a grand prize raffle where someone else pays 19% less for their cards or tickets than you..for a chance at the same prize. Is that fair?

The bias is much less of a concern for jackpot hi5s and such...because most of the time, the jackpot doesn’t pay out and you are getting compensated appropriately in your own currency when there are mutiple winners.

davew
01-28-2018, 04:03 PM
how does that pool work? pick winner and stay in until no one has winner, then everyone live in last race splits?

Overcall
01-28-2018, 04:13 PM
Im not sure exactly what ur point is? At Mohawk last year i played Meadowlands pick four. At Mohawk they charged $.60 minimum. In the United States the pick four is a 50 Cent minimum.

EdZone
01-28-2018, 05:46 PM
Im not sure exactly what ur point is? At Mohawk last year i played Meadowlands pick four. At Mohawk they charged $.60 minimum. In the United States the pick four is a 50 Cent minimum.

Simply because US 50 cents equal approx 60 cents Canadian.
So if min US 10 cents, Canadian will be min 20 cents bet.

BaconLover
01-28-2018, 06:34 PM
how does that pool work? pick winner and stay in until no one has winner, then everyone live in last race splits?

That is correct.

The ticket(s) with the most consecutive winners starting with the first race wins the entire pool.

Last night, the winning ticket had 7-1-2-2-2-9-X-X-X-X, which is the first 6 winners correct and paid about $20K. Based on the payout, the winning ticket likely came from Canada.

BaconLover
01-28-2018, 06:38 PM

Someone is being allowed to play the survivor p10 wager from a foreign outlet for $0.16 USD. Maybe it isn’t Canada, but the exchange rate appears to indicate Canada.

davew
01-28-2018, 06:58 PM
So you are saying the 20cent ticket should cost 25 cents Canadian? Why don't you contact thhe track and ask them why it is fair?

Overcall
01-28-2018, 07:04 PM
Simply because US 50 cents equal approx 60 cents Canadian.
So if min US 10 cents, Canadian will be min 20 cents bet.

Edzone... that was my point. I don’t think you can buy a $.20 surviver ticket in Canada. I don’t know that for sure. Maybe somebody from Canada can Enlighten us. Guessing its a 25 cent ticket.

EdZone
01-28-2018, 10:12 PM
Edzone... that was my point. I don’t think you can buy a $.20 surviver ticket in Canada. I don’t know that for sure. Maybe somebody from Canada can Enlighten us. Guessing its a 25 cent ticket.

Yes, you can.
Canadian Payout for 20 cents:-
Meadowlands Saturday Jan 27
$0.20 Pick 10 7 / 1 / 2 / 2 / 2 / 9 / ALL / ALL / ALL / ALL (6 of 10) $20,138.90

BaconLover
01-29-2018, 12:29 AM
Thanks for confirming.

I just noticed that the Meadowlands website mentioned that the winning ticket was from Canada.

http://www.thebigm.com/News.aspx?id=16895

I’ll contact M1 tomorrow.