Teach
01-27-2018, 08:21 AM
“Oh, the “Rainbow 6” is a-rising
And the rum is a-getting low
I scarcely think the “The 6” gets hit
Till we get to Sunday’s card, oh, oh.
Till we get to Sunday, oh.
With apologies to Burl Ives: “The E-ri-e Canal”

Race Seven: The Fred W. Hooper Grade III One Mile.

:1: Tale of Silence just missed in a non-graded stakes at Laurel two months ago. He tacks on an additional panel in today's race, a plus. He’ll be coming off the “tail-gate”. “Timing…a tick-a, tick-a, tick-a…” is everything. Jose Ortiz must “press the button” at exactly the right moment if this colt stands any chance of winning. Barclay Tagg trains. One caveat: Tagg does not do well with horses entered in graded stakes.

:8: Tommy Macho was last seen 4 months ago finishing 4th in the Grade II Kelso at Belmont Park. This 6-year old horse was passing tiring foes in that one. I believe that this Macho Uno-bred’s "time-out" can do him wonders. Todd Pletcher (Nuff Ced) trains this grandson of Holy Bull. The hot-as-a-petardo, the Panamanian-born, Luis Saez, is in the irons.

:6: Giuseppe the Great could be “the sleeper”. Admittedly, on the surface of it all, this Nick Zito entrant appears overmatched in this company. But “El Dominicano,” Joel Rosario, is one of the best riders in the country. Rosario seems to get really motivated for these multi-stakes racing days. This colt did win his last at one mile and a teenth at GP (he moves up in company). This 4-year old can “get the distance”. Oh, one major concern: Zito does not do well with horses entered in graded stakes.

Race Eight: W.L. McKNeight Grade III One Mile and One-Half (turf)

:4: Nessy was closing, but he simply ran out of real estate in his last start back in October at Keeneland, the Grade III Sycamore. Ian Wilkes trains this altered son of Flower Alley. If this Distorted Humor-bred can reprise that effort of three months ago, he can be right there: “a contendah”. Monsieur Julien Leparoux is in the irons.

:3: Gold Shield gets the services of Irad Ortiz, Jr. for trainer “Shug” McGaughey. This Medaglia d’Oro-bred was last seen finishing 3rd in a 2-mile turf marathon, the H. Allen Jerkens. He now cuts back to a more reasonable distance: 12 panels. This grandson of El Prado has been most competitive in these marathon turf races.

:5: Bullards Alley seems like “the logical” (he was installed by GP’s Morning Line Oddsmaker, Jay Stone, as the favorite at 2-1). This Flower Alley-bred gelding went off as “the chalk” in the aforementioned H. Allen Jerkens; he lost in a head-bob. This 6-year old is a classy sort who has faced stakes competition throughout his career. If he lives up to expectations, he can prevail. Paco Lopez reprises for Tim Glyshaw.

:7: Oscar Nominated did not run his race in the Grade III Red Smith at Aqueduct over 2 months ago. Frankly, this Kitten’s Joy-bred ridgling has been an enigima. This El Prado-bred has run some excellent races, but he’s also thrown in some “clunkers”. If he fires the way he’s capable of firing, he can be right there. Jose Ortiz for trainer Mike Maker.

Race Nine: Grade III Hurricane Bertie 7 furlongs

:11: Moonlit Promise is my off-the-wall “longshot special”. I believe this Malibu Moon-bred bay mare has a chance of gracing the winner’s circle. Why? This Woodbine shipper has won three straight races (two were graded stakes). She’s four wins out of her last five. I believe this A.P. Indy-bred can be put in a perfect stalking position. If all goes well, she can spring the upset...at a price. Regular rider, Gary Boulanger, is in the irons for trainer Josie Carroll.

:7: Curlin’s Approval is the more convential pick. She will likely go off as the prohibitive favorite, and deservedly so. If this Curlin-bred mare runs her race, she’ll be tough to beat. She was 2nd a little over one month ago in GP’s Grade III Rampart. She went off at even money. Luis Saez is in the saddle for trainer Happy Alter. Alter does very well in most racing categories, albeit with a limited sampling.

Race Ten: Gulfstream Park Turf Sprint Non-Graded
5 Furlongs

:11: Blind Ambition is my longshot pick (I’m admittedly trying to beat horses that I believe will be favorites). This Tapit-bred bay gelding showed little in her last at Aqueduct two months ago, a race won by an entrant in today’s field, Rainbow Heir. Yet, I believe today’s outside starting post moves this 4-year old up (less chances of gate issues). Javier Castellano rides for Todd Pletcher.

:10: Pool Winner is another longshot try. I’m partial to Jose Lezcano’s skills on the grass. This 6-year old gelding was 2nd at Laurel in allowance company in her last about 5 months ago. This Broken Vow-bred has an excellent lifetime turf record: 18: 7-7-1. Alan Goldberg trains; he does well with “shippers”. This gelding's chances are bolstered by his two back-to-back morning “bullets”.

Race Eleven: South Beach Non-Graded 7 and ˝ furlongs (turf)

:11: Celestine gets my nod in this turf route. Jose Ortiz will need to get this Scat Daddy-bred mare into the game, early. The horses will be hitting that first turn in a heartbeat. Ortiz must put this mare into position or it’s possible that she’ll languish near the back of the pack. This mare’s chances of gracing the winner's circle will likely be determined in the first furlong. If all goes well, she can be there. This Christophe Clement trainee has hit the board in 9 out of 10 tries at the distance. Clement does very well with horses that have been vacances.

:10: Storm the Hill, the Eddie Kenneally trainee, has been very competitive, first on the West Coast, and more recently at Hallandale Beach. This Get Stormy-bred filly has hit the tote in 9 out of 14 lifetime tries. I like the 2nd-off-a-layoff angle. The slight cut-back off a most recent 3rd place finish should help. Luis Saez has his feet in the stirrups. A recent “bullet” bolsters confidence.

Race Twelve: Pegasus World Cup Invitational Grade I $16,300,000 One Mile and one-eighth.

:10: Gun Runner. The Hall-of Famer from “The Streets of Laredo,” Steve Asmussen, has had this Candy Ride-bred in tip-top condition; this horse has been nothing short of amazing: 4-straight Grade I wins. Wow! I guess my only gnawing concern is that first turn; it comes up very quickly. The #10-hole doesn’t do this Ride the Rails-bred any favors. Jockey Florent Geroux must get this chestnut into position early, that is without sacrificing his closing speed. If that can be accomplished, I don’t see anything that can prevent this magnificent racehorse from gracing the winner’s circle. I know some have mentioned Sharp Azteca; yet if Gun Runner runs his race, he can win, albeit at a short price.