PDA

View Full Version : ego satisfaction in horseplayers

fishorsechess
08-22-2004, 03:31 AM
This is one of the dirty laundry questions.
Where do horseplayers derive ego satisifaction
from the game?
Is it from
a) "I am smarter than everyone"
b) "I am correct...my horse won"
c) "I am 1 in 10,000 that can beat the game, the
toughest game on the planet"
d) "I know a secret that no one else does"

Fastracehorse
08-22-2004, 04:30 AM
LOL.

fffastt

cj
08-22-2004, 04:32 AM
For me, its about the $$$, that's all the boost I need.

sjk
08-22-2004, 08:57 AM
Gambling on, watching, and rooting for horses is fun. The major downside to most gambling is the fear (and reality) of loss. Once you have a lot of confidence that your gambling has a positive financial expectation the whole experience is much more enjoyable.

Dutch
08-22-2004, 09:52 AM
The ego factor is not to be discounted. I used to see people at the dog track in Denver, always walking around saying "I had that race, or I picked the 2" and they would show a ticket. If you watched them, you would see they never played a race - they just showed old tickets. It was all the ego.
I've also seen people put a $2 bet on a 1-5 favorite, and then go crazy when it won. Bragging and jumping up and down just to say they got the winner - even though they only won 20 cents.
I've seen guys betting real money on the replay of the previous day's races, while waiting for the races to start. Ego.
It's one reason you can win, especially if you can beat the favorite.

Buckeye
08-22-2004, 09:56 AM
That's right. If you have a 20-1 shot in a racebook and you're rooting him home, you'll be the ONLY one screaming.

Derek2U
08-22-2004, 10:08 AM
Happy Sunday Morning ALL ....
SJK ... How right you are that long-range confidence is a major ++.
It's the same with most (every?) investment strategy.

ranchwest
08-22-2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye
That's right. If you have a 20-1 shot in a racebook and you're rooting him home, you'll be the ONLY one screaming.

And when the others have handfuls of tickets on another horse, they look at you a bit oddly.

Ah, Very Subtle. :)

Binder
08-22-2004, 06:21 PM
For me its B
I get the most satisfation from
trusting my paceline selection
and my program of choice
Doc Sartin's Val 3
When a race is over and I've made the proper decision
I feel happy that I have followed directions and won

The $$ are my pay for a job well done
I feel like I did my job so I am happy

Its got a lot to do with a deep down feelind I would lose if I tried to handicapp on my own

Binder
V/DC Messenger

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/VDCMessengerService/join

kenwoodallpromos
08-23-2004, 01:54 AM
C.

46zilzal
08-24-2004, 11:40 PM
One has to have a healthy ego but not a destructive one. Used to wear a shirt to the track that said "I am here to take your money"...silly..now I just take the "dumb bucks" and say thank you...you silly unprepared people.

Speed Figure
08-24-2004, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
For me, its about the $$$, that's all the boost I need. I feel the same way! You can't have a ego without the money.