PDA

View Full Version : Grocery Store of the Future?

barahona44
01-24-2018, 02:13 PM
So , now what do I do with my clipped coupons?

https://www.geekwire.com/2018/check-no-checkout-amazon-go-automated-retail-store-will-finally-open-public-monday/

davew
01-24-2018, 02:42 PM
I don't think it will become very popular.

boxcar
01-24-2018, 02:44 PM
So , now what do I do with my clipped coupons?

https://www.geekwire.com/2018/check-no-checkout-amazon-go-automated-retail-store-will-finally-open-public-monday/

Wallpaper?

thaskalos
01-24-2018, 02:51 PM
How will the weight sensors work when several customers take stuff from the same pile, at the same time?

RunForTheRoses
01-24-2018, 03:04 PM
How will it work when a flash mob strikes?

boxcar
01-24-2018, 03:36 PM
How will it work when a flash mob strikes?

Automated armed security system.

incoming
01-24-2018, 03:40 PM
I think home deliveries will be the next big consumer product for grocery shoppers. The technique mentioned in the article will help this process. A lot of grocery shoppers also shop on line and then pick-up their order at the store.

Kroger is also working on a similar process for the online shopper.

Right down your alley....thaskalos.....what do you think?:popcorn:

boxcar
01-24-2018, 03:53 PM
I think home deliveries will be the next big consumer product for grocery shoppers. The technique mentioned in the article will help this process. A lot of grocery shoppers also shop on line and then pick-up their order at the store.

Having surrogates shop for me has no appeal to me whatsoever. I like the eyes-on, hands-on approach when I buy my meat, fruits and veggies or anything for that matter that is very date sensitive.

incoming
01-24-2018, 03:59 PM
I was thinking about the 'boomers'...they are getting older.

boxcar
01-24-2018, 04:09 PM
I was thinking about the 'boomers'...they are getting older.

So am I.

Tom
01-24-2018, 04:12 PM

We have that at Tops and Wegmans around here. Wegmans delivers to your house within an hour.

incoming
01-24-2018, 04:27 PM
We have that at Tops and Wegmans around here. Wegmans delivers to your house within an hour.

I would think in the cold states it would be very popular. Especially, those beer runs....:jump:

boxcar
01-24-2018, 04:30 PM
I would think in the cold states it would be very popular. Especially, those beer runs....:jump:

They actually drink cold beer in the winter in cold states? :eek:

incoming
01-24-2018, 04:40 PM

Naw....what was I thinking....:)

thaskalos
01-24-2018, 06:45 PM

I wouldn't want to work in their complaint department.

davew
01-24-2018, 06:53 PM

The cold states have many more small bars and taverns than grocery stores, so for most people closer than a grocery store.

jay68802
01-24-2018, 07:05 PM
The cold states have many more small bars and taverns than grocery stores, so for most people closer than a grocery store.

I live in Nebraska. Within 5 blocks of my house is the grocery store, 2 convenient stores, 4 lawyers, insurance, court house, library, pharmacy, 2 churches and 2 bars. It is not a beer run, I walk calmly to the bar.

thaskalos
01-24-2018, 07:07 PM
oooHaving surrogates shop for me has no appeal to me whatsoever. I like the eyes-on, hands-on approach when I buy my meat, fruits and veggies or anything for that matter that is very date sensitive.
:ThmbUp:

I never thought I would live to see the day when the customer became "too busy" to do his/her own grocery shopping. I ran grocery stores for over 30 years...and I never met a customer who didn't obsess about choosing the freshest and the best items for him/herself.

What exactly are we "too busy" with? Facebook?

barahona44
01-24-2018, 07:36 PM
ooo

I never thought I would live to see the day when the customer became "too busy" to do his/her own grocery shopping. I ran grocery stores for over 30 years...and I never met a customer who didn't obsess about choosing the freshest and the best items for him/herself.

]What exactly are we "too busy" with? Facebook?

Nope, Pace Advantage. :cool:

Tom
01-24-2018, 10:31 PM

We up our consumption in the winter. That way we have to get up to pee every hour and we won't freeze up sleeping. Kind of like leaving a facet open a wee bit to keep water trickling out.

jay68802
01-24-2018, 10:35 PM
We up our consumption in the winter. That way we have to get up to pee every hour and we won't freeze up sleeping. Kind of like leaving a facet open a wee bit to keep water trickling out.

And we walk urgently to the store for our Depends.

barahona44
01-24-2018, 11:21 PM
Definitely a relationship between cold weather and booze drinking

http://www.lawyershop.com/2012/10/05/states-with-high-dui-arrest-alcohol-consumption-rates

Jay, as you can see, Nebraska ranks tenth in alcohol consumption.Time to step up to the plate and start hoisting a few.Do it for your fellow Cornhuskers, if not yourself.:)

Clocker
01-24-2018, 11:24 PM
I walk calmly to the bar.

Most Nebraskans I ever knew called it a beer joint. :p

JustRalph
01-24-2018, 11:29 PM
ooo

What exactly are we "too busy" with? Facebook?

Grocery delivery? It’s a Godsend if you are crippled up. My wife still shops for us, but I can no longer walk around a grocery store. Every week I spend an 1/2 hour or so in my truck outside a grocery store waiting on my wife. We order lots of stuff online though. Especially the heavy stuff. Cat litter n cat food etc.

The worst places I find are Lowe’s or Home Depot. Concrete floors (which is what I believe is under all commercial buildings now) with no tile etc really gets to be hard for me to walk on after 10 minutes or so.

I’m all for delivery of everything I can get. In our business we buy all of our meats via the business.

incoming
01-25-2018, 04:26 AM
Grocery delivery? It’s a Godsend if you are crippled up. My wife still shops for us, but I can no longer walk around a grocery store. Every week I spend an 1/2 hour or so in my truck outside a grocery store waiting on my wife. We order lots of stuff online though. Especially the heavy stuff. Cat litter n cat food etc.

The worst places I find are Lowe’s or Home Depot. Concrete floors (which is what I believe is under all commercial buildings now) with no tile etc really gets to be hard for me to walk on after 10 minutes or so.

I’m all for delivery of everything I can get. In our business we buy all of our meats via the business.

I hear you JustRalph...I buy frozen for freshness thru Schwan's they delivery in my neck of the woods every two weeks, they bring it inside. I use Jet.com for staples they are a subsidary of Walmart, they use UPS for delivery.

JustRalph
01-25-2018, 01:35 PM
Jet and Chewy

I also use Walmart.com

Since they have started a price war with Amazon.....some good deals can be had.......

boxcar
01-25-2018, 01:46 PM

Oh...okay...so it's a plumbing safety net. :rolleyes: What do I know? I've been living in Swampland too long.

jay68802
01-25-2018, 01:46 PM
Definitely a relationship between cold weather and booze drinking

http://www.lawyershop.com/2012/10/05/states-with-high-dui-arrest-alcohol-consumption-rates

Jay, as you can see, Nebraska ranks tenth in alcohol consumption.Time to step up to the plate and start hoisting a few.Do it for your fellow Cornhuskers, if not yourself.:)

:lol:

FakeNameChanged
01-25-2018, 04:29 PM
I don't think it will become very popular.
what bankers said about ATM's.