PDA

View Full Version : Do you play too many races ?

dav4463
08-21-2004, 11:50 PM
If you think you might be playing too many races, try this excercise and see if it helps. It has helped me. Handicap an entire race card.....then pick out the 8 races you like the best. That will quickly get rid of a couple of races. Then divide them up into A,B,C,D categories.

A- I like the race. I have it down to one, maybe two contenders.

B- I like the race. Top two contenders look strong, possibly a third at big odds.

C- Three contenders stand out, possibly a huge longshot fourth contender.

D- Four contenders or more. Definitely need a price.

This is the way I look at them, but ABCD category can be based on confidence in the race, or big value, whatever you are comfortable with doing. When betting....BET HALF THE AMOUNT ON A LOWER CATEGORY RACE THAN HIGHER CATEGORY.

For example, if your normal big bet is $40........

Bet $40 on A races.....$20 on B races....$10 on C races ....and $5 on D races.

You should have two races in each category with an occasional exception. Some days I will have only one A race for example, three B races and two C and two D. Normally though I try to get two races in each category. Keep records of each category. By doing this, I found that many races I made B races were stronger than my A races and I changed some of my assigning based on that type of race. It works for me, hope someone else tries it out.

Hosshead
08-22-2004, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by dav4463
If you think you might be playing too many races, try this excercise and see if it helps. .... My problem has been just the opposite. Not playing enough races. Too selective. I want to go the other way, more volume and bring down the size of each bet. The win % may drop a little, but I won't be worrying about lowering the odds on longshots so much, (especially at minor tracks), and I think I might like the comfort zone of more/yet smaller bets. The "worry factor" is important. And rebates aren't really the main reason. (Although they're an added bonus) I just have always been so very selective, that I want to make a change, and try the "shotgun" approach. I think Dick Schmidt talked about it one time. I'm working on this change,.. but change is hard.

Buckeye
08-22-2004, 10:00 AM
Your bet size should be small enough (repeat, small enough!) so that you absolutely do not care.

Why?

You'll win. :)