PDA

View Full Version : Neil Diamond

jocko699
01-22-2018, 10:30 PM
My bride and I saw him at the MGM Grand in Vegas a few years ago. What a great show!!!!

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/m/1f97cf44-1acb-3722-9c2e-a024ca619276/ss_neil-diamond-diagnosed-with.html

zico20
01-22-2018, 10:45 PM
I love Neil Diamond. One of my top 10 rock singers of all time.

JustRalph
01-23-2018, 12:25 AM
The wife loves him......

I admire his writing.......great commercial songs

chadk66
01-23-2018, 08:51 AM
he really is a great talent. the album "The Jazz Singer" is one of my favorites.

barahona44
01-23-2018, 09:17 AM
Back in late 1967 or early 68 my older brother, who was a big Neil Diamond fan, and me went to see him in concert( first concert for both of us) at the Springfield MA Symphony Hall..Headlining was Junior Walker and the All Stars, (my man Junior just about blew the roof of the building with his saxophone) and jazz saxophonist King Curtis opened the show.Rather unusual booking! This was Neil in his pre-Vegas days, an acoustic guitar and a small backing band.

Hope he enjoys his retirement.Performers rarely retire voluntarily.He certainly doesn't need the money but he might need the applause.

Inner Dirt
01-23-2018, 10:17 AM
Hope he enjoys his retirement.Performers rarely retire voluntarily.He certainly doesn't need the money but he might need the applause.

Quite a few singers up in the years have stopped touring or taken break for health reasons then passed away shortly. The list is pretty long.

Tom
01-23-2018, 11:17 AM
Got lot of his hits in my stacks of wax~!:headbanger:

JustRalph
01-23-2018, 11:23 AM
Got lot of his hits in my stacks of wax~!:headbanger:

I hope Mickey Dolenz “ I’m a believer” is in that stack. It’s made Diamond a ton of money

Marshall Bennett
01-23-2018, 11:36 AM
I never was a fan. Not saying he wasn't good. I know when you're 77 your voice tends to get creepy. Seeing some of the clips today and yesterday on the news of him singing, I couldn't listen to him for long.

BaffertsWig
01-23-2018, 12:08 PM
I never was a fan. Not saying he wasn't good. I know when you're 77 your voice tends to get creepy. Seeing some of the clips today and yesterday on the news of him singing, I couldn't listen to him for long.

Bob Dylan's voice has been shot since the last time I saw him with The Dead back in 2002. I hate to say it, but he should have hung it up decades ago.

barahona44
01-23-2018, 12:20 PM
Bob Dylan's voice has been shot since the last time I saw him with The Dead back in 2002. I hate to say it, but he should have hung it up decades ago.

Dylan's voice has ALWAYS been shot. :)

jk3521
01-23-2018, 12:40 PM
...and some never lose it..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P21Xp07RmLE&index=3&list=RDklXVwOLkRw0

At 83 years of age !

Grits
01-23-2018, 11:58 PM
Jk, you do realize the original tempo of this song when it was recorded by Frankie and his Four Seasons, right?

And his mummified, too. :lol:

I like Neil's love songs. "September Morn" and "You Don't Bring Me Flowers Anymore" were his two finest. "America" is one of his best, too. Though, today, things have changed, it should probably be retitled "The Way We Were".

Inner Dirt
01-24-2018, 09:45 AM

I remember somewhere there was a list of songs where the remake or cover was considered better than the original.

I would consider any song originally sung by Bob Dylan should be on that list. To me he sounds like someone trying to sing after being shot in the stomach a couple times.

barahona44
01-24-2018, 12:04 PM
Back in late 1967 or early 68 my older brother, who was a big Neil Diamond fan, and me went to see him in concert( first concert for both of us) at the Springfield MA Symphony Hall..Headlining was Junior Walker and the All Stars, (my man Junior just about blew the roof of the building with his saxophone) and jazz saxophonist King Curtis opened the show.Rather unusual booking! This was Neil in his pre-Vegas days, an acoustic guitar and a small backing band.

Boy, you really can find everything on Google!

http://www.masslive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2015/01/forgotten_concerts_neil_diamon.html

Only 650 in attendance? No wonder bands bypassed Springfield for so long.We must have bought the 2.00 seats, way up in the mezzanine.One thing I remember is that when Jr. Walker came on, all the black kids got up and danced in the aisles.I remember that Junior finished the concert but the article said Diamond was the headliner.