PDA

View Full Version : Those Crazy Dems and Detroit Ho's :D

JustRalph
08-21-2004, 04:26 PM
Former Mich Democratic Party chair Hollowell faces solicitation citation
August 19, 2004, 7:24 PM

DETROIT (AP) -- Former Michigan Democratic Party chairman Melvin "Butch" Hollowell faces a citation on accusations he solicited a prostitute, according to a broadcast report.

Hollowell, who left his Democratic Party post earlier this month to join John Kerry's national legal team, was pulled over Tuesday night after picking up a woman on Woodward Avenue, not far from his home in Palmer Woods, Detroit station WDIV-TV reported.

An attorney for Hollowell told WDIV that the incident was a misunderstanding and Hollowell has denied any wrongdoing. Messages left by The Associated Press seeking comment from the attorney and Hollowell were not immediately returned Thursday evening.

Wayne County prosecutor's office spokeswoman Maria Miller said Hollowell's car was impounded Tuesday night. He must pay $900 to get it back.

She said any citation would have to be issued by the city of Detroit. A city attorney could not immediately be reached Thursday.

Hollowell is scheduled to appear in 36th District Court in Detroit on Friday, WDIV reported.

Hollowell, 44, is a friend of Gov. Jennifer Granholm, who appointed him to the Michigan Civil Rights Commission last week.

Hollowell contacted Granholm's office on Thursday and said he planned to resign the appointment, Granholm spokesman Liz Boyd said.

"We are disappointed by the resignation and were totally taken by surprise," Boyd said.

The civil rights position is unpaid. The commission investigates alleged discrimination against any person because of religion, race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, height, weight, arrest record or physical and mental disabilities.

Hollowell's appointment would have been subject to consent of the state Senate, which is controlled by Republicans.

Hollowell, a lawyer who once ran for Michigan Secretary of State, also was recently appointed to Kerry's legal team. The Democratic presidential candidate's campaign had no comment late Thursday.

"We're still collecting information and we have no further comment at this time," said Rodell Mollineau, a Kerry spokesman.

The Michigan Democratic Party did not immediately return a message seeking comment, while Greg McNeilly, executive director of Michigan Republican Party, said the party does not "feel it is a political issue or an issue for public discussion."

"It's obviously a tough time for Mr. Hollowell and his family," McNeilly said. "Our sympathies are with him and his family as he works this out."

Hollowell is married with two children.

Hollowell Responds to Charges
By Bill Proctor
Web produced by Jenny DiDomenico
August 20, 2004

Melvin "Butch" Hollowell, former chairman of Michigan's democratic party and a respected lawyer and politician, insists there's an innocent explanation for a scandalous charge against him.

Police ticketed Hollowell last Tuesday for allegedly picking up a prostitute near Woodward and Grixdale in Detroit, not far from his home in Palmer Woods. Police pulled Hollowell over at around 8:00 that evening.

Hollowell has denied any wrongdoing, and says he making a broad daylight rescue of a young blonde woman he thought was in trouble. He writes, in part:

"Last Tuesday, in broad daylight, as I was returning from work and just a few blocks from my home, I noticed a woman who appeared to be in distress, waving her arms. I stopped and asked if she needed help, and offered to take her to the 12th Precinct police station which is just a few blocks away. She declined and indicated that I could simply drop her off at a house around the corner.

"Nothing happened other than I saw someone who needed help and I stopped to help her?This is all a gross misunderstanding and I am confident that these untrue charges will be dismissed quickly and I will be completely cleared."

The highly respected lawyer, politician and businessman-to-be decided not to speak in his own defense when reached by phone Friday afternoon, referring Action News instead to his attorney. He has, however, announced in a written message that he is stepping down from legal assignments with the national Kerry for President campaign, and away from a position with the state Civil Rights Commission that the governor had asked him to take.

Hollowell is due to appear in court on Tuesday.