PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Racing Trainers in New Jersey

njhorsedrew
01-21-2018, 09:51 AM
I am looking for a reasonable racing trainer in South Jersey. Any suggestions are appreciated.

TonOfTrot
01-21-2018, 02:19 PM
I am looking for a reasonable racing trainer in South Jersey. Any suggestions are appreciated.

why don't you look into harness ownership? there are a whole bunch of harness trainers around there.

njhorsedrew
01-21-2018, 07:19 PM
I don't really have any experience when it comes to harness racing, but will look into it, thank you.

Afleet
01-21-2018, 10:35 PM

Ed Colletti, jr

onefast99
01-22-2018, 09:10 AM
To race at parx and Penn? Harness or t-bred? If T-bred Penny Pearce stabled at parx very good and won't let the vet run the stable!

Brogan
01-22-2018, 09:23 AM
Tim Shaw

onefast99
01-22-2018, 11:05 AM
Tim Shaw
Yankee fan all around good guy.

njhorsedrew
01-22-2018, 11:18 AM
To race at parx and Penn? Harness or t-bred? If T-bred Penny Pearce stabled at parx very good and won't let the vet run the stable!

Yeah I have come across her name...guess I should have specified Tbred, and yes looking for the Parx/Penn/Delaware circuit. Looking to make my first claim and need a trainer.

Thank you everyone for your input.

onefast99
01-22-2018, 11:58 AM
Yeah I have come across her name...guess I should have specified Tbred, and yes looking for the Parx/Penn/Delaware circuit. Looking to make my first claim and need a trainer.

Thank you everyone for your input.I will PM you with the contact for Penny. She runs and stables from Parx but can use West Hampton training facility if need be as well. Don't forget you are in jail with your claim at Penn and Parx please check the claiming rules for each track.

green80
01-22-2018, 11:59 AM
Can't help you on that circuit but I will say that the most important thing that you can do getting into the racing business is select the right trainer for you. One that will give you the amount of control that you want and keep expenses to a minimum. If you asked owners what their training bills are some will have double or triple the expenses of others. Vet bills could kill you with the wrong guy, I've seen some owners with vet bills exceeding the training bill. Some trainers will work some type of partnership deal with you if you are claiming the right horse where they get a percentage of the horse in exchange for a reduced training bill. Selecting the right trainer will be as important as claiming the right horse.

onefast99
01-22-2018, 12:07 PM
Can't help you on that circuit but I will say that the most important thing that you can do getting into the racing business is select the right trainer for you. One that will give you the amount of control that you want and keep expenses to a minimum. If you asked owners what their training bills are some will have double or triple the expenses of others. Vet bills could kill you with the wrong guy, I've seen some owners with vet bills exceeding the training bill. Some trainers will work some type of partnership deal with you if you are claiming the right horse where they get a percentage of the horse in exchange for a reduced training bill. Selecting the right trainer will be as important as claiming the right horse.
Exactly...that is why you need a trainer with a good eye that can see a tendon or ankle before you claim it and spend $1500 a month on a vet bill alone. Since the poster didn't state their desired claiming price Parx offers some decent claimers in the $7500 range while the purse is about $21,000. Be cautious of the NY guys sending them over on big drops.

Bluto Blutarsky
01-22-2018, 08:35 PM
Brogan-Tim Shaw is a really good guy. His win percentage wasn`t even 5% in 2017. That stinks.

Heed the words of green80-you need a trainer you can trust BIG TIME.
Vet bills can and will destroy if you select a trainer who lets the vet have his way around the barn.

njhorsedrew
01-22-2018, 09:32 PM
Brogan-Tim Shaw is a really good guy. His win percentage wasn`t even 5% in 2017. That stinks.

Vet bills can and will destroy if you select a trainer who lets the vet have his way around the barn.

Is there any kind of website or database where I can get in contact with these trainers or what? Thanks everyone for your feedback.

reckless
01-22-2018, 11:19 PM
Yankee fan all around good guy.

And I was once told that in a previous life, Tim Shaw is a doctor! A cardiologist to boot.

onefast99
01-23-2018, 11:28 AM

As I stated he is a good guy, would I use him, no. But in this business you get what you pay for. Seeing it is this potential owners first go round he may be better suited with a mid level trainer. That is a 12% win trainer. Tim is under that as he races a lot of very cheap claimers. The better trainers(win % wise)are based in Florida or NY for the winter and those guys WP are the 20% range and going to cost $85 to $100 a day. He can always find one of the shady characters that seem to hang out at Parx and Penn. His best bet wait until MP opens and go with a solid trainer.

green80
01-23-2018, 08:29 PM
Is there any kind of website or database where I can get in contact with these trainers or what? Thanks everyone for your feedback.

call the racing office at whatever track that trainer is stabled at. Or if he just runs horses there they still should have his phone #.

green80
01-23-2018, 08:59 PM
[QUOTE=onefast99;2265100]As I stated he is a good guy, would I use him, no. But in this business you get what you pay for. Seeing it is this potential owners first go round he may be better suited with a mid level trainer. That is a 12% win trainer. Tim is under that as he races a lot of very cheap claimers. The better trainers(win % wise)are based in Florida or NY for the winter and those guys WP are the 20% range and going to ct seem to hang out at Parx and Penn. His best bet wait until MP opens and go with a solid trainer.[/QUOTE

These 20% trainers are 20% trainers because of the stock they have. You give these same horses to one of those 12% trainers and they then are 20%.
trainers. Just as a top jockey gets the best mounts, a top trainer gets the best horses at the track (usually) and therefore the good win %, and you are going to pay for it. I wouldn't put a lot of weight on their win % without looking at other factors. Talk to several, find somebody you would like to work with and let your gut tell you from there.

BrentT
01-25-2018, 09:28 PM

Just call the Track and get connected to the stable gate, leave them a message and they should page the trainer for you.

onefast99
01-27-2018, 09:31 AM
These 20% trainers are 20% trainers because of the stock they have. You give these same horses to one of those 12% trainers and they then are 20%.
trainers. Just as a top jockey gets the best mounts, a top trainer gets the best horses at the track (usually) and therefore the good win %, and you are going to pay for it. I wouldn't put a lot of weight on their win % without looking at other factors. Talk to several, find somebody you would like to work with and let your gut tell you from there.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. Look at Kelly Breen, he has a lot less George Hall horses than he had before, he has a lot of lower level claimers and still maintains a nice win % at MP. If you think the trainer doesn't make a difference they do, a smart trainer places a 5k claimer in a 5k race(conditions apply)a dumb trainer places a 5k claimer in a race based on what the ownership desires and most likely has no shot to win at a level where the horse won't be competitive. Why do you think there are 4 trainers at every track that are miles ahead of the next group of trainers, it is because they know what they are doing with the stock they have. No different than any other profession!