PDA

View Full Version : Tom Brady's Thumb

Teach
01-21-2018, 08:30 AM
It's less than 7 hours before the start of today's Patriots v. Jags game. First, the weather: Very pleasant here in Eastern Massachusetts (I live 30 miles north of "The Razor"). Light winds. Balmy temperatures (upper 40s).

Yet, the title of this post is the overriding issue: What impact will Tom Brady's thumb injury have on the outcome of this game? I think we'll only know once the game begins and the Patriots are on offense.

If you're a quarterback, your thumb - your throwing-hand thumb - is critical. First, you have to take snaps from center. The football is exchanged with a good deal of force. Can that cause a football to be mishandled, i.e. fumbled? Will Brady opt for "The Shotgun"? It would certainly be easier to take a snap from say three or four yards away than under center.

Yet, I believe the paramount issue is: How effectively can Tom Brady deliver the football? When you throw a pass, especially in professional football, it must be done with precision. Does Brady's thumb-injury compromise his ability to get the job done. Brady's a proud man. I'm sure he believes he can make the throws. Will he be able?

I wonder if the Patriots organization, right about now, is having second thoughts about dealing away Jimmy Garoppolo to San Francisco.

pandy
01-21-2018, 11:19 AM
The line was down to 7 last night, now back to 7.5. Brady will spread the ball around to slot receivers, running backs, and of course, the big tight end.

thaskalos
01-21-2018, 11:40 AM
I foresee a woefully-subpar performance by Brady...resulting in New England losing by 4. And Belichick will spend most of the game staring daggers at the owner's box.

Fred Mertz
01-21-2018, 12:06 PM
If they deflate the footballs by about 4 psi then All American Tom will be able to get a more solid grip on the ball and better accuracy. :headbanger:

burnsy
01-21-2018, 12:59 PM
he throws a lot of short passes which means he has to flick his wrist and control the ball with his thumb. stitches days later don't really hurt much. When i was a kid i got cut in mishaps, very accident prone and clumsy. It was only sore for a day or two. The more important thing is where exactly the cut is. Are they against the ball when he holds it? Or are they stretching when he grips the ball (that hurts)? No one can see because its being hidden. It could be nothing but if it is any hindrance Jacksonville has to find out by adding all the pressure they can ring up. Want to find out if its a problem? Force him to do everything in a hurry.....can't let him sit back comfortably. If Jacksonville cant pressure him, they are doomed anyway.

barahona44
01-21-2018, 02:02 PM
If the injury affects Brady so that the Patriots lose, it will forever be known in team lore as "The Tom Thumb Game". :)

lamboguy
01-21-2018, 02:16 PM
if Brady can't throw the ball he won't play. whoever the backup is will do just fine.

Inner Dirt
01-21-2018, 02:42 PM
Can someone explain the hype surrounding the Jacksonville defense, they gave up 40 points twice recently.

burnsy
01-21-2018, 04:11 PM
Can someone explain the hype surrounding the Jacksonville defense, they gave up 40 points twice recently.

I can, look at New England's defense......lol. They better stop something soon. Didn't bet this one but I saw this shaky defense all year when they played a half way decent team. I can sniff out a phony defense from a mile away. That's how this game is played.