PDA

View Full Version : Meadowlands: "Survival" Sat., Jan. 20

Teach
01-20-2018, 03:10 PM
Race One:

3 WALKS OF LIFE appears to fall under the heading of equine dissociative identity. This Cambest-bred gelding has shown flashes of brilliance; yet he’s also been very disappointing, as in his recent 2nd place finish at Freehold as a 6/5 shot evidences. Which Walks of Life do we get? If we get the right one, the speedy one, this 8-year old gelding can tower over this field. Vinny Ginsburg of the Fusco-Ginsburg famiglia/mishpocheh is in the bike. Frankly, I’m still waiting for Vinny to have a breakout year. If this gelding runs back to his December 14 “Big M” race, it’ll be “Katy-Bar-The-Door”. If. A big if. Others: 1, 4, 6.

Race Two:

1 UPFRONT BILLY has faced better. He needed his last, a 3rd place finish. “The Captain,” Corey Callahan, reprises the ride. This gelding’s rail starting-post should put him in a good position, somewhere mid-pack, to launch a closing bid. Mark Ford trains this Andover Hall-bred gelding. Others: 3, 6, 5

Race Three:

1 IDEAL SHADOW. Can “The Kentucky Wildcat,” Corey Callahan, make it two-straight (assuming he wins the previous race)? I think he has a good chance. I was impressed with this gelding’s 10-hole effort in his previous race. This gelding blazed out in :27-flat first quarter and was just nipped at the wire as the 2-1 chalk. This 7-year old gelding now get post-position relief. Callahan can put this gelding “on the engine” or sit “a garden spot” trip. A sit-and-pounce. Others: 6, 5, 8.

Race Four:

1 IT REALLY MATTERS also gets some post-position relief; that should allow the “Orange Crush,” Andy Miller, to hustle this Andover Hall-bred gelding out for the lead. This gelding needed his last after a month-long hiatus. This 7-year old gelding has faced better; this modicum of class relief could very well lead to a picture-taking session in The Meadowlands winner’s circle. Others: 5, 3, 6, 8

Race Five:

10 SOHO WALL STREET A ships in from “Down Under” to try his Standardbred talents in the U.S.A. A personal preference: I’m partial to Aussie imports. That was some qualifying mile. This Four Starzzz Shark-bred came back in an eye-popping :26-flat. Wow! I suppose I can say that he just might need a pari-mutuel race under his belt; yet, I’m so very impressed with his qualifier that I don’t believe that’s the case. If this 6-year old reprises that qualifier, there should be no one in this field who can prevent him from visiting the winner’s circle. Still, (you see, I’m a little ambivalent), to play the devil’s advocate, that 10-post can be imposing. “The Orange Crush” for the Australian-born Ross Croghan. Others: 1, 3, 5.

Race Six:

7 UF DRAGON’S QUEEN needed her last after a month off. She was most competitive in that one (I like 2nd time off a layoff) and if she builds on that race and takes a step forward she can surprise this field…at a price! A-Nap reprises the drive for trainer Mark Ford. Others: 9, 1, 2.

Race Seven:

6 TULLOW N gets my nod. This Mach Three-bred 7-year old gelding needed that “freshener” down in tight-turned Freehold Raceway. That had to have tightened him up some off this gelding’s one-month layoff. This gelding now returns to “The Big M’s” wide, sweeping turns. Bill “You Da Mann” is in the sulky for trainer Al Annunziata. Others: 7, 5, 4

Race Eight:

8 BAD BOY BRAD A ships down the Saw Mill River Pkwy, a.k.a., Yonkers Raceway to try his hand across the Hudson River in “The Garden State”. I’m intrigued. This Righteous Hanover-bred bay gelding can mount a charge. “The Harvard Man” (that’s Harvard, IL), Pat Berry, is in the bike for Scott D. I’m always looking for value; this might be the pace? Others 6, 1, 9.

Race Nine:

1 ROCKIN RAMBARAN gets post position relief and the services of Jim Marohn, Jr. (He had a good day at Freehold, Sat. aft.). This Camluck-bred bay gelding is taking a class-drop from his efforts at Phl. That should hold him in good stead against this group. Yes, there’s been a lengthy layoff, and yes, that’s a concern. Only his trainer and connections know for sure how ready this gelding is for his return to the races. I’m predicating this pick on the basis that he’s reasonably fit. I would certainly “buy insurance”. Others: 2, 4, 3

Race Ten:

3 FLEN N EM N gets my nod in this one. First, the 8-hole at Yonkers is bacio della morte. So, you can toss out this horse’s last race. Prior to that, this Falcon Seelster-bred won – albeit narrowly - in this company. “The Captain,” Corey Callahan, is in the bike. Others: 8, 7, 9