PDA

View Full Version : Is Mountaineer Park Really "Crooked"?

Thomas Roulston
01-15-2018, 11:16 AM
An old diagram from the good old days of the American Racing Manual seems to suggest that it is; that is to say, the upper stretch is closer to the grandstand/apron than the finish line. The diagram also suggests that the oval itself is asymmetrical; that is, egg-shaped.

Is either or both of these things true?

ldiatone
01-15-2018, 01:01 PM
An old diagram from the good old days of the American Racing Manual seems to suggest that it is; that is to say, the upper stretch is closer to the grandstand/apron than the finish line. The diagram also suggests that the oval itself is asymmetrical; that is, egg-shaped.

Is either or both of these things true?

egg-shaped. yes

cj
01-15-2018, 01:02 PM
egg-shaped. yes

I do think the stretch is parallel to the grandstand though, right? Been a LONG time since I've been there. It might have been Waterford at the time.

Tom
01-15-2018, 01:20 PM
Mountaineer Park

mountainman
01-15-2018, 01:43 PM
Urban legend says the first turn was scrunched to avoid paying higher taxes, back in 1951, on a full-mile oval.

The pear-shaped config makes it nearly impossible to get hung wide early and win. BELIEVE IT OR NOT, i once profiled an ENTIRE YEAR that saw just one horse make every pole a winner from the 9 OR 10 post at one mile OR at 1 70.

Elliott Sidewater
01-15-2018, 03:20 PM
Mountaineer Park is not the only crooked racetrack in North America.

ldiatone
01-15-2018, 03:33 PM
I do think the stretch is parallel to the grandstand though, right? Been a LONG time since I've been there. It might have been Waterford at the time.

yes. and i do think its kinda egg shape. in the drf track drawing at the top shows a egg shape track. it is hard to tell standing in the apron.

ldiatone
01-15-2018, 03:34 PM
Mountaineer Park

mayb not:confused:

Thomas Roulston
01-16-2018, 10:16 AM
Calder/Gulfstream Park West's turf course also appears to be off-center, even though its main track is not.