PDA

View Full Version : Yavapai Downs to Race Again

upthecreek
01-11-2018, 04:34 PM
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the-biz/yavapai-downs-purchased-phoenix-based-jacor-corey-johnsen-part-ownership-group/#.WlfSf_Tbf8o.twitter

Afleet
01-11-2018, 05:02 PM
never seen a race there. Is it a mile oval? Is there a turf course?

cj
01-11-2018, 05:07 PM
never seen a race there. Is it a mile oval? Is there a turf course?

If memory serves it is a mile track, and I'm positive it didn't have a turf course.

GMB@BP
01-11-2018, 05:16 PM
1 mile, no turf....never understood the deal when it closed unless it was just some slot machine gamble that never paid off.

cj
01-11-2018, 05:20 PM
1 mile, no turf....never understood the deal when it closed unless it was just some slot machine gamble that never paid off.

Kentucky Downs owner part of the group buying it so that has to be a good thing I'd think.

upthecreek
01-11-2018, 06:01 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/partnership-buys-yavapai-downs-goal-reopen-2018

Afleet
01-11-2018, 06:23 PM
Kentucky Downs owner part of the group buying it so that has to be a good thing I'd think.

agree; historical racing machines on the way also ?

Afleet
01-11-2018, 06:25 PM
this is the kind of track I would like to go to. I went to a track in Prescott when I was a kid, bull ring and the jockeys were sitting on top of the tote board on lawn chairs between races -the good ole' days;)

HalvOnHorseracing
01-11-2018, 06:37 PM

I doubt it. The tribes pretty much control gambling in Arizona and I suspect they wouldn't let TuP install gumball machines.

GMB@BP
01-11-2018, 08:27 PM

Indians run Arizona from a gambling perspective, that will only happen should NJ win that court case and they see more money ditching the current cash cow.

Thomas Roulston
01-15-2018, 10:14 AM
I've got a friend who lives nearby. He's a retired Yavapai County sheriff's deputy. Maybe he'll get a job there working security - and in 2010 Yavapai Downs observed a unique purse distribution format: 55-X-X-X-X-1 each, the X's being variable based on the size of the field.

garyscpa
01-15-2018, 03:40 PM
I've got a friend who lives nearby. He's a retired Yavapai County sheriff's deputy. Maybe he'll get a job there working security - and in 2010 Yavapai Downs observed a unique purse distribution format: 55-X-X-X-X-1 each, the X's being variable based on the size of the field.

Yep, they used to run every aviation of $1,500 claiming. The horses had to run every week to make enough money to eat.

garyscpa
01-15-2018, 04:07 PM
Yep, they used to run every aviation of $1,500 claiming. The horses had to run every week to make enough money to eat.

Variation, not aviation.

johnhannibalsmith
01-15-2018, 04:12 PM
Yep, they used to run every aviation of $1,500 claiming. ...

$2,500
;)

deathandgravity
01-15-2018, 07:36 PM
Need to re-open Prescott Downs!

upthecreek
01-16-2018, 06:16 AM
If I remember ,at one time, Greg "Boomer" Wry was the track announcer.??

Run Nicholas Run
01-16-2018, 10:24 AM
If I remember ,at one time, Greg "Boomer" Wry was the track announcer.??

boomer was a good track announcer, then he had
something go amiss with management.
From flag fall to last call.

When Boomer left was the beginning of the end for yavapai.

Run Nicholas Run
01-16-2018, 10:26 AM
if they do race hopefully well see Monica Ortega
saddling her horses in her tight jeans and high heels

Run Nicholas Run
01-16-2018, 10:27 AM
first race meet if 60 days or longer over/ under winners ridden by don lee french
is at 1 1/2 and under is -170

Thomas Roulston
01-16-2018, 10:43 AM
Yavapai Downs is Prescott Downs. The track changed its name.

And no one would ever call Turf Paradise "a real gem" - except maybe Bernard Rome, if you remember who he was! :D

wisconsin
01-16-2018, 10:45 AM

Well, no, it's a different plant in a different location altogether.

johnhannibalsmith
01-16-2018, 11:18 AM

And no one would ever call Turf Paradise "a real gem" - except maybe Bernard Rome, if you remember who he was! :D

I'll call Turf Paradise a gem. It kinda looks like shit right now, but it can be one of the most beautiful places there ever was or will be when it all comes together just right.

And as wisconsin mentioned, Prescott and Yavapai are completely different facilities.

GMB@BP
01-16-2018, 12:05 PM

Not sure if your post was literal but they are like 10 miles apart...not even in the same technical city (Prescott versus Prescott Valley).

Run Nicholas Run
01-16-2018, 12:45 PM
when coming from the west , exit i-40 and its still
45 mins south east to yavapai dump.

upthecreek
07-11-2018, 07:05 AM
https://nationalhbpa.com/arizona-downs-to-begin-simulcast-wagering-july-13/

craigbraddick
07-11-2018, 08:13 AM
Hi People!

I will be on hand for opening weekend at the new Arizona Downs - welcoming people, old friends and new, hopefully assisting some new players along the way. I am also one of the admins on the Facebook page and am really looking forward to this.

Tom Auther and his organization together with GM Ann McGovern have been working tremendously hard and work continues to renovate the grandstand. I was there on July 4 and work was still going on.

The facility has always had the potential to be a lot more than it was and there is now a winning team in place. The opening of our first OTB is very exciting and we look forward again to becoming part of the Tri-City community.

If you are coming by on Friday or Saturday, please stop and say "Hello!"

Regards.

GMB@BP
07-11-2018, 12:39 PM
Hi People!

I will be on hand for opening weekend at the new Arizona Downs - welcoming people, old friends and new, hopefully assisting some new players along the way. I am also one of the admins on the Facebook page and am really looking forward to this.

Tom Auther and his organization together with GM Ann McGovern have been working tremendously hard and work continues to renovate the grandstand. I was there on July 4 and work was still going on.

The facility has always had the potential to be a lot more than it was and there is now a winning team in place. The opening of our first OTB is very exciting and we look forward again to becoming part of the Tri-City community.

Regards.

Best of luck, I agree the potential was more than they were getting out of it.

Prescott can be very nice during the summer, though a tad hot.

Very tough for me to bet on any Arizona races, the takeout rates are the highest in the country.

Zman179
08-01-2018, 07:28 PM
Hi People!

Regards.

You’ve paid some serious dues, Craig. Much respect from me and best of luck on the meet.

highnote
08-02-2018, 12:02 AM
Very tough for me to bet on any Arizona races, the takeout rates are the highest in the country.

Rebates!

It will great to see Yavapai racing again. The old management team invited the Horseplayers Association of N. A. there to have a meeting about what might be done to save the track from closing. They gave it a good shot, but I assume the cost of running the plant were too great.

The same summer I visited Yavapai I also visited and spoke with some of the people running KY Downs. That is a great racetrack. Probably my favorite track in N.A. from an aesthetic point of view.

It's good to see KY Downs involved. It looks like they have some good people involved. I hope they can make it work.

GMB@BP
08-02-2018, 12:06 AM
Rebates!

they never appear in my TVG account, or my expressbet account.

highnote
08-02-2018, 12:24 AM
they never appear in my TVG account, or my expressbet account.

You need a betting provider who offers them.

GMB@BP
08-02-2018, 01:30 AM
You need a betting provider who offers them.

I only think there are 3 in arizona who allow betting.

v j stauffer
08-02-2018, 02:41 AM
Hi People!

Regards.

Are you going to call the races?

highnote
08-02-2018, 10:49 AM
I only think there are 3 in arizona who allow betting.

Does az only allow in state residents to use in state adw's?

GMB@BP
08-02-2018, 11:02 AM
Does az only allow in state residents to use in state adw's?

just the approved ones that applied through the state, and think that is TVG and xpressbet (and their offshoots like drfbets), there may be on other.

the platform that applies have to allow for phone betting as you are not allowed to use the internet.

and while that really sucks, they almost pulled the plug completely 6 months ago.

highnote
08-02-2018, 11:18 AM
just the approved ones that applied through the state, and think that is TVG and xpressbet (and their offshoots like drfbets), there may be on other.

the platform that applies have to allow for phone betting as you are not allowed to use the internet.

and while that really sucks, they almost pulled the plug completely 6 months ago.

We had the same situation in my state. I complained to our attorney general about it. He told me in an email not to worry about it. He said I would not be arrested -- even though he was the one that ordered xpressbet, racing channel, and philly phone bet to close accounts if residents in my state.

So now I bet wherever I can get an account with rebates.

Xoressbet, racing channel, philly phone bet, and twinspires are out.

spiketoo
08-02-2018, 11:22 AM

So this didn't happen then?

Turf Paradise in Phoenix, Ariz., is pulling the plug on telephone wagering less than three years after the outdated service went into effect.

A statement on the Turf Paradise website said: “Effective January 9, 2018, all Phone Betting Accounts for Arizona residents will no longer be active. This includes phone betting accounts with TVG, Twin Spires, Xpressbet and Turf Paradise Bets. Contact your Phone Bet Provider to get the return of your money.”...

With Phone betting, less money was being wagered on-track and thru our OTB system. Thus, less money was available for purses and our business.

In the three years we have conducted Phone Betting, approximately $3.6 million has been taken from the Arizona horse racing industry.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/sorry-wrong-number-turf-paradise-ending-telephone-wagering/

highnote
08-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Not quite as of Jan 9, 2018....

Turf Paradise in Phoenix, Ariz., is pulling the plug on telephone wagering less than three years after the outdated service went into effect.

A statement on the Turf Paradise website said: “Effective January 9, 2018, all Phone Betting Accounts for Arizona residents will no longer be active. This includes phone betting accounts with TVG, Twin Spires, Xpressbet and Turf Paradise Bets. Contact your Phone Bet Provider to get the return of your money.”...

With Phone betting, less money was being wagered on-track and thru our OTB system. Thus, less money was available for purses and our business.

In the three years we have conducted Phone Betting, approximately $3.6 million has been taken from the Arizona horse racing industry.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/sorry-wrong-number-turf-paradise-ending-telephone-wagering/

Turf Paradise was pulling the same crap on the old Yavapai racetrack. It was their way of stifling competition. This is one of the topics that came up when Jeff Platt of HANA and I met with Yavapai management.

GMB@BP
08-02-2018, 11:51 AM
So this didn't happen then?

It happened right up to the deadline day, in fact two of my accounts were closed and checks were mailed.

highnote
08-02-2018, 11:59 AM
It happened right up to the deadline day, in fact two of my accounts were closed and checks were mailed.

Turf Paradise not being able to run an ADW reminds me of what Mayor Bloomberg of NYC said about NYOTB -- they are the only legal bookie that doesn't know how to make money.

GMB@BP
08-02-2018, 12:04 PM
Turf Paradise not being able to run an ADW reminds me of what Mayor Bloomberg of NYC said about NYOTB -- they are the only legal bookie that doesn't know how to make money.

oh they want to, the Indians in the state made what little they are allowed to do very difficult. they pretty much run this states gambling.

highnote
08-02-2018, 12:11 PM
oh they want to, the Indians in the state made what little they are allowed to do very difficult. they pretty much run this states gambling.

The Indians probably pay off politicians with campaign financing. This is one of the downsides of allowing corporations to fund political campaigns. Democracy suffers. The financiers get what they want at the expense of the citizens.

Horseplayers, tracks, and horsemen need to be on the same side and lobby for their rights. This was one of the things I had hoped HANA would facilitate.

craigbraddick
08-02-2018, 03:57 PM
We have a lot of great things going on at the new Arizona Downs right now!

The OTB is doing very well. Last week we had our first free to enter handicapping competition with cash prizes and we will have another one this week. All our welcome. First prize is $100.00!

Every weekend I am in the OTB meeting horseplayers and teaching newbies how to handicap. We have all the top tracks available to watch and wager on.

We also do a weekly podcast "The Starting Gate" on a Thursday night about goings on at AZD looking forward to this weekends racing. I produce and present that.

We also do "Arizona Downs Live" on Facebook every Saturday and Sunday and I preview some races with guest handicappers. I also update the FB page.

Over the next few months we will be opening more OTB's as we ramp up for opening day in 2019! Also, over the next few months the Grandstand renovation will be completed with new eating options and we are already planning non racing events to use the facility in different ways.

Dennis Moore one of the best track people in the world, responsible for renovations at Del Mar, Santa Anita and the Breeders Cup tracks will be responsible for the complete renovation of the racing surface! Truly working with the best in the business!

We have had tremendous support from the local community who want Arizona Downs to succeed and the reaction and support from the horsemen of Arizona has been fantastic.

Above all, we want to offer a customer service experience that is better, more enjoyable and more friendly than the competition and we are working hard to do that! In the coming months we will also be unveiling lots of new things improvements. So stay tuned!

It is a great experience to be contributing too and I am very thankful to the new owners and think we have the one of the best GM's in the country in Ann McGovern whose experience and expertise combined with the team she is assembling cannot wait to bring live racing back in May 2019!

And of course I would be happy to answer any questions on here!

I would invite those of you on FB to please follow us: www.facebook.com/arizonadownsracetrack

Cheers!

Craig.

highnote
08-02-2018, 04:04 PM

The OTB is doing very well. Last week we had our first free to enter handicapping competition with cash prizes and we will have another one this week. All our welcome. First prize is $100.00!

Every weekend I am in the OTB meeting horseplayers and teaching newbies how to handicap. We have all the top tracks available to watch and wager on.

We also do a weekly podcast "The Starting Gate" on a Thursday night about goings on at AZD looking forward to this weekends racing. I produce and present that.

We also do "Arizona Downs Live" on Facebook every Saturday and Sunday and I preview some races with guest handicappers. I also update the FB page.

Over the next few months we will be opening more OTB's as we ramp up for opening day in 2019! Also, over the next few months the Grandstand renovation will be completed with new eating options and we are already planning non racing events to use the facility in different ways.

Dennis Moore one of the best track people in the world, responsible for renovations at Del Mar, Santa Anita and the Breeders Cup tracks will be responsible for the complete renovation of the racing surface! Truly working with the best in the business!

We have had tremendous support from the local community who want Arizona Downs to succeed and the reaction and support from the horsemen of Arizona has been fantastic.

Above all, we want to offer a customer service experience that is better, more enjoyable and more friendly than the competition and we are working hard to do that! In the coming months we will also be unveiling lots of new things improvements. So stay tuned!

It is a great experience to be contributing too and I am very thankful to the new owners and think we have the one of the best GM's in the country in Ann McGovern whose experience and expertise combined with the team she is assembling cannot wait to bring live racing back in May 2019!

I would invite those of you on FB to please follow us: www.facebook.com/arizonadownsracetrack

Cheers!

Craig.

Terrific! Good luck!

spiketoo
08-02-2018, 04:12 PM
Well done Craig. May make a drive to beat the heat this weekend. I'll buy (but don't let that get around OK?).

craigbraddick
08-02-2018, 05:20 PM
Well done Craig. May make a drive to beat the heat this weekend. I'll buy (but don't let that get around OK?).

Hi Spiketoo!

Would love to see and meet you at AZD this weekend. Please let me know if you are coming up as I would like to introduce you to the team here and give you a tour of what is going on as well as playing the ponies!

Regards,

v j stauffer
08-03-2018, 02:35 AM

Cheers!

Craig.

Everything sounds great Craig. Who will your announcer be?

highnote
08-03-2018, 03:20 AM

Cheers!

Craig.

Yavapai will be the only U.S. track I will wager on for now. The former management team built up a lifetime of goodwill by asking HANA to brainstorm solutions to keep them afloat.

I hope all HANA members will spread the word and encourage other members and non-members to bet your races.

Good luck!

craigbraddick
08-03-2018, 07:58 AM
Yavapai will be the only U.S. track I will wager on for now. The former management team built up a lifetime of goodwill by asking HANA to brainstorm solutions to keep them afloat.

I hope all HANA members will spread the word and encourage other members and non-members to bet your races.

Good luck!

Highnote!

Thank you for your comments. That was actually myself who did that. I very much value what horseplayers have to say.

Regards,

craigbraddick
08-03-2018, 07:59 AM
Everything sounds great Craig. Who will your announcer be?

Management will make that announcement when they are ready to do so.

jimmyb
08-03-2018, 09:07 AM

I would invite those of you on FB to please follow us: www.facebook.com/arizonadownsracetrack (http://www.facebook.com/arizonadownsracetrack)

Cheers!

Craig.

Great stuff, Craig. How are those Persimmons doing?

craigbraddick
08-03-2018, 10:39 AM
Great stuff, Craig. How are those Persimmons doing?

60 hour plus work weeks are not leaving much time for golf right now, Jimmy! They are definitely being neglected but still it is great to be working in racing again!

highnote
08-03-2018, 02:48 PM
Highnote!

Thank you for your comments. That was actually myself who did that. I very much value what horseplayers have to say.

Regards,

It has been so long ago that I can't remember the names of the people we met with, but I do know we were treated very well. I am glad to see Yavapai back in business!

v j stauffer
08-04-2018, 03:40 AM

Traditionally that's proven to be the best time.

anotherCAfan
08-05-2018, 04:12 PM
This is really good to hear. Hoping he still stays involved with the SoCal racing circuit, but glad he is helping you all out.

There will be someone retiring later this year and moving to that part of Arizona who management should consider at least reaching out to, to gauge his interest. :)

craigbraddick
08-06-2018, 11:49 AM
This is really good to hear. Hoping he still stays involved with the SoCal racing circuit, but glad he is helping you all out.

There will be someone retiring later this year and moving to that part of Arizona who management should consider at least reaching out to, to gauge his interest. :)

I am in regular contact with that person. He is very supportive of my future at Arizona Downs.

I am very happy to be here, loving the opportunities I have and am working towards a better future for myself, Arizona Downs and racing in Arizona. I invite everyone here to come and visit and see the ongoing transformation for yourself.

We had our busiest ever day on Saturday. Our handicapping competition was down to the wire, won by just $2.50 and on Sunday, I taught a simple handicapping method to 6 brand new players...they hit the first 3 exactas as Del Mar, got the early P3 on an $8 ticket and the winner in the 4th race with the info I taught them. One of them said: "Craig we were so in the dark and now you've opened a brand new world to us."

As you may have seen on FB, I am also featuring in several videos about Arizona Downs and what we have to offer. I am also doing weekly podcast. Each video seems to be getting a good amount of views - I also post other things on there on a daily basis and try to respond to everyone who leaves a message.

Exciting times ahead!

Track Collector
08-06-2018, 12:11 PM
I believe the track used to run in the early part of the week so as to have a chance to not compete against the big boys in the simulcast market. Would not be surprised if they run Mon-Tue or Tue-Wed.

I also think it is a good idea to have the KD folks involved. I don't think they would be there if they did not believe there was a long-term future for the new AD.

As with a lot of places, I hope they are enough horses to make field sizes decent. I recall that racing was almost exclusively TB. Think they might run a QH race or two?

Best wishes Craig and to the new Arizona Downs!

Kevroc
08-06-2018, 05:13 PM
This is great Craig!

Following the fb page.

Would be nice if they ran under the lights!

craigbraddick
08-06-2018, 09:58 PM
I believe the track used to run in the early part of the week so as to have a chance to not compete against the big boys in the simulcast market. Would not be surprised if they run Mon-Tue or Tue-Wed.

I also think it is a good idea to have the KD folks involved. I don't think they would be there if they did not believe there was a long-term future for the new AD.

As with a lot of places, I hope they are enough horses to make field sizes decent. I recall that racing was almost exclusively TB. Think they might run a QH race or two?

Best wishes Craig and to the new Arizona Downs!

Track Collector:

Thank you very much. All the new owners are great people I had the chance on our opening weekend to meet Mr. Johnsen from Kentucky Downs. He is a very nice man and his expertise is invaluable. Just a small example, I am organizing our weekly handicapping contests and the folks at KD designed a spreadsheet for me to use based on the one they use, did a conference call with me to make sure I could navigate it in "real time" and how best to market it with our horseplayers. I am very glad to be learning from such people.

If you check our FB page, you will see I regularly do videos from the track on what is going on or make up videos. I think I can honestly say our FB page is busier than many tracks who are actually running live racing right now!

It will be a mixed meet. Obviously depends on the horse population but based on my Rillito experiences this spring where I am also the Announcer I would say on an 8 race card, 2-3 races would be QH races. You know before I called my first QH race at Arapahoe back in 2009 I had never seen a QH race in person! With some education from a lot of horsemen and people like Ed Burgart, I have grown to love QH racing a great deal. And its history here in Arizona means it is always a very popular attraction.

Days of the week we will have live racing on have not been set yet but when they do I will be sure to update you.

If I recall, you are based on the East Coast, right? If you want to come out for live racing next year, please do let me know as it would be wonderful to meet you.

Regards,

craigbraddick
08-06-2018, 10:39 PM
This is great Craig!

Following the fb page.

Would be nice if they ran under the lights!

Hi Kevroc!

Thanks for following our FB page. Please let me know if you have any comments or constructive criticism on the page as I am constantly trying to make it as fan friendly as possible!

Not sure in the short term if running under lights is part of the plan. We are very lucky to be far cooler in summer time than Phoenix and with Dennis Moore in charge of renovating the track surface - I think we will have one of the premier track surfaces in the country!

It may interest you to know at the moment we have a one turn six furlong chute, we are talking to the county who own the land around the track about extending it out so we can have one turn seven furlong races. I know many people are looking forward to that.

Regards,

v j stauffer
08-06-2018, 11:01 PM
Track Collector:

Thank you very much. All the new owners are great people I had the chance on our opening weekend to meet Mr. Johnsen from Kentucky Downs. He is a very nice man and his expertise is invaluable. Just a small example, I am organizing our weekly handicapping contests and the folks at KD designed a spreadsheet for me to use based on the one they use, did a conference call with me to make sure I could navigate it in "real time" and how best to market it with our horseplayers. I am very glad to be learning from such people.

If you check our FB page, you will see I regularly do videos from the track on what is going on or make up videos. I think I can honestly say our FB page is busier than many tracks who are actually running live racing right now!

It will be a mixed meet. Obviously depends on the horse population but based on my Rillito experiences this spring where I am also the Announcer I would say on an 8 race card, 2-3 races would be QH races. You know before I called my first QH race at Arapahoe back in 2009 I had never seen a QH race in person! With some education from a lot of horsemen and people like Ed Burgart, I have grown to love QH racing a great deal. And its history here in Arizona means it is always a very popular attraction.

Days of the week we will have live racing on have not been set yet but when they do I will be sure to update you.

If I recall, you are based on the East Coast, right? If you want to come out for live racing next year, please do let me know as it would be wonderful to meet you.

Regards,

Craig, are you going to apply for the announcer's job?

craigbraddick
08-07-2018, 10:27 AM
Craig, are you going to apply for the announcer's job?

Thanks for your avid interest, but my primary focus is on doing everything possible to build the Arizona Downs brand as we gear up for our live race meet. I am very grateful to have the support of the owners and management. Other announcements will be made in due course.

Regards,

ReplayRandall
08-07-2018, 10:55 AM
Thanks for your avid interest, but my primary focus is on doing everything possible to build the Arizona Downs brand as we gear up for our live race meet. I am very grateful to have the support of the owners and management. Other announcements will be made in due course.

Regards,

So, Boomer must already have the job locked up....

craigbraddick
08-09-2018, 02:07 AM
Hi People!

If you are in AZ this weekend please join us at Arizona Downs OTB on Saturday! It is a great chance to beat the heat, the high will only be 84 degrees and we have all the top tracks from around the country to watch and wager on.

We have a free to enter handicapping contest on races 5 through 12 from Arlington. 1st prize is $100 cash. 2nd prize is $50 and 3rd prize is $25. The first two contests have gone down to the wire and everyone, regardless of experience is very welcome to enter.

Please follow us at facebook.com/arizonadownsracetrack

I shall also be doing several Facebook Live broadcasts throughout the day. If you would like a shout out or have a pick to share please tweet them on Saturday to @callstheraces. I would love to hear from you.

Many thanks,

Craig.

craigbraddick
08-09-2018, 02:27 AM
One last thing I wanted to add...if you want to come out this weekend, we also have some great food and drink options from Chef Don and I would be happy to give you a tour of the property and show you what we are all working on as we ramp up for our live 2019 race meet.

Please also follow us on Facebook, we would very much appreciate it!

A really good friend said to me tonight: "Many people see Arizona Downs through your eyes." - What an awesome privilege and responsibility that is. So proud to be part of the winning team at Arizona Downs.

Cheers,

Craig.

Peter Berry
08-09-2018, 10:37 PM
You certainly deserve the announcing job there, Craig. You have stuck with them through thick and thin. I hope you are rewarded for your efforts to keep the track in the forefront.

craigbraddick
08-27-2018, 04:31 PM
So, I have some news for racing fans in Arizona!

Yesterday, it was my pleasure to announce on our Facebook page, the opening of Arizona Downs first three offsite OTB's! Please check out our Facebook page, www.facebook.com/arizonadownsracetrack

Pending racing commission approval in September we will be opening three new locations at the beginning of October.

Firstly, The Museum Club, 3404 Historic East Route 66, Flagstaff, AZ 86004. As well as two Phoenix locations, Bull Shooters Sports Bar and Grill, 3337 W Peoria Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85029 and Connolly's Sports Grill, 2605 W Carefree Hwy, Phoenix, AZ 85085.

The OTB at the Arizona Downs racetrack has been open since July 13 and it has been a great experience to bring horseplayers in there and they have seen and embraced the better customer service, the better atmosphere, the handicapping contests and just the way we take care of people properly.

Profits from the OTB's will go into funding purses for our live race meet that starts on Memorial Day weekend next year!

Work is also continuing at a great pace on the complete renovation of the second, third and fourth floor of the grandstand. Stay tuned for more updates.

We want to be better than the competition and treat people the right way. So, we all invite you to one of our new locations and if you would like to come and visit us at Arizona Downs in beautiful Prescott Valley, AZ, I would be happy to welcome you all, give a tour and explain all we are up too!

Many thanks!

spiketoo
08-27-2018, 08:29 PM
So Craig, how do your OTBs work in conjunction with TPs OTBs? Are yours wholly managed by AZ Downs? Are they in competition to TPs? Will you be limited to the number of races you simul b/t on-track simul and off-track OTB like TP is (e.g they only show SAR starting with race 3 or summin at the off-track OTB).

Looks better and better bud.

Thomas Roulston
09-01-2018, 06:01 PM
I have a friend who is a retired Yavapai County sheriff's deputy who lives in nearby Yarnell. He lost his home in that wildfire they had up there in 2013. Fortunately the home was insured and it has been completely rebuilt.

GMB@BP
09-01-2018, 06:19 PM
I have a friend who is a retired Yavapai County sheriff's deputy who lives in nearby Yarnell. He lost his home in that wildfire they had up there in 2013. Fortunately the home was insured and it has been completely rebuilt.

some last a lot more, terrible tragedy.

Thomas Roulston
09-01-2018, 06:46 PM
1 mile, no turf...

No turf course = no big time racing at any track in the 21st Century.

What I'd like to see them do is add a super-wide 6 1/2-furlong turf course. This produces turns that are 825 feet long, same as the Aqueduct inner Turf course (Hawthorne's turf course has 806-foot-long turns; at the Fair Grounds they're 814 feet). With a total width of 137 feet (assuming a "no-man's land" of 20 feet between the inner rail on the dirt and the outer rail on the turf), a semi-permanent rail, set 73 feet out from the "zero" (6 1/2-furlong) position, results in an "outer turf course" of the same 9/10ths of a mile (7 furlongs plus 132 feet) circumference that Golden Gate Fields has, and Santa Anita used to have. Turf distances in this configuration include 4 furlongs and 4 1/2 furlongs (both from "zero," or the rail up 10 feet, etc.), 5 furlongs (rail at 52 feet or 73 feet), 7 furlongs, 7 1/2 furlongs, and 1 mile (rail at 0 or 10 feet), 1 mile 70 yards and 1 1/16 miles (rail up at 52 or 73 feet), 1 1/4 miles, 1 5/16 miles and 1 3/8 miles (rail at 0 or 10 feet), and 1 7/16 miles and 1 1/2 miles (rail at 52 or 73 feet).