PDA

View Full Version : sams club..

ldiatone
01-11-2018, 04:31 PM
Walmart this morning: We're giving everyone pay raises and bonuses!

Walmart this afternoon: We're also closing a slew of Sam's Club stores and laying off thousands

boxcar
01-11-2018, 04:39 PM
Walmart this morning: We're giving everyone pay raises and bonuses!

Walmart this afternoon: We're also closing a slew of Sam's Club stores and laying off thousands

Probably not closing nearly as many as Sears will be this year.

But as far as "wholesale clubs" go, Sam's is running a distant third in a three horse race down in my neck of the woods. I'm actually surprised they're not closing more.

barahona44
01-11-2018, 04:40 PM
The Trump giveth and the Trump taketh away.:)

boxcar
01-11-2018, 04:47 PM

Nah...this has been in the works for a while. Wally World should never have gotten into the wholesale club biz.

ldiatone
01-11-2018, 05:05 PM

http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/11/news/companies/trump-carrier-plant-layoffs/index.html?sr=twCNN011118companies0449PMStory

boxcar
01-11-2018, 05:08 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/11/news/companies/trump-carrier-plant-layoffs/index.html?sr=twCNN011118companies0449PMStory

I didn't know Trump was running Carrier. :rolleyes:

barahona44
01-11-2018, 05:16 PM
When credit is taken for the good news, responsibility must also be taken for the not so good news.Not that I'm holding my breath or anything.

upthecreek
01-11-2018, 06:08 PM
When credit is taken for the good news, responsibility must also be taken for the not so good news.Not that I'm holding my breath or anything.
How bout the company taking responsibility for poor planning/management and poor business decisions? Businesses laid off and failed under Obama, but never grew.
No matter how many GREAT things Trump does, he'll never be given credit.A poll today said 49℅ give credit to Obama for the surge in the economy----all morons, and they're allowed to vote
7 MORE YEARS 7 MORE YEARS!!

Clocker
01-11-2018, 06:12 PM
I didn't know Trump was running Carrier. :rolleyes:
He wasn't, but that didn't stop him from taking credit when there was good news there.

boxcar
01-11-2018, 06:52 PM

Not necessarily. Trump was a key, proactive player in the tax cuts -- but not so much with calling the business shots at Carrier.

boxcar
01-11-2018, 06:55 PM
He wasn't, but that didn't stop him from taking credit when there was good news there.

Do you recall what that good news was? Was the good news that no one at Carrier would lose their jobs or was the good news that Carrier's operation stay stateside?

And what is the worse news: That Carrier move and many hundreds of Americans lose their jobs or Carrier stays here and a couple of hundred lose theirs?

JustRalph
01-11-2018, 07:14 PM

They are all getting 60 days severance or a position at Walmart or another Sam’s Club

I knew it was coming from our local rumor mill in the chamber of commerce. They are getting their asses kicked by Costco

ldiatone
01-11-2018, 07:26 PM
and now S**thole country!:eek:

ldiatone
01-11-2018, 07:31 PM
and now S**thole country!:eek:
from twitter and bloomberg

More
Trump asked senators why the U.S. accepts immigrants from “shithole countries” like Haiti, El Salvador and African nations

JustRalph
01-11-2018, 07:51 PM
from twitter and bloomberg

More
Trump asked senators why the U.S. accepts immigrants from “shithole countries” like Haiti, El Salvador and African nations

Love it! The same question has been rattling around in people’s heads for decades :lol:

zico20
01-11-2018, 07:58 PM

This country has never gone a year without business's going under or laying off people. Now I guess every layoff or store closing will be Trumps fault.:bang: Were you saying the same thing when Clinton was president and people lost their jobs, that is was Clinton's fault.

boxcar
01-11-2018, 08:27 PM
Love it! The same question has been rattling around in people’s heads for decades :lol:

I wonder if Trump was asking rhetorically or because he doesn't know why.

barahona44
01-11-2018, 08:30 PM
This country has never gone a year without business's going under or laying off people. Now I guess every layoff or store closing will be Trumps fault.:bang: Were you saying the same thing when Clinton was president and people lost their jobs, that is was Clinton's fault.

Nope, my point is is that Presidents don't lay people off OR hire them.Every time companies hire someone or expand their business , the story here is that it's Trump's "winning".Well fine, then people being laid off or company's contracting must be Trump "losing", n'est-ce pas?.

The answer of course is that it's neither.All economies and businesses run in cycles, sometimes because of government policies and sometimes in spite of government policies.If it's time for a downturn, government intervention can be helpful in delaying the inevitable, but the inevitable is still inevitable.

As for the Clinton years, I recall the greatest peacetime expansion in American history and an actual surplus. "Those were the days, my freind, we thought they'd never end...".But they do and they did.

Not that Bubba would ever get a milligram of credit for the good times.

JustRalph
01-11-2018, 10:46 PM
Nope, my point is is that Presidents don't lay people off OR hire them.Every time companies hire someone or expand their business , the story here is that it's Trump's "winning".Well fine, then people being laid off or company's contracting must be Trump "losing", n'est-ce pas?.

The answer of course is that it's neither.All economies and businesses run in cycles, sometimes because of government policies and sometimes in spite of government policies.If it's time for a downturn, government intervention can be helpful in delaying the inevitable, but the inevitable is still inevitable.

As for the Clinton years, I recall the greatest peacetime expansion in American history and an actual surplus. "Those were the days, my freind, we thought they'd never end...".But they do and they did.

Not that Bubba would ever get a milligram of credit for the good times.

Yeah! It’s just a coincidence what’s been happening the last month. The tax bill and the overall feeling that our current government is pro business, has nothing to do with it.

fast4522
01-11-2018, 11:05 PM
Yeah! It’s just a coincidence what’s been happening the last month. The tax bill and the overall feeling that our current government is pro business, has nothing to do with it.

The internals at Sams Club are not that complex, locations that were denied sales of gasoline and did not fit the revenue profile were slated to close before Trump got elected. The closing stores are unrelated, the stores were profitable but not against profile of their stores top performers. Revenue from their stores that sell gasoline is a much better profile, in the end they will open new stores at different locations with community's that allow gasoline before they even considered reopening a store they closed.

ldiatone
01-12-2018, 01:18 AM

now you really think its ok to call another country a shithole??/ as a man in office? any where sen gov rep it's ok to use that word? when US has homeless-drug addicts on opiates-people are gun downed from a hotel? please, NO person needs to use that rhetoric like that to describe a country. as one person once stated "its a piece of crap.....but it is there piece of crap". or one mans trash is another mans treasure

boxcar
01-12-2018, 07:48 AM
now you really think its ok to call another country a shithole??/ as a man in office? any where sen gov rep it's ok to use that word? when US has homeless-drug addicts on opiates-people are gun downed from a hotel? please, NO person needs to use that rhetoric like that to describe a country. as one person once stated "its a piece of crap.....but it is there piece of crap". or one mans trash is another mans treasure

Our drug addicts and murders are not the result of an oppressive government regime. My wild and crazy guess is that this is why people from third world countries, who know all about oppressive government, want to come here -- and will even risk their life to do that.

reckless
01-12-2018, 09:30 AM
Do you recall what that good news was? Was the good news that no one at Carrier would lose their jobs or was the good news that Carrier's operation stay stateside?

And what is the worse news: That Carrier move and many hundreds of Americans lose their jobs or Carrier stays here and a couple of hundred lose theirs?

You see, boxcar, it really has become a running joke with all these anti-Trumpers on here and in the media. We were told two things both before and after the election:

(1) Trump is stupid and he won't be able to get companies to (a) stay in the USA, or (b), return companies to the USA from abroad.

Despite a 40+-year career of success in a myriad of businesses and industries worldwide, Trump didn't know anything about everything!

(2) Now, just one year later, we see 100s of businesses have decided to return to the USA -- this is despite the expert analysis of our resident business and trade know-it-alls -- plus those companies that have decided not to leave the USA. Trump is still stupid, according to these geniuses.

Then there is the Tax Bill of 2017. An earlier post had a screen shot from CNBC listing all those companies. What I noticed is that the majority of them listed were not uber major super large companies. It is the smaller, private high-taxed companies that benefit from the Trump is stupid Tax Bill, in addition to individuals who will get 1-of-3 benefits, or all of them: a raise/bonus, lower personal taxes, a job.

There are even more significant results thanks to Trump is stupid, his election is stupid; his supporters are stupid, and his stupid policies and lack of leadership: the huge and historic $7 trillion gain in the equity market since Trump became president; the unemployment rate falling, especially in black and hispanic communities; manufacturing jobs rising, capital investment accelerating, plus business confidence exploding.

Not bad thanks from someone so stupid who promised this country economic growth, jobs, jobs, jobs, and a tax break! And lest not forget a conservative on the Supreme Court, the repealing of the evil ObamaCare law, and his dismantling of the anti-America Barry Obama regulations and agenda.

All things tremendously positive for the USA and its patriots, but not really so good according to the anti-Trumpters, who know better simply because... they tell us so often how stupid Trump is!

Oh yeah, finally, something else that was uttered in these halls more than a few times when knocking Trump's successes -- all this would have happened anyway because Trump is stupid :lol::lol:

Tom
01-12-2018, 09:31 AM
Raises are due to Trump's Tax Cuts.
Store closures are due to Obama's over-regulations.

reckless
01-12-2018, 09:49 PM
The Sam's Club stores in my area have become real --could I say it?-- shit holes these past years. Old and run-down looking, bad store management, messy place.

It really doesn't surprise me that there will be store closings and layoffs considering what's been happening in my local area.

I now shop primarily at BJs Warehouse, which is cleaner, brighter and a wee bit closer to where I live. Some days BJs is packed solid although they are smaller stores than your typical Costco which may explain that to some extent.

lamboguy
01-12-2018, 10:08 PM
in my area there is a BJ's and a Costco 1/4 of a mile apart. both do well. there is a Restaraunt Depot 5 miles down the street that does even better.

Lemon Drop Husker
01-12-2018, 10:15 PM
Costco finally opened in my neck of woods in Lincoln, NE.

I was a near decade long Sam's club member. Switched in a heartbeat and will never go back.

forced89
01-13-2018, 08:11 AM
Walmart extended memberships 3 months for those using closed Sam's Clubs. If they had any class they would have given those people free Memberships at Costco...

horses4courses
01-15-2018, 08:49 PM
The wheels will come off.
It's just a matter of when, and how badly we crash.

In the meantime, the Trump inner circle will flourish financially.
They are screwing average Americans - it just hasn't hit the fan yet.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTe37f4U0AAb-p3.jpg

davew
01-15-2018, 09:52 PM
Walmart / SamsClub has always been a sleazy company. They like that global crap and low wages. The first woman on their board was non other Bill Clintons wife...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/20/us/politics/20walmart.html

zico20
01-15-2018, 09:53 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTe37f4U0AAb-p3.jpg

If Hillary was president the workers would not have gotten squat. Maybe you should have been wise and invested in Walmart and some of that 18 billion would have been yours.

Tom
01-15-2018, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by horses4courses View Post

fast4522
01-16-2018, 06:57 PM
in my area there is a BJ's and a Costco 1/4 of a mile apart. both do well. there is a Restaraunt Depot 5 miles down the street that does even better.

We were Sams Club members for 20 years, I joined when they built one across the street from Walmart in Hudson, NH. The last 5 years I was a member things often were cheaper at other stores we shopped at, there was always something or a few things that we went back for but hey when something is selling for less you go there. We gave up our membership over a year ago and have no regrets, I think others have done the same for the same reason.