PDA

View Full Version : Orin Hatch retiring after 40 years

lamboguy
01-04-2018, 04:09 AM
he has been my idea of a truly great senator for many years. i also loved Ted Kennedy.

speculation has it that Mitt Romney will be a cakewalk to get his seat. i hope not.

barahona44
01-04-2018, 07:58 AM
The Mittster is a hero in the Beehive State after just about single handedly saving the Salt Lake City Olympics in 2002 after the corruption scandals almost derailed them.As the old saying goes,its his job if he wants it.
The only thing that might hurt him would be carpetbagger charges but he moved to Utah from Massachusetts in 2015.

Ocala Mike
01-04-2018, 10:24 AM
He would never be considered a "carpetbagger" - to the LDS flock he returned "home." http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142493

Tom
01-04-2018, 10:37 AM
34 years too late.
This is a disgusting example of why government doesn't work.
Singe term limits, period.
No matter who you are.

Politicians, like fruit, rot after a short period of time.

MutuelClerk
01-04-2018, 10:39 AM
he has been my idea of a truly great senator for many years. i also loved Ted Kennedy.

speculation has it that Mitt Romney will be a cakewalk to get his seat. i hope not.

Mary

Jo

Kopechne

boxcar
01-04-2018, 12:27 PM
Mary

Jo

Kopechne

I believe there is a move out about Mary Jo and Teddy. And, of course, now that's he's dead, Hollywood was free to portray the ugly truth about him -- so, I've heard.

Tom
01-04-2018, 04:40 PM
Saw III?

Clocker
01-04-2018, 04:53 PM
34 years too late.
This is a disgusting example of why government doesn't work.
Singe term limits, period.
No matter who you are.

Politicians, like fruit, rot after a short period of time.

Experience can be a good thing, and it takes a while in office to learn the ropes, build up leadership, etc. And 90% of voters would say that term limits are a good thing, except for my guy.

Term limits contradict freedom of choice for voters. Term limits or not, voters are going to keep sending virtually the same people to Washington. The fix is to change the structure of Congress itself.

What is needed is to go back to the structure of Congress after the founding. Back then, being a member was a part time job. Congress met in late winter for a few months, got their work done, and went home. What the hail does this or any other Congress do in a year that they could do, or not do, in 2-3 months and then go home to a productive real job? And then the members would not need their huge staffs of $100K a year flunkies.

thaskalos
01-04-2018, 05:34 PM
What is needed is to go back to the structure of Congress after the founding. Back then, being a member was a part time job. Congress met in late winter for a few months, got their work done, and went home. What the hail does this or any other Congress do in a year that they could do, or not do, in 2-3 months and then go home to a productive real job? And then the members would not need their huge staffs of $100K a year flunkies.

Yes...being a member of Congress used to be a part-time job. But the Congressmen liked it so much...they voted for it to become a full-time position.

HalvOnHorseracing
01-04-2018, 06:04 PM

In the primary I think Gov. Gary Herbert and Rep. Mia Love could give Romney a tussle.

Clocker
01-04-2018, 06:07 PM
Yes...being a member of Congress used to be a part-time job. But the Congressmen liked it so much...

...because they weren't qualified enough to hold down a real job.

reckless
01-04-2018, 07:05 PM
Yes...being a member of Congress used to be a part-time job. But the Congressmen liked it so much...they voted for it to become a full-time position.

Seems like so very long ago when being a congressman was truly 'public service' ...

But then it became a 'profession' ... and that was way before it became what it is today: a racket!

Ocala Mike
01-04-2018, 07:12 PM
It's not only a "profession" now, it has the trappings of the world's oldest profession. I have more respect for those ladies than any congress critter (either party). They give you what they promise and always leave you satisfied!

_______
01-04-2018, 07:28 PM
In the primary I think Gov. Gary Herbert and Rep. Mia Love could give Romney a tussle.

There is no primary. Utah is one of the few remaining states that nominates candidates through a convention process. Sometime this spring, people will gather at caucuses to select delegates who will attend the statewide convention to select a candidate.

This is a process that would nominally favor a grassroots candidate with a devoted base and the ability to organize. Itís why Michael Bennett is no longer in the Senate and Mike Lee is.

But before you get too excited about rubbing Mitt Romneyís nose in another defeat, you should look at the ground where this will occur.

Trump finished a distant third in the Republican contest in 2016 which isnít a shock given his complete disinterest in organization. But he also received less than 50% of the vote in the general with Evan McMullen drawing off enough votes to keep him from the normal Republican supermajority in any statewide contest.

And Mitt Romney has polled around 70% in the statewide polls available. Itís a solidly Republican State. But itís anything but a Donald Trump state.

If Romney runs, as seems likely, heís as close to a shoo-in as exists.

reckless
01-04-2018, 07:43 PM
Mitt Romney may be the most popular politician in the history of Utah. I believe he is a shoo-in if he does run for Hatch's seat.

I think Romney will be better served if Michael Bennett also decides he wants to be the GOP Senate candidate as well. Why? Because Romney will be able to then run to the right of Bennett, hopefully offsetting any early criticism that Romney is only running to be an Establishment thorn in Trump's side.

Being a thorn isn't the reason why Romney wants to be Senator -- he wants to be President in 2020 or 2024, whatever deems easier at the time.

barahona44
01-05-2018, 12:42 AM
Being a thorn isn't the reason why Romney wants to be Senator -- he wants to be President in 2020 or 2024, whatever deems easier at the time.

Well, if at first you don't succeed...

davew
01-05-2018, 03:06 AM
Mitt Romney may be the most popular politician in the history of Utah. I believe he is a shoo-in if he does run for Hatch's seat.

I think Romney will be better served if Michael Bennett also decides he wants to be the GOP Senate candidate as well. Why? Because Romney will be able to then run to the right of Bennett, hopefully offsetting any early criticism that Romney is only running to be an Establishment thorn in Trump's side.

Why would getting elected senator help a presidential run? Gets sworn in and starts campaigning for president? what about the senator duties?

The last couple times I have seen this had crappy results.

Tom
01-05-2018, 10:35 AM
...because they weren't qualified enough to hold down a real job.

None of them are.
So they have us work and take a cut of our pay.