PDA

View Full Version : College Bowl Games

Marshall Bennett
12-20-2017, 07:09 PM
Anyone else have the college bowl spirit? I realize its over-inflated and not what it once was, but still beats watching basketball.

Tonight : Louisiana Tech +4.5

NJ Stinks
12-20-2017, 11:39 PM
Yeah, Marshall, I'm watching because I had Louisiana Tech and over 70 tonight.

So I had to watch to the bitter end! :(

But last night and tonight were just horrible games. If these early games don't get better soon, ESPN may just decide to save their money.

barahona44
12-21-2017, 12:22 AM
Wyoming is playing Central Michigan Friday in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl (is there an Unknown Idaho potato ? :)).A chance to see Wyoming's Josh Allen ,considered the third best QB in the 2018 NFL draft after Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen and probably a top ten pick. Wyoming doesn't play nationally very often on television.

Also the Arizona Bowl next weekend will feature New Mexico State, the D-1 program that has gone the longest without a bowl appearance, 1960, which would be 57 years.I was in first grade and Dwight Eisenhower was president.

ElKabong
12-21-2017, 12:43 AM
Take Mizzou minus 3 vs Texas. Detailed this in the college football thread.

kingfin66
12-21-2017, 01:05 AM
Wyoming is playing Central Michigan Friday in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl (is there an Unknown Idaho potato ? :)).A chance to see Wyoming's Josh Allen ,considered the third best QB in the 2018 NFL draft after Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen and probably a top ten pick. Wyoming doesn't play nationally very often on television.

Also the Arizona Bowl next weekend will feature New Mexico State, the D-1 program that has gone the longest without a bowl appearance, 1960, which would be 57 years.I was in first grade and Dwight Eisenhower was president.

He may actually be the best QB in the draft, but does not get the same hype as Mayfield, Darnold and Rosen. You could probably put Lamar Jackson in that group as well. This will be a really good QB class. Do you think Allen will come out this year, or wait until next year when the pool isn't quite as deep?

barahona44
12-21-2017, 01:38 AM
He may actually be the best QB in the draft, but does not get the same hype as Mayfield, Darnold and Rosen. You could probably put Lamar Jackson in that group as well. This will be a really good QB class. Do you think Allen will come out this year, or wait until next year when the pool isn't quite as deep?

I think he comes out.First round draft choices have a rookie scale and slipping even a few notches can cost a player millions .Now if he waits a year he could go Number one overall but he could also slip the way Matt Linehart did when he probably have been Top 2 or 3 after his junior year but returned to USC his senior year.Although his numbers were still good, he went to number 10 as the teams started seeing his flaws and the consensus was that USC system made Leinart better than he really was which turned out to be an on the money evaluation.
And there's always the injury factor. I think the Cardinals would be a good fit,especially if Carson Palmer comes back for another year, let Allen sit, watch and learn before being thrown in the fray.

green80
12-21-2017, 09:18 AM
Anyone else have the college bowl spirit? I realize its over-inflated and not what it once was, but still beats watching basketball.

Tonight : Louisiana Tech +4.5

OK, one in a row

Lemon Drop Husker
12-21-2017, 10:00 AM

Josh Allen actually had a horrible year. At one point in time, he was #1 on Mel and McShay's draft boards. He might not be a 1st rounder now.

I'm not sold on any of them to draft in the 1st round if it were my choice as a GM.

I can buy a little into Darnold, but you better have a lot of good parts around him. The rest are crap as far as I'm concerned.

Mayfield: Rarely a straight drop and throw QB. Too many plays made when running around which won't happen in the NFL. Can be accurate. Height is a serious issue. Save the Drew Brees comparisons. He has played awful against any defense with a pulse.

Darnold: Obviously needs great people around him. Can make a livelihood of bad decisions and throws on a bad team. Great arm though. More than good accuracy, and just feels like an NFL QB.

Rosen: Outside of a miracle year from Goff, how many slim statured QBs are there in the NFL that play every week, and are productive and win games? Yes, cat has your tongue over the past 30 years or more. His whole career is more tidal than it is about being consistent and winning. I would never draft this guy. Undraftable in my opinion and being touted as a possible overall #1. I have little doubt the Browns have this guy pegged.

Jackson: Simply not smart enough to play QB in the NFL. Sure, he could have a Vince Young type season when he enters the league, but when people figure him out, he has no other options. His Wonderlic score will be brutal. This isn't the 2nd coming of Michael Vick. IF I draft him, it would be more in a Tyreek Hill at KC type of role. But that won't happen, and somebody will go all in on this guy at QB. 3 years from now, I'll get him in some trade for cheap, and maybe win more games with him in the slot.

Inner Dirt
12-21-2017, 11:29 AM
the consensus was that USC system made Leinart better than he really was which turned out to be an on the money evaluation.

That is most always the case with USC quarterbacks. Who is the best one in the NFL the last 40 years, Carson Palmer? USC seems to always get 5 star recruits on offense, from the O-line to the skill positions. Kind of hard not to look good when you have 5 seconds to throw to guys open by 5 yards.

ElKabong
12-21-2017, 11:51 AM

Allen is an nfl caliber qb, no doubt. I liked him the first time I saw him. (Enjoyed those late night mwc games.)

Mayfield may be on a roster for a year or two, the rah rah stuff from a small qb with limited abilities doesn't set well on Sunday's (he's a very very good college qb for sure).

Funny how luck plays a big part of a qb' success in the nfl. It really depends on the fit of the qb and the team / coach / franchise. If Bert Jones from the 70s had a better break he'd have been a hall of gamer. Same for a lot of guys that had talent but we're in offenses that didn't fit their skills.... Or were saddled with poor coaching and poor schemes.

Marshall Bennett
12-22-2017, 04:16 PM
C. Michigan +3

jay68802
12-22-2017, 04:31 PM
Take Nebraska and give the points....never mind that's next year.:bang: Just angry because I have to make different vacation plans this year.

Inner Dirt
12-22-2017, 04:44 PM
Every year I count how many bowl games still remain on free broadcast TV, this year there are only 3 left.

Marshall Bennett
12-22-2017, 07:54 PM
C. Michigan +3
Oops, thought this was a prime time game, had already started.
Whatever. :)

Marshall Bennett
12-23-2017, 09:11 AM
Texas Tech +3
Army +7

Tom
12-23-2017, 10:16 AM
Best time of the year for football. Even the blowouts are better than most nfl games, even playoffs.

College has a spirit to it that is long gone by pro time.
New Year's Even and New Year's Day were always the Breeder's Cup of football.
Already loving it!

barahona44
12-23-2017, 01:02 PM
I saw Josh Allen, the Wyoming quarterback considered a Top 5 potential draft choice in 2018,play for the first time yesterday in the Idaho Potato Bowl and I was both impressed and concerned with his NFL future as a QB.First, the positives: this kid, as they like to say in the pros, can make all the throws.He threw one of the best deep balls on a TD that I have ever seen at any level, the ball dropped into the reciever's arms like a basketball through a hoop and the receiver never had to break stride.Now one pass does not a quarterback make, but he also threw a few fastballs in tight spaces AND some some passes with a nice feather touch.Allen also seems pretty nimble around the pocket, given his linebacker build..He also showed good makeup, as he could have easily skipped this game without it affecting his draft status negatively (he had missed the previous 2 games with a minor shoulder injury) but chose to play instead.I think it helped his draft status in a positive manner.

Now for the negatives.Allen's a big guy (6-5,240, the comps are inevitably Big Ben) but he seems to have RG III/Andrew Luck/Carson Wentz Syndrome in that he throws his body around when running and even throws blocks.Now that may be an admirable trait to make that type of sacrifice for the team, but it doesn't bode well for long term NFL health.He going to have to learn to slide/go out of bounds/ throw it away if he doesn't want to spend time on IR.Another concern is accuracy, he only has a 56% career completion rate and the TD/INT rate could be better.It's possible he may throw more deep balls than the 70% dink-and-dunkers but that has to be better.He's also all through high school, JC and Wyoming played against lower levels of competition than the SEC/Big 12 types so the NFL is a huge step.This guy is a classic boom or bust type.Time will tell.

Tom
12-23-2017, 04:06 PM
See, what I like about college is that I have no idea who most any of them are.
I like the game and have no interest at all in the players. They come and go, the game remains.

Marshall Bennett
12-23-2017, 06:18 PM
I like the game and have no interest at all in the players. They come and go, the game remains.
College football has an excitement level the NFL will never have.

Marshall Bennett
12-24-2017, 01:42 PM
UH -2.5

Marshall Bennett
12-26-2017, 10:18 AM
Utah -6.5

N. Illinois +5.5

Kansas St. -6

Lemon Drop Husker
12-26-2017, 08:47 PM

I'm a college football junkie. I know who all these guys are.

I'd take UCLA and the points. A bit worried about Rosen's focus, but he is playing, so he will look to cement himself as a possible #1 overall pick for the Browns.

Lemon Drop Husker
12-26-2017, 08:52 PM
I'm a college football junkie. I know who all these guys are.

I'd take UCLA and the points. A bit worried about Rosen's focus, but he is playing, so he will look to cement himself as a possible #1 overall pick for the Browns.

I guess Rosen is out. Hard to believe Vegas has had a line on this one all week. Pass.

Marshall Bennett
12-27-2017, 12:00 PM
Florida St. -14

Iowa -2.5

Missouri -2.5

NJ Stinks
12-28-2017, 12:36 AM
First Texas runs a double reverse when up 10 and running out the clock. Then they rough the passer and target the receiver on the same play with 90 seconds left on the clock.

Who can root for such garbage? :rolleyes:

Marshall Bennett
12-28-2017, 12:55 PM
Navy -2

Oklahoma St. -6

Stanford +3

Mich. St. -2

Marshall Bennett
12-29-2017, 12:20 PM
Texas A&M +4
NC St. -6.5
Northwestern -9
Utah St. -4.5
Ohio St. -7.5

Tom
12-29-2017, 03:26 PM
Cotton Bowl tonight - been looking forward to this one.
Got my pizza, wings, and beer waiting! :p

ElKabong
12-29-2017, 04:24 PM
First Texas runs a double reverse when up 10 and running out the clock. Then they rough the passer and target the receiver on the same play with 90 seconds left on the clock.

Who can root for such garbage? :rolleyes:

Two ways to look at it.

One is, Missouri players were talking trash face to face in the days leading up to the game. Did the (mentally challenged) horns down thing the day before the game to some players and fans, then repeated the nonsense in pre game warmups. Taunting the opponent, then gets the deserved rewards. Works out in the end.

The other is, take the high road. That's the way things have been handled in the past. I like the second option myself, but I also prefer opponents that don't act (mentally challenged) but that's just me

burnsy
12-29-2017, 04:33 PM
I don't bet much college football at all. But, I like Georgia -2 vs. Oklahoma. I'll take the SEC over the Big 12 any day minus 2. Heisman, Smeisman, I gotta see them win one of these to believe it.

ElKabong
12-29-2017, 04:41 PM
I don't bet much college football at all. But, I like Georgia -2 vs. Oklahoma. I'll take the SEC over the Big 12 any day minus 2. Heisman, Smeisman, I gotta see them win one of these to believe it.

Unfortunately my one and only bowl bet was an sec team over a big 12 team... The big 12 team won

This season I think the sec was a bit over rated. I just now saw the Texas Mizzou game (was on vacation on south padre), Texas was the more physical team. In all honesty most b12 teams were more physical than Missouri was vs us... The sec has a rep for being a physical conference and for the most part it is, but this year they're not as dominant imho

ElKabong
12-29-2017, 04:43 PM

Too bad it's at jerryworld, the weather here is perfect for football. Mid 30s and a little bite in the air. Should be fun to watch.

Marshall Bennett
12-29-2017, 05:29 PM
I'm not betting on any of these bowl games, just having some fun.

ElKabong
12-29-2017, 05:33 PM
I'm not betting on any of these bowl games, just having some fun.

Great strategy betting wise. These teams have been idle for about thirty days, a lot of teams either don't get up for games or they're rusty.

Other than the semis and finals, these games don't mean much. When some seniors decide to sit instead of play, it tells you a lot about the insignificance of it.

NJ Stinks
12-30-2017, 02:03 AM
Other than the semis and finals, these games don't mean much. When some seniors decide to sit instead of play, it tells you a lot about the insignificance of it.

I'm not sure what is worse, some hot shot who bails on his teammates before bowl day or the coach who leaves for greener pastures before his team's bowl game.

One glorious exception was the Arizona Bowl today. New Mexico State and Utah State played like it was 1960 again. (New Mexico State last played in a bowl in 1960 - the opponent was Utah State.) When New Mexico State won in overtime I thought their fans storming the field might try yanking down a goal post!

One must be of a certain age to remember such a thing! :blush:

:)

Tom
12-30-2017, 09:44 AM
I'm not sure what is worse, some hot shot who bails on his teammates before bowl day or the coach who leaves for greener pastures before his team's bowl game.

One glorious exception was the Arizona Bowl today. New Mexico State and Utah State played like it was 1960 again. (New Mexico State last played in a bowl in 1960 - the opponent was Utah State.) When New Mexico State won in overtime I thought their fans storming the field might try yanking down a goal post!

THIS.

Those who bail out show their total lack of team commitment. Typical NFL over-paid jerks. All about them....:puke:

Agree about the Arizona Bowl - great game.
And about that "certain age".....Shhhhhhhh! :eek:

Marshall Bennett
12-30-2017, 12:06 PM
Miss. St. +7

Iowa St. +3.5

Penn St. -3

Wisconsin -6

JustRalph
12-30-2017, 04:16 PM

Turned into a snoozer

Thank God The JT Barrett era is over.

Can you imagine his stats if could throw accurately past 25 yards?

Here’s his freshmen picture

He will be selling cars in Columbus in five years

jocko699
12-30-2017, 10:05 PM
There has been some missed calls against Miami tonight but he just went nuts right before half. Kind of funny but he shouldn't have grabbed the official. I thought that was an automatic ejection.

ElKabong
12-30-2017, 11:23 PM
The big ten is proving what I believed thru mid season. It's easily the best conference top to bottom. I may be mistaken but they're undefeated at the moment, and wiscy is up by ten vs Miami late in the game

State Penn, Ohio state, mich state, Purdue, Iowa, northwestern have all won their bowl games. No losses that I'm aware of

Surprisingly the big 12 has done well, four wins of six bowl games.

The SEC has taken it on the chin, lost their first three bowl games before miss state beat Louisville. Lot of games left for them the next two days, but obviously the sec has had a down year (for them), the depth just isn't there. Interestingly, the first four sec bowl teams played were spread offenses, all have shown to be less physical than their bowl opponent(s). It wouldn't surprise me to see UGA vs Alabama in the final, but the gap between the big ten and the sec this year is pretty big in terms of quality of depth.

I'm picking Clemson to win it all. Now that I've jinxed them, I'll just watch and enjoy

barahona44
12-31-2017, 05:36 AM

I'll vote for the coach.These kids sign up to play for a coach and they are left hanging and have to sit out a year if the coach leaves and the players want to follow him or go elsewhere.

And a big :ThmbUp: to New Mexico State for their bowl victory after 57 years without a bowl game, not to mention ending 15 straight losing seasons:eek:.

Marshall Bennett
01-01-2018, 10:20 AM
Michigan -8
Auburn -11
Notre Dame +3
Oklahoma +3
Alabama -3

elysiantraveller
01-01-2018, 03:50 PM
Harbaugh needs to go.

ElKabong
01-01-2018, 06:51 PM
I'm in total shock as to how the sec champs coach is being totally out coached by Lincoln Riley here. Kirby Smart is supposedly a defensive genius, ou puts up 31 before the half. UGA defense looks lost, and sometimes being man handled now and then by ball carriers.

georgia is still in it, but their defense looks lost. Very shocked at this. DBs out of position, LBs taking bad angles. They honestly look dumbfounded. Thirty days to prepare and they look like they thought ou would throw deep every play, the front six / seven / eight are playing ou's running game inside out. Easy pickings so far

jocko699
01-01-2018, 07:15 PM
I'm in total shock as to how the sec champs coach is being totally out coached by Lincoln Riley here. Kirby Smart is supposedly a defensive genius, ou puts up 31 before the half. UGA defense looks lost, and sometimes being man handled now and then by ball carriers.

georgia is still in it, but their defense looks lost. Very shocked at this. DBs out of position, LBs taking bad angles. They honestly look dumbfounded. Thirty days to prepare and they look like they thought ou would throw deep every play, the front six / seven / eight are playing ou's running game inside out. Easy pickings so far

Against most other teams I think the Dogs would be playing better. These Sooners seem to be so fast and mixed with Mayfield's ability to read coverages I am afraid this game may be over.

Either way, Roll Tide!!!!

ElKabong
01-01-2018, 07:34 PM
uga still has a shot, just need to do what they do best. They threw 17 times, ran 11 from what I saw. Played upside down, almost in panic. They need to stick to their knitting and run. Be more physical

ou is the worst / weakest final four team I've seen since the cfp was instituted,, but their coach is out classing kirby.

jocko699
01-01-2018, 07:46 PM
ou is the worst / weakest final four team I've seen since the cfp was instituted

Um no. Michigan State in 15 was a real joke and FSU in 14 wasn't much better.

ElKabong
01-01-2018, 07:53 PM
ah, now there's the Ou defense we've come to know!

all uga needed to do was play their game,, offensively. If they don't shit the bed on defense (again) from here out, they'll be ok.

ElKabong
01-01-2018, 08:02 PM
now that Mayfield has coughed up the lead, it'll be interesting to see if he and Riley can recover. They've really backed up since the half

ElKabong
01-01-2018, 08:57 PM
overtime... Mayfield had a chance on 3rd and 2, missed Anderson who had a step on his guy. Would have been the defining play in regulation with a fg opportunity

jocko699
01-02-2018, 12:24 AM
Either way, Roll Tide!!!!

SEC Championship again!!!!:headbanger::headbanger::headbanger::head banger::lol::lol::lol:

ElKabong
01-02-2018, 12:59 AM
SEC Championship again!!!!:headbanger::headbanger::headbanger::head banger::lol::lol::lol:

A very nice feather in sec's cap... But the rest of the conference went 2-5 in their bowls ;)

onefast99
01-02-2018, 11:44 AM
A very nice feather in sec's cap... But the rest of the conference went 2-5 in their bowls ;)I'm not an SEC fan by any stretch but you mentioned 2-5 in other bowls, some were not even worth watching. The true measuring stick here is Georgia and Alabama get to match up in a bowl game every team aspires to be in once spring practice begins! Since Georgia had the tougher of the two games(my opinion)I would like to see them beat Bama. 35-23 Georgia...

ElKabong
01-02-2018, 12:08 PM
True about getting to the final, but strength from top to bottom has been sec's calling card for the past decade or so. I've been saying this year that's not the case. The big ten is best in terms of depth. It's a quality, competitive conference. That does count for something imho, and it's big

Just watched Lane Kiffen on ESPN / first take, some interesting comments

.. He picked ou to beat UGA, then said he didn't know Oklahoma's defense was that bad as it is. (Not sure how he missed that glaring fact)

... He said ou had a much better chance vs Bama than UGA. UGA plays to Alabama's strength with their power running game. From his time in Alabama, Saban didn't like to prepare vs teams like ou

...he was asked why Alabama was so good, Kiffen replied that every game Alabama plays, Alabama has far better players than those across the field coupled with the coaching they receive. The talent is a cut above and then some (check recruiting rankings the past six years, no one else is close)

.. On the issue and difference of where he is now vs Usc, he said he liked it where he is. Said there might be 80,000 watching a usc game and half the people know the name of the head coach. In the south, an eight year old girl you walk by knows who you are if you coach....(I chuckled. He wasn't being critical in nature, just answered the question)

onefast99
01-02-2018, 02:43 PM
True about getting to the final, but strength from top to bottom has been sec's calling card for the past decade or so. I've been saying this year that's not the case. The big ten is best in terms of depth. It's a quality, competitive conference. That does count for something imho, and it's big

.. He picked ou to beat UGA, then said he didn't know Oklahoma's defense was that bad as it is. (Not sure how he missed that glaring fact)

... He said ou had a much better chance vs Bama than UGA. UGA plays to Alabama's strength with their power running game. From his time in Alabama, Saban didn't like to prepare vs teams like ou

...he was asked why Alabama was so good, Kiffen replied that every game Alabama plays, Alabama has far better players than those across the field coupled with the coaching they receive. The talent is a cut above and then some (check recruiting rankings the past six years, no one else is close)

.. On the issue and difference of where he is now vs Usc, he said he liked it where he is. Said there might be 80,000 watching a usc game and half the people know the name of the head coach. In the south, an eight year old girl you walk by knows who you are if you coach....(I chuckled. He wasn't being critical in nature, just answered the question)
He made some good points. Alabama is a college town where football is the biggest thing and only thing going from spring practice through New Years Day. Their fans travel, they eat, sleep and drink Bama football. Now last year Clemson derailed the mighty Bama train, Georgia knows them and this could be another year Bama feels the pressure of the big game and caves in. Yesterday Clemson felt it, Bama had no pressure on them and once they got the lead the game was well in hand!

Tom
01-02-2018, 03:09 PM
All in all, some very good games. :ThmbUp:

elysiantraveller
01-02-2018, 03:43 PM

The Sooners would have been a tougher match-up for Bama. Bama has a hard time against top flight QB's and that was the difference last year. UGA can certainly win this game but its going to be an ugly in the trenches type game. The Sooners would have had no problem hanging points on them and forcing Bama's offense out of their typical game plan.

reckless
01-03-2018, 10:32 PM
I don't know what the line is but Georgia is a lead-pipe cinch to defeat Alabama next Monday -- so getting points means nothing to me.

The Dawgs will punish Alabama inside and on defense and will simply dominate the game on both sides of the ball.

Just hope that the sports 'journalists' keep pounding the table to remind everyone that Nick Saban has never lost to a former assistant coach of his. That alone will be enough poison taken by those that like Alabama, and it will be their undoing.

I repeat: Georgia is a cinch to win the National Championship on Monday.

ElKabong
01-03-2018, 11:12 PM
ESPN radio stated the opening was Bama minus 6. ( I cannot link to confirm) Knock yourself out.

NJ Stinks
01-04-2018, 01:07 AM
Line is down to 4 and even 3.5 at Westgate Superbook.

Looks like Reckless is playing with both fists! ;)

lamboguy
01-04-2018, 06:46 AM
i saw Bama -4. i don't know anything at all about the college football. but i will listen to the reasoning of Reckless and bet on Georgia. not big money though!

on the pro side i see that the Vikings are the NFC favorites.

Tom
01-09-2018, 09:17 AM
Great end to the season last night!

Marshall Bennett
01-09-2018, 12:21 PM
Good Lord, I fell asleep watching and woke up just as Alabama won. Couldn't believe it. Five national championships in past 9 years ain't so shabby. :)

onefast99
01-11-2018, 10:58 AM
i saw Bama -4. i don't know anything at all about the college football. but i will listen to the reasoning of Reckless and bet on Georgia. not big money though!

on the pro side i see that the Vikings are the NFC favorites.
They are a tough out. The falcons are a tough out as well. Eagles fans are nervous but that is why they play the game...I see Pittsburgh vs. Atlanta...mark it down....lol.

Marshall Bennett
01-11-2018, 12:18 PM
Would love to see Titans / Falcons. :)
Pats should be concerned.