PDA

View Full Version : Charles Cella

ldiatone
12-07-2017, 03:20 PM
Charles Cella The longtime president and chairman of the board of the Oaklawn Jockey Club died Dec. 6 of complications from Parkinson's disease. According to his sons John and Louis Cella, Cella was at home in St. Louis, Mo., surrounded by family. He was 81.

NJ Stinks
12-09-2017, 03:23 AM
I have admired the way Mr. Cella ran Oaklawn Park for a long time.

RIP, Mr. Cella.

clicknow
12-10-2017, 11:34 PM
Still the only family owned racetrack in America I believe. He was the 3rd (or 4th?) generation in the family to run it.

Oaklawn was the first U.S. track to have a glass enclosed grandstand, and also the first track in North America to import full-card races across state lines for simulcasting purposes.

One thing I did not know is that Mr. Cella was a nationally ranked squash player.

A good guy.

exactatom
12-11-2017, 12:31 AM
The way that Mr. Cella ran Oaklawn should be a blueprint for the other racetrack owners in this country.

He truly did care about the fans. He put up his own money to get the best horses to come to Hot Springs. Spent $ 5 million to put up the bonus Smarty Jones won and was happy to write the check as it was good for the sport.

I wish he would have bought Fairmount Park as it was near his hometown of St. Louis and would have been run as a place for the fans.

For those of you that have not been, a Hot springs weekend in March or April is a must for a racing fan.

affirmedny
12-11-2017, 04:25 PM
Still the only family owned racetrack in America I believe. He was the 3rd (or 4th?) generation in the family to run it.

Oaklawn was the first U.S. track to have a glass enclosed grandstand, and also the first track in North America to import full-card races across state lines for simulcasting purposes.

One thing I did not know is that Mr. Cella was a nationally ranked squash player.

A good guy.

Hawthorne is owned by the Carey family I believe.

jballscalls
12-13-2017, 12:26 PM
Hawthorne is owned by the Carey family I believe.

Other ones I was thinking are Tampa Bay Downs and maybe Los Alamitos.

affirmedny
12-13-2017, 04:02 PM
Other ones I was thinking are Tampa Bay Downs and maybe Los Alamitos.

Ellis Park also