PDA

View Full Version : Aqueduct's new Fontana safety rail

dilanesp
12-06-2017, 01:16 AM
I am glad NYRA installed it this year. It's the best rail ever invented, and has protected dozens of jockeys in spills.

But I had remembered that back in the day, after a Cordero spill, NYRA actually claimed their old 1930's technology slant rails were safe enough. They took another 25 years to finally get with the program.

Here's NYRA saying "we don't need no Fontana rail" in 1992.

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/01/26/sports/horse-racing-how-safe-are-the-rails-depends-on-who-is-asked.html

(California got Fontana safety rails in the 1990's and 2000's, and had an earlier version of the same technology all the way back in the 1960's.)

PaceAdvantage
12-10-2017, 03:02 PM
Pretty sure the reason they didn't go with the Fontana rail is because they race in winter, and that safety rail casts a pretty good shadow that might promote some sort of ice buildup on the shadowed portion of the track...or at least hinder ice melting...

At least that's what I remember the argument being back in the day...trade one safety issue for another...

Not sure what's changed in that regard, since I'm pretty sure they haven't altered the physical location of the track...:lol: And I can't imagine the main track being in a better position sun-wise to use the Fontana rail compared to the now defunct inner track.

HuggingTheRail
12-10-2017, 05:40 PM
Pretty sure the reason they didn't go with the Fontana rail is because they race in winter, and that safety rail casts a pretty good shadow that might promote some sort of ice buildup on the shadowed portion of the track...or at least hinder ice melting...

At least that's what I remember the argument being back in the day...trade one safety issue for another...

Not sure what's changed in that regard, since I'm pretty sure they haven't altered the physical location of the track...:lol: And I can't imagine the main track being in a better position sun-wise to use the Fontana rail compared to the now defunct inner track.

They'll just ride 12 paths wide off the rail :lol:

Ruffian1
12-11-2017, 01:36 PM

Absolutely !

It can create an uneven thaw on the surface because of the shadows cast.

That was always the worry and Maryland's reason that they struggled with.

PaceAdvantage
12-11-2017, 01:56 PM
of course, this doesn't explain why they never used it at Belmont or Saratoga...no concerns about thawing ice/snow during those two meets.

dilanesp
12-11-2017, 04:40 PM
of course, this doesn't explain why they never used it at Belmont or Saratoga...no concerns about thawing ice/snow during those two meets.

Yeah. Or the old outer dirt at Aqueduct. Or Pimlico (because someone mentioned Maryland).

I still think this should have been done years ago.

Al Gobbi
12-11-2017, 05:21 PM
It's actually the Rider Protection System rail from Horsemen’s Track and Equipment and is similar to the one installed at Delta Downs this fall.

http://horsemenstrack.com/race-rails/rider-protection-system/

dilanesp
12-11-2017, 07:22 PM
It's actually the Rider Protection System rail from Horsemen’s Track and Equipment and is similar to the one installed at Delta Downs this fall.

http://horsemenstrack.com/race-rails/rider-protection-system/

Credit where credit is due. This is an excellent product.

It is broadly similar to the Fontana rail, though (and as I said, similar technologies actually have existed since the 1960's-- California tracks introduced gooseneck rails with protective coverings way back then).

cj
12-11-2017, 11:55 PM
I'm all for rider safety and good for NYRA putting this in, but if the point of the thread was to rip them for being late I don't get it. Was this really an issue in the last 25 years? I'm coming up blank trying to remember a jockey that was hurt because of the rail during that time. Am I missing some?

dilanesp
12-12-2017, 11:33 AM
I'm all for rider safety and good for NYRA putting this in, but if the point of the thread was to rip them for being late I don't get it. Was this really an issue in the last 25 years? I'm coming up blank trying to remember a jockey that was hurt because of the rail during that time. Am I missing some?

The story I linked to tied Cordero's 1992 injuries to it and had an on the record quote from Jerry Bailey on the issue.

cj
12-12-2017, 03:45 PM
The story I linked to tied Cordero's 1992 injuries to it and had an on the record quote from Jerry Bailey on the issue.

I know, I read it. I'm just saying that was 25 years ago. I'm glad they are putting it in, but again, has anyone been hurt because of the rail since then?

NY BRED
12-16-2017, 08:36 AM
The most likely reason for the rail is the fact the workers compensation
program for both Jockeys and exercise riders, formerly written
through the NY State Insurance fund on a guaranteed cost
basis, in now written through a private insurer via a
deductible/retention program, whereby the Insured aka
NY Jockey Injury Compensation Fund will hopefully reduce claims
and higher costs on claims via experienced third party administrators as against the claims personnel of the previous insurer.previous insurer.

There have been discussions about creating a partnership
program for the trainers, and NYRA is implementing an increase
in purse money for all (I believe) finishers in any race.

Hopefully this rail will provide better protection for the
jockeys and exercise riders, and will result in a win-win
scenario for all parties.

That said, I presume that NYRA will provide a safer environment
for both tbreds, l jockeys and all owners via drugs/alcohol
testing to prtect all parties involved in racing,including the betting
public.Hopefully, this will happen, although, as we all know
if there is a will, there is a way to create havoc. I would hope
those parties involved with drugging horses would face criminal charges and have
their licenses revoked in all states.

Monitoring the stewards via an experienced third party for rough and hazardous riding tactics should be reviewed including stiffer
penalties for the jockey which result in injury to other jockeys
or horses.

I'm guessing my odds are 1-9 that I'm preaching to the choir..

l

dilanesp
08-16-2020, 08:20 PM
Saratoga installed one this year.

When does Belmont get one? It really is an important safety improvement.

Tom
08-17-2020, 12:01 PM
New rail, new drainage for the rail, new track - which is performing very nicely. :ThmbUp: