PDA

View Full Version : It's a Brutal Game

PhantomOnTour
12-05-2017, 01:53 AM
This evening's Steelers/Bengals was barbaric. Suspensions will surely come. Very concerned for the well being of Ryan Shazier, who was injured making a basic tackle. He may never play again.
Vontaze Burfict got exactly what he deserved when JuJu dropped him with a legal hit.
The late shot on Antonio after his TD catch should draw a suspension.

The league will do something about this

barahona44
12-05-2017, 05:03 AM
Unfortunately, this is par for the course for these two teams.

rastajenk
12-05-2017, 07:55 AM
Well, the two guys who watched Bell run down the sideline to score weren't interested in making any kind of hit, so there's that. :mad: When that happened, I knew the Bengals' season was burnt toast.

I agree, though, that was hard to watch. I don't know how you move past it though. Fines, suspensions, and even rules changes aren't stopping it.

Any other organization would fire its head coach after losing the season with four games to go in that fashion. I'm pretty sure I'll contribute to the NFL's ratings drop the rest of the way.

lamboguy
12-05-2017, 07:58 AM
i like the running back for the Saints that has all the gold teeth in his mouth.

this sport is basically the worst one going. i could care less about watching Brady, Bellicek and Kraft waltzing into another championship. its really pretty boring already, and a lot worse than horse racing now.

barahona44
12-05-2017, 08:22 AM
Well, the two guys who watched Bell run down the sideline to score weren't interested in making any kind of hit, so there's that. :mad: When that happened, I knew the Bengals' season was burnt toast.

I agree, though, that was hard to watch. I don't know how you move past it though. Fines, suspensions, and even rules changes aren't stopping it.

Any other organization would fire its head coach after losing the season with four games to go in that fashion. I'm pretty sure I'll contribute to the NFL's ratings drop the rest of the way.

Marvin Lewis's days have been numbered all year.He's in the last year of his contract and didn't get his usual one year extension in the off-season,the lamest of lame ducks.Along with the Raiders Mark "Supercuts" Davis :),Mike Brown,as far as I know is the only NFL owner whose sole asset is the team and he's notoriously thrifty,so he'll play out the string with Lewis.He's not going to pay someone NOT to coach. Lewis going deep in the playoffs instead of his usual one-and-done was the only thing that was ever going to save his job.Bye, Marv

cj
12-05-2017, 07:58 PM
This evening's Steelers/Bengals was barbaric. Suspensions will surely come. Very concerned for the well being of Ryan Shazier, who was injured making a basic tackle. He may never play again.
Vontaze Burfict got exactly what he deserved when JuJu dropped him with a legal hit.
The late shot on Antonio after his TD catch should draw a suspension.

The league will do something about this

I agree with most of this. Football is getting very hard to watch for me personally. There is plenty other stuff to watch, don't need it anymore.

The disagreement on on the JuJu hit. That is not legal, not any more. It was rightly flagged and he was suspended for it.

PhantomOnTour
12-05-2017, 08:04 PM
When it's Burfict on the receiving end of the hit there should be no rules at all
:headbanger:

MutuelClerk
12-05-2017, 08:57 PM
The Gronk hit was the worst of the season. I'm not sure what he's appealing. HE only got one game because he's a Patriot. That hit was classless. He's very lucky the guy he hit wasn't severely injured. One game for that? The NFL is losing me too. And yet Goodell makes something like 25 million a season. Laughable. Blame Kaepernick that seems to be the easy way out in the modern NFL.

Lafecs
12-05-2017, 09:01 PM
The game is terrible. People are starting to see that having 250 pound men smash into each other at full speed might not be a great idea. I think soccer could take itís place, it is popular in every other country in the world

forced89
12-05-2017, 09:10 PM
I've stopped watching pro football. Too violent; too many time outs; too many video reviews which seem to take forever; etc. Every weekend I pick out a college game or two to watch.

thaskalos
12-05-2017, 10:16 PM
I would rather watch six Gilligan's Island reruns, one after the other.

kingfin66
12-05-2017, 10:35 PM
I would rather watch six Gilligan's Island reruns, one after the other.

I like that one where they almost get off the island, but Gilligan screws it up.

kingfin66
12-05-2017, 10:37 PM
The Gronk hit was the worst of the season. I'm not sure what he's appealing. HE only got one game because he's a Patriot. That hit was classless. He's very lucky the guy he hit wasn't severely injured. One game for that? The NFL is losing me too. And yet Goodell makes something like 25 million a season. Laughable. Blame Kaepernick that seems to be the easy way out in the modern NFL.

What is astounding to me is that these guys don't even get ejected from the games. They just get 15 yards and maybe a warning if it is a taunting penalty. The game goes on.

JustRalph
12-05-2017, 10:53 PM
Not very many good teams is really killing the game

I can think of just a few teams worth watching.

Shazier is thankfully better. Buckeye Nation went on Immediate Alert last night. He will be treated well.

proximity
12-05-2017, 11:10 PM
I like that one where they almost get off the island, but Gilligan screws it up.

trapped there with ginger and mary ann..... i think he sabotaged the escape on purpose. :)

Zaf
12-06-2017, 12:55 AM

Well said :ThmbUp:

Z

NJ Stinks
12-06-2017, 01:02 AM
I was glad Sean McDonough said "Shame on him." And Gruden backed him up.

But about 5 minutes later Gruden is telling us what a great coach Tomlin is. :mad: Why? Because he sees nothing wrong with his players brutalizing their opponents every week year after year?

Get rid of coaches who condone/turn a blind eye to the dirt their players do.

That's a basic step if you really want to stop the cheap shots.

Robert Fischer
12-06-2017, 04:21 PM
It's football.

cj
12-06-2017, 05:23 PM
It's football.

If it doesn't change it will go extinct.

Robert Fischer
12-07-2017, 07:28 PM

Will be interesting to see what happens.

High school football is one important barometer.
There's still a big market for high school football, especially in certain schools/districts.
I would expect data to show a correlation with (lower)income and participation, and trends that that show it to be increasingly moving in that direction.

Do the benefits of playing HS Football still outweigh the risks?

Inner Dirt
12-10-2017, 01:07 PM
Will be interesting to see what happens.

High school football is one important barometer.
There's still a big market for high school football, especially in certain schools/districts.
I would expect data to show a correlation with (lower)income and participation, and trends that that show it to be increasingly moving in that direction.

Do the benefits of playing HS Football still outweigh the risks?

The Richmond Virginia area schools get quite a bit of coverage from the network news here, probably at least a 5-10 min segment of scores and highlights on Friday nights.

Robert Fischer
12-10-2017, 05:02 PM
The Richmond Virginia area schools get quite a bit of coverage from the network news here, probably at least a 5-10 min segment of scores and highlights on Friday nights.

High School football is BIG in some communities.
I grew up in Maryland(moderate interest, but big to HS students) and Western-Pa(loves their HS sports).
Richmond is big.
Florida and Texas are obviously big, as is much of the south.

I don't see it going anywhere. The only thing that I have noticed is that some of the schools in nicer suburban areas have had a decline in participation, even if they may have the most expensive, nicest football field in the league. Some of these schools basically have to recruit in order to reach the same level of participation and quality as they've had in the past.

Valuist
12-12-2017, 03:52 PM
We saw the effects of that game on display this past weekend. A terrible performance by the Bengals to get blown out by the Bears, and the Steelers needed every minute to pull out a one point win at home, and overcome a terrible defensive effort. If one bet both the Bengals and Steelers, they went 0-2.

CincyHorseplayer
12-12-2017, 04:25 PM
I failed to see this thread because we've had a love/hate relationship with this team in this city since Mike Brown took over. The Bengals of my youth in the 80's is just a distant memory. We have unfireable, lifetime coaches on this team. How is that possible? Mike Brown. We have no GM nor even an indoor practice facility in this climate. Marvin not getting a playoff win in 14 years=he should have been gone 2 seasons ago. Another window has passed with this current lineup. Not winning a playoff game in the 26 years of my adulthood, you just glaze over and turn off when this becomes an in season reality. We're F-in stuck with this BS in this city and no way out.

JustRalph
12-12-2017, 07:55 PM
I failed to see this thread because we've had a love/hate relationship with this team in this city since Mike Brown took over. The Bengals of my youth in the 80's is just a distant memory. We have unfireable, lifetime coaches on this team. How is that possible? Mike Brown. We have no GM nor even an indoor practice facility in this climate. Marvin not getting a playoff win in 14 years=he should have been gone 2 seasons ago. Another window has passed with this current lineup. Not winning a playoff game in the 26 years of my adulthood, you just glaze over and turn off when this becomes an in season reality. We're F-in stuck with this BS in this city and no way out.

Yep........when I lived in Columbus we really tried to cheer for the Bungles. After the early 80ís and the son took over.....they were really done.

The best thing to come out of the Bengals was when Gary Burbank on 700wlw did that radio bit "All my Bengals" for years. Ever hear that Cincy?

PhantomOnTour
12-12-2017, 08:21 PM
After the ugly finish to the Jags/Seahawks game, why don't teams use the shotgun for their victory formation? That eliminates all the petty BS that Seattle was trying. Shotgun is a very common formation; the snap is not risky at all.
The QB kneels upon receiving the ball.
Problem solved

cj
12-12-2017, 11:37 PM
After the ugly finish to the Jags/Seahawks game, why don't teams use the shotgun for their victory formation? That eliminates all the petty BS that Seattle was trying. Shotgun is a very common formation; the snap is not risky at all.
The QB kneels upon receiving the ball.
Problem solved

This might sound silly, but in high school I would actually take the snap kneeling down. As soon as you got it, you're down. Of course they don't have to touch like the pros, but I'd think in the NFL this is the same as the "giving yourself up" rule. Get the snap, you're down. End of play.

MutuelClerk
12-13-2017, 12:40 AM
I thought the Seattle guy over the center was trying to create a fumble and not trying to hurt the center. Maybe hoping for a Herm Edwards vs Giants moment from many years ago.

The Houston QB getting leveled in his own end zone and twitching while on the ground struggling to get back up and them being allowed to play the next series was much worse than anything that happened in the Jax- Sea game.

forced89
12-13-2017, 09:46 AM
One way to improve the game and make it less dangerous would be for the NFL to establish weight maximums for each position. Like boxers players would have to weigh in before each game. I know. It is radical but something has to be done or interest in the NFL will continue to decline.

Inner Dirt
12-13-2017, 10:31 AM
One way to improve the game and make it less dangerous would be for the NFL to establish weight maximums for each position. Like boxers players would have to weigh in before each game. I know. It is radical but something has to be done or interest in the NFL will continue to decline.

I don't think that makes a whole lot of difference, I played through college, just D3 playing linebacker at 220# I ran up against 300# guys you could throw out of the way easily and 180# guys that were a pain in the ass to fight off. Look back at the NFL game in the 60's that was before team weight training, supplements, steroids and most players had second jobs. They were smaller and slower yet players got as banged up as they do now. Players from that era suffered just as bad after their career ended as they do now.

ElKabong
12-14-2017, 04:20 AM

I'm beginning to think it can never change enough.

Today, Tommy Nobis passed away. My first Lonhgorn hero. The past few years he was showing increasing signs of CTE. Breaks my heart.

The past few years I've tried to make the switch to soccer, never could fully do it. College football has been a huge part of my life when it comes to entertainment, but I know I have to switch. It's hard to see these kids knock the hell out of each other knowing the consequences.

A lot of us played the game, wonder how guys that played pro survive it. Like a lot of folks, I played after hard hits where my eyes felt like tuning forks after hitting someone hard, and vice verse. You take the hit, don't leave the field because that's "what a football player does" or is. Leave game and you were a pussy. That mindset thankfully has changed but the game is still brutal. I just can't fully love it the way I did at one time. The results for players are too grave

JustRalph
12-14-2017, 10:40 AM
I wish I had never played

I was undersized but did very well

I feel it now.

kingfin66
12-14-2017, 11:39 AM
I thought the Seattle guy over the center was trying to create a fumble and not trying to hurt the center. Maybe hoping for a Herm Edwards vs Giants moment from many years ago.

The Houston QB getting leveled in his own end zone and twitching while on the ground struggling to get back up and them being allowed to play the next series was much worse than anything that happened in the Jax- Sea game.

I think that what happened at the end of Sea-Jax and the premise of this thread are two different things. The end of the Sea-Jax game was simply a case of very, very poor sportsmanship on the part of the Seahawks - my Seahawks by the way :( Bennett says that he was trying to create a fumble although I don't think that anybody who follow football has ever seen that ploy work at any level. Bennett is an idiot and I hope that his time in Seattle is coming to an end after this season.

Football has become increasingly brutal over the years as players have become bigger, stronger and faster. I see lip service and minimal change directed toward the issue. There are always going to be players lining up to play college and pro football. The allure of an education and the big money of the NFL is just too much to say no to. One thing that college football has done that I like is the targeting rule. It is a reviewable play which sometimes actually works in favor of the accused player. If deemed targeting, the players is ejected from the current game and the first half of the following game. That is huge!

cj
12-14-2017, 12:37 PM
I'm beginning to think it can never change enough.

Today, Tommy Nobis passed away. My first Lonhgorn hero. The past few years he was showing increasing signs of CTE. Breaks my heart.

The past few years I've tried to make the switch to soccer, never could fully do it. College football has been a huge part of my life when it comes to entertainment, but I know I have to switch. It's hard to see these kids knock the hell out of each other knowing the consequences.

A lot of us played the game, wonder how guys that played pro survive it. Like a lot of folks, I played after hard hits where my eyes felt like tuning forks after hitting someone hard, and vice verse. You take the hit, don't leave the field because that's "what a football player does" or is. Leave game and you were a pussy. That mindset thankfully has changed but the game is still brutal. I just can't fully love it the way I did at one time. The results for players are too grave

I read a story yesterday about Larry Johnson, former running back for the Chiefs, and it is downright terrifying---and he is only 38 years old.

kingfin66
12-14-2017, 11:24 PM
Another head injury in tonight's game. Brandon Williams of the Colts was carted off the field and taken to the hospital with a head injury. The reports are good: he is alert and has movement of all limbs. It was another helmet to helmet hit.

ElKabong
12-14-2017, 11:56 PM
I think that what happened at the end of Sea-Jax and the premise of this thread are two different things. The end of the Sea-Jax game was simply a case of very, very poor sportsmanship on the part of the Seahawks - my Seahawks by the way :( Bennett says that he was trying to create a fumble although I don't think that anybody who follow football has ever seen that ploy work at any level. Bennett is an idiot and I hope that his time in Seattle is coming to an end after this season.

Football has become increasingly brutal over the years as players have become bigger, stronger and faster. I see lip service and minimal change directed toward the issue. There are always going to be players lining up to play college and pro football. The allure of an education and the big money of the NFL is just too much to say no to. One thing that college football has done that I like is the targeting rule. It is a reviewable play which sometimes actually works in favor of the accused player. If deemed targeting, the players is ejected from the current game and the first half of the following game. That is huge!

PA doesn't approve of the word retarded being used here, but it applies to both Michael and martellus Bennett. Have followed those two since their recruiting escapades in high school, they're the most self absorbed, mentally deficient athletes I've known or heard of. And that's saying a lot.

Even Aggies have turned on them, and that takes a great deal. " once an aggie, always an aggie" is more than lip service to those people down there. Read Texags.com, the alumni and fans actually hate those two. A lot of a&m players have gotten in trouble but they've always had some degree of support from Aggies. The Bennett's have been disowned, esp Michael.

cj
12-15-2017, 12:28 AM
PA doesn't approve of the word retarded being used here, but it applies to both Michael and martellus Bennett. Have followed those two since their recruiting escapades in high school, they're the most self absorbed, mentally deficient athletes I've known or heard of. And that's saying a lot.

Even Aggies have turned on them, and that takes a great deal. " once an aggie, always an aggie" is more than lip service to those people down there. Read Texags.com, the alumni and fans actually hate those two. A lot of a&m players have gotten in trouble but they've always had some degree of support from Aggies. The Bennett's have been disowned, esp Michael.

Just to be clear on this, it isn't a PA thing, it is a modern society thing. It just isn't an acceptable term any longer and really never should have been.

http://www.r-word.org/r-word-effects-of-the-word.aspx

kingfin66
12-15-2017, 01:16 AM

So let's not use that word. Where MB is concerned, we are fair to just refer to him as an idiot, or an effing moron. A living brain donor if you will. I don't know too much about the brother. Michael last year made a huge point about not wanting offensive lineman diving at his knees. He is a hypocrite and a poor loser. Also, in interviews he thinks he is much funnier, irreverent and witty than he really is.

barahona44
12-15-2017, 10:38 AM
So let's not use that word. Where MB is concerned, we are fair to just refer to him as an idiot, or an effing moron. A living brain donor if you will. I don't know too much about the brother. Michael last year made a huge point about not wanting offensive lineman diving at his knees. He is a hypocrite and a poor loser. Also, in interviews he thinks he is much funnier, irreverent and witty than he really is.

Until World War 2, idiot, imbecile and moron were clinical terms to describe different levels of mental retardation.Morons had IQ levels of 51-70 (A 70 IQ is the cutoff point for people with intellectual disabilities), imbeciles had IQ scores of 25-50 and idiots's scores were below 25

Mild, moderate and severe are now the words used to replace them

So it's not really that different using those terms as opposed to the banned terms.It's simply moved into the popular vernacular.

kingfin66
12-15-2017, 11:04 AM
Until World War 2, idiot, imbecile and moron were clinical terms to describe different levels of mental retardation.Morons had IQ levels of 51-70 (A 70 IQ is the cutoff point for people with intellectual disabilities), imbeciles had IQ scores of 25-50 and idiots's scores were below 25

Mild, moderate and severe are now the words used to replace them

So it's not really that different using those terms as opposed to the banned terms.It's simply moved into the popular vernacular.

I certainly can't argue the numbers above where Michael Bennett's actions are concerned. Thanks for sharing them and validating my post. As for the self-righteous tone in which they were really intended Mr. Holier Than Thou; I say Piss Off.

kingfin66
12-15-2017, 11:03 PM
I certainly can't argue the numbers above where Michael Bennett's actions are concerned. Thanks for sharing them and validating my post. As for the self-righteous tone in which they were really intended Mr. Holier Than Thou; I say Piss Off.

To barahona44,

First, let me say that I apologize for the part in bold. Our moderator pointed out that it was unnecessary. I agree.

My comments were clearly aimed at stating my opinion about Michael Bennett and were not aimed at any particular group of people. What was once considered verboten is now often quite acceptable. I believe that is the case with the words I used. I think you know that already.

Now, please let us resume the It's a Brutal Game thread.

It is!