PDA

View Full Version : Carol Burnette special

Fager Fan
12-03-2017, 10:41 PM
Anyone else watching?

Now this is everything that SNL is not. Even all these many years later, these skits are hilarious, and clever, and the comedians wee funny, and witty.

Great show.

Nutz and Boltz
12-04-2017, 08:10 AM
Anyone else watching?

Now this is everything that SNL is not. Even all these many years later, these skits are hilarious, and clever, and the comedians wee funny, and witty.

Great show.

....and no political humor !

Tom
12-04-2017, 08:28 AM
Good comedians do not need to scrape the bottom of the barrel to be funny.
SNL could take notes, but then, I doubt over there can read, so why bother.

That show was one of the funniest in TV history.

Nutz and Boltz
12-04-2017, 09:05 AM
LMAO all evening, even though I know the sketches well after watching them over and over in reruns.

Marshall Bennett
12-04-2017, 11:56 AM
No doubt ratings won't score high since few liberals were likely watching. Had the show opened with a thorough trashing of Trump it might have helped. A few liberal guest speakers spewing filth about Trump's daughters would have boosted ratings. A skit where Trump is beheaded or shot between the eyes would have brought the house down if packed with liberals.
Carol's simply too traditional and classy to be successful in today's TV market. Unfortunately I missed it, but will catch it replayed later.
Bet none of the actors were gay men in bikinis either. :)

Fager Fan
12-04-2017, 12:25 PM
No doubt ratings won't score high since few liberals were likely watching. Had the show opened with a thorough trashing of Trump it might have helped. A few liberal guest speakers spewing filth about Trump's daughters would have boosted ratings. A skit where Trump is beheaded or shot between the eyes would have brought the house down if packed with liberals.
Carol's simply too traditional and classy to be successful in today's TV market. Unfortunately I missed it, but will catch it replayed later.
Bet none of the actors were gay men in bikinis either. :)

Do watch. It was great to see those old skits and be reminded of how good comedy can be. I pulled up a few videos this morning to watch. Great stuff.

FantasticDan
12-04-2017, 12:38 PM
Wow, even a Carol Burnett anniversary show brings a vicious attack on liberals.. what a totally normal, not at all bizarre thing to do :D :ThmbUp:

To the original poster, she spells her name Burnett, not Burnette.

Did you turn the channel when all those horrible untalented SNL alumni showed up to talk and joke with Carol? :lol:

Nutz and Boltz
12-04-2017, 12:45 PM
Did you turn the channel when all those horrible untalented SNL alumni showed up to talk and joke with Carol? :lol:

No, but I did turn my face away from the screen when Leno was on.!

ElKabong
12-04-2017, 01:48 PM
I checked the directv guide, no replay is scheduled. If this is replayed, give us all a heads up. Sounds like a great show

Fager Fan
12-04-2017, 02:46 PM
Wow, even a Carol Burnett anniversary show brings a vicious attack on liberals.. what a totally normal, not at all bizarre thing to do :D :ThmbUp:

To the original poster, she spells her name Burnett, not Burnette.

Why do you take it personally if I think SNL is a crap show, and has been one for a very long time?

Fager Fan
12-04-2017, 02:47 PM
It looks as though they have the special uploaded to their site:

http://www.cbs.com/shows/carol-burnett-50th-anniversary-special/video/3bZA3HTgwTiCtfdfH7CXrfo4plYye24u/the-carol-burnett-50th-anniversary-special/

FantasticDan
12-04-2017, 03:17 PM
Why do you take it personally if I think SNL is a crap show, and has been one for a very long time?You said that Carol's show is everything SNL is not. I jokingly asked if you turned the channel when all the SNL alumni were visiting with Carol.

That's me taking it personally? :confused: :lol:

Inner Dirt
12-04-2017, 04:09 PM
....and no political humor !

Even when there was political humor back in Carol's heyday everyone was fair game and it wasn't one sided as it is now. I just read recently that the more the late night talk shows bash Trump, the better the ratings, pretty freakin sad. I don't see how the same old crap over and over draws people in. I could not stand Obama but I would not tune in to a talk show where bashing him was a main staple. Story on MSN today about Trump's favorite McDonald's order and how unhealthy it is, like who gives a crap.

Fager Fan
12-04-2017, 04:09 PM
You said that Carol's show is everything SNL is not. I jokingly asked if you turned the channel when all the SNL alumni were visiting with Carol.

That's me taking it personally? :confused: :lol:

Yes, it sounds like you taking it personally. And if you really roll on the floor laughing at this (along with plenty of other times you use the emoticon), you need to see a doctor.

rastajenk
12-04-2017, 04:28 PM
The special was on in our household; I can't say I watched it, but I sure heard it. Seems like every bit had way too much yelling and screaming. I s'pose it was funny the first time, but I don't think a lot of that stuff has aged well.

JustRalph
12-04-2017, 04:36 PM
Colbert and a few others really turned me off, but I watched. Tim Conway missing the show was worrying. He hasn’t tweeted for a while either.

Marshall Bennett
12-04-2017, 04:48 PM
Dan is nearly always on the defensive here because typically Dan is always wrong. Being a follower of liberalism comes with a price. You're a liberal first because your angry, and what follows is according to which issues you'll argue that you believe will anger conservatives.
Whether you believe the stuff you post or not isn't important, what matters is how much you can piss off other members with your ridiculous rhetoric.
No one is angry except you, Dan. The :lol: emoticon you so often use is symbolic of that. There's nothing funny there.

Nutz and Boltz
12-04-2017, 05:54 PM
I don't think a lot of that stuff has aged well.

You can say the same thing about most of us. Carol looked great.I think she is like 84 years old. It's sad sometimes to find out some of our favorites from the past have not aged well or passed on.

Inner Dirt
12-04-2017, 05:59 PM
I also think a person's sense of humor changes over time. I remember laughing hysterically at Benny Hill while in college in the early 80's, a couple years back I watched him and thought it was the stupidest crap I had ever seen.

FantasticDan
12-04-2017, 06:02 PM
Dan is nearly always on the defensive here because typically Dan is always wrong. Being a follower of liberalism comes with a price. You're a liberal first because your angry, and what follows is according to which issues you'll argue that you believe will anger conservatives.
Whether you believe the stuff you post or not isn't important, what matters is how much you can piss off other members with your ridiculous rhetoric.
No one is angry except you, Dan.Wait.. what? You post some nutty anti-liberal diatribe in a Carol Burnett thread, but I'm the angry one?

:lol: :ThmbUp:

JustRalph
12-04-2017, 08:02 PM
I also think a person's sense of humor changes over time. I remember laughing hysterically at Benny Hill while in college in the early 80's, a couple years back I watched him and thought it was the stupidest crap I had ever seen.

This is right........

Clocker
12-04-2017, 08:30 PM
I remember laughing hysterically at Benny Hill while in college in the early 80's

While drinking and/or smoking what? :cool:

Fager Fan
12-04-2017, 08:35 PM
This is right........

I agree with it too, but I think that the humor in the CB show has aged very well. It's been a long time since I'd watched those skits but I thought they were funny now, not just back then.

Inner Dirt
12-04-2017, 09:10 PM
While drinking and/or smoking what? :cool:

I have never smoked other than the occasional cigar, but might have had a few beers in me by then as I think he was on at 11 pm.

Fager Fan
12-27-2017, 05:17 PM
Replays tonight at 8 eastern on CBS.