PDA

View Full Version : SMARTY POLL

CryingForTheHorses
08-17-2004, 08:53 PM
I have heard and so have you guys, Every reason why and why not Smarty should have been retired, I have heard all the people mad at The Chapmans for them dangling a carrot in front of the world.LOTS are saying it was the GREED..
This is a poll to show you just how greedy everybody is..Please vote..PA please give the time for a fair vote....5 days

Zaf
08-17-2004, 08:58 PM
I would find it hard to take a risk with an asset thats worth 47 million. I guess as Michael Douglas said in Wall Street, " Greed is Good " I guess I would be guilty of being greedy.

ZAFONIC

keilan
08-17-2004, 09:05 PM
Hey McSchell -- there’s a old saying “money doesn’t go lame”:)

Not too hard to figure which way I'd go!

Zaf
08-17-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by keilan
Hey McSchell -- there’s a old saying “money doesn’t go lame”:)

Hey Keith,

If its the Canadian Dollar , it can go lame in a hurry

:eek:

ZAFONIC

BillW
08-17-2004, 09:22 PM
I had to look up the definition of greed before I voted to insure that my meager education didn't fail me at a very fundamental level. I found that it didn't. Greed in all cases was related to over zealous acquisition of unneeded wealth. I guess Chapman could be accused of greed for buying the horse in the first place (after all who needs a horse?) but in no way can he be considered greedy for liquidating an asset he already owns. He could have been considered greedy if he negotiated the price in a particularly agressive manner to maximize return beyond acceptable value, but cut the guy a break, he has funeral expenses in his very near future, and a bunch of heirs to take care of. (Who knows his heirs could be greedy :eek: )

Bill

cato
08-17-2004, 11:44 PM
I think it would depend on how much insurance I could get on the horse and the cost of that insurance. If I could come close to the stud value through insurance, I would run the horse as long as the horse was 100% healthy.

I would pay for the insurance with winnings and/or promotional money.

It would be nice to see what these horses can do past 3.

And that's theoretical, of course. If I was really given the opprtunity to cash a $47 million check ... the answer woudl probably be "how fast can you sign the check?"

JustRalph
08-18-2004, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by cato
I think it would depend on how much insurance I could get on the horse and the cost of that insurance. If I could come close to the stud value through insurance, I would run the horse as long as the horse was 100% healthy.

I would pay for the insurance with winnings and/or promotional money.

It would be nice to see what these horses can do past 3.

And that's theoretical, of course. If I was really given the opprtunity to cash a $47 million check ... the answer woudl probably be "how fast can you sign the check?"

If something happens to that horse..........that old man can't get the same thrill from visiting the money.........that he and his kids etc can get from visiting Kentucky a couple of times a year....for the next 20 years.....and they already have tons of money.............

Buckeye
08-18-2004, 08:23 AM
They put a price on the horse which may or may NOT exceed his true value.

They had their hands on greatness and that is what they sold.

What is the price of fame and glory?

CryingForTheHorses
08-18-2004, 08:41 AM
I voted to take the money!!!
I would be the most dangerous guy at Calder!! NO horse would be safe from claiming,Love to grab them horses that them "high profile" trainers steal with!.With that kind of money, Im sure you will gain a few friends,Looking for a handout, I would also donate to various places.Why not spend it as you cant take it with you.There will be enough money in that family to last them generations.

BIG RED
08-18-2004, 09:32 AM
If I was a sruggling owner , I would take the money.

If I was wealthy, NO.

Once in a lifetime an owner gets lucky to come accross a Smarty Jones. I would definitly run him for myself and the fans of this great game

I guess money has everything to do with it.

Tom
08-18-2004, 07:46 PM
It's funny that there almost as many posts crying bout Smarty retiring as there were crying aobut Azeri NOT retiring!?!

Buckeye
08-18-2004, 11:30 PM
25 years from now they'll remember Smarty Jones for what he could have done.

That's the difference.