PDA

View Full Version : Very good vs marginal driver

jocko699
12-01-2017, 10:15 PM
McNair just completely outdrove Henry in race 8 at Woodbine. Henry had tons the best horse at 1-5 but McNair blocked him on the rail through the stretch. A good driver would have sent the 1-5 shot to the top at the 5/8s pole. That is the difference between a marginal driver like Henry and a very good driver like McNair

Sea Biscuit
12-01-2017, 11:35 PM
Trevor Henry a marginal driver? You gotta be kidding me.

jocko699
12-01-2017, 11:41 PM
Trevor Henry a marginal driver? You gotta be kidding me.

You are right. I may have gave him too much credit.

Sea Biscuit
12-02-2017, 12:34 AM
You are right. I may have gave him too much credit.

For your info Jocko marginal drivers don't win 4.9 million in purses which he has done at WEG so far.

Enuff said.

jocko699
12-02-2017, 12:42 AM
For your info Jocko marginal drivers don't win 4.9 million in purses which he has done at WEG so far.

Enuff said.

McNair's talent could transfer to the big places with the best drivers. Henry's could not. Please show me where he has shown ANY success with the best driver's in the world. He is a class-B driver who won a driver's championship due to the overall weakness of the community.

McNair is young and has potential and talent to compete at the highest levels. 2-5 Henry will NEVER drive LA Delight in a stakes race and 6-5 in any other race unless it's between PHudon and him.

Sea Biscuit
12-02-2017, 01:39 AM
McNair's talent could transfer to the big places with the best drivers. Henry's could not. Please show me where he has shown ANY success with the best driver's in the world. He is a class-B driver who won a driver's championship due to the overall weakness of the community.

McNair is young and has potential and talent to compete at the highest levels. 2-5 Henry will NEVER drive LA Delight in a stakes race and 6-5 in any other race unless it's between PHudon and him.

I never said anything about McNair. I know he is talented and you don't have to tell me about his talents. His record speaks for itself.

Just what has LA Delight done so far this year to impress you? May I ask?

LA registered his 1st win of the year in a much cheaper class by crawling to the half in a 56 half (final time1:51:1). I am not surprised by his loss in a preferreds race. His .35 odds doesn't mean he is the best horse in the field.

A long time ago I made it a rule to never argue with Mr Know-it-Alls of the internet who bash drivers. I think I will revert back to my rule.

Have yourself a good night.

sharkey11
12-02-2017, 03:20 PM
got to go along with jocko on this henery was a great driver but its been shown that as drivers get older they slow down a bit by the time they get to there 40s its the nerve that goes .:ThmbUp:

MutuelClerk
12-03-2017, 12:02 AM
I do believe McNair is much better than Henry and would succeed on any circuit. But calling Henry a marginal driver is going way over board. I really like Henry in the summer on younger horses especially trotters, especially first time. Just my two cents. Or seeing as how it's the WEG circuit. My 1.5 cents.

Sea Biscuit
12-03-2017, 12:29 AM
I do believe McNair is much better than Henry and would succeed on any circuit. But calling Henry a marginal driver is going way over board. I really like Henry in the summer on younger horses especially trotters, especially first time. Just my two cents. Or seeing as how it's the WEG circuit. My 1.5 cents.

Well said Mutuel Clerk.

Sea Biscuit
12-08-2017, 10:09 PM
2-5 Henry will NEVER drive LA Delight in a stakes race and 6-5 in any other race

Wrong on both counts.

I wonder what will Jocko have to say about Henry's drive on LA Delight tonight.

botster
12-10-2017, 06:43 PM
I have heard people make similar statements. One thing you cannot do, is automatically put drivers in a class based on how many, big money races they have participated,and or won, throughout their career.
The strongest evidence that comes to mind is that of one “Billy”Parker Jr. He throughout most of his career was one of the most talented drivers I had ever had the pleasure of watching.
The sad fact is that the USTA, will most likely, not allow his induction to the Hall Of Fame, because of this proposterous reasoning.

Sea Biscuit
12-10-2017, 08:49 PM
Botster: You are a sight for sore eyes. Welcome back. Your 1st post since Jan.2016.

Hope everything is A-OK.

botster
12-18-2017, 11:54 AM
Actually SB, what led me to take a peek back here, was the current Meds Winter Survivor challenge. Thought you guys may have had a thread going. It’s been a while..lol. Thank you.