PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Woods back?

lansdale
12-01-2017, 06:28 PM
I have zero interest in golf unless TW is playing, so good to see him in contentionm, five off the lead, after second round of Hero tournament. FWIW, a golfer friend said his ball speed off the tee was 180 mph, which, to him is a sign that his back might be in better shape than it's been in awhile. Interesting to see if he can hang in through Sunday, after all the late-round fades of the past few years.

letswastemoney
12-01-2017, 06:52 PM
I'm a fan, but I'm skeptical after being let down so many times before.

Maybe he does well this week, and at some point a month or two from now withdraws halfway during a real PGA Tour tournament.

letswastemoney
12-02-2017, 02:13 PM
He's already falling down the leaderboard. Let's see if he can steady the ship on the Back 9.

HoofedInTheChest
12-02-2017, 02:55 PM
I guess he managed to get his glutes activated this weekend.

kingfin66
12-02-2017, 03:43 PM
I am not a fan of Tiger Woods.

The odds are against him.

He is nearly 42-years old.

He has had multiple back surgeries.

His personal life has been a shambles.

There is no reason to expect anything from him.

Despite all of this, his first two rounds showed a guy that can still play golf. His swing looks good and he was in contention and made the cut. I don't know that I am necessary cheering for him, but I think that Tiger Woods doing well is good for golf in general. It would be kind of cool if he could recapture some of the magic and put himself in a position to have some final rounds with the young guns. Time will tell, but my expectations will remain low.

ElKabong
12-02-2017, 09:37 PM
My brother has played golf since he was 7, has hits balls or played almost every day since (he's 70). At Thanksgiving dinner 1996 he said Woods would have back problems at some point b/c of his swing, well before his prime. I always remembered that conversation b/c I didn't see what he did (re: swing)

Inner Dirt
12-03-2017, 08:37 AM
My brother has played golf since he was 7, has hits balls or played almost every day since (he's 70). At Thanksgiving dinner 1996 he said Woods would have back problems at some point b/c of his swing, well before his prime. I always remembered that conversation b/c I didn't see what he did (re: swing)

Has your brother noticed a difference in Tiger's swing since he came back? I would think the spinal fusion must have altered it. I only notice golf swings if they are off the wall bad. A fused spine at 40 forced me to give up the game.

burnsy
12-03-2017, 12:43 PM
First off, I stink, I didn't take this game up until I couldn't play anything else. But in professional sports this "comeback" is somewhat of a pipe dream that gets a lot of hype. People are saying the NFL ratings are down, they are, but big deal when without this guy golf can't even draw flies. That's what's behind this, his best days are in the past, I have a bulging disc and have had the shots, my back is not as bad as his but there's no way he'll last for a long duration or possibly a 3 day stint against the best in the world. Yeah, he can still be a good golfer but the "greatness" is a past tense. How many times are they gonna milk this cow?

Why do they bother? Just read the OP, " No interest in golf unless TW is playing." That's why! Plus, how much can you like a game or sport if you only have interest in one player. Doesn't even make sense, just like this miraculous come back...........its another media mirage. He may win something, I highly doubt he'll ever win another major......ever.

AndyC
12-03-2017, 04:07 PM
Has your brother noticed a difference in Tiger's swing since he came back? I would think the spinal fusion must have altered it. I only notice golf swings if they are off the wall bad. A fused spine at 40 forced me to give up the game.

I can't speak for Elkabong's brother but Tiger was swinging as well as anytime in the last 10 years. His driving was fantastic and that is usually his Achilles heal. It remains to be seen whether or not he can regain his superior iron play and scrambling abilities.

ElKabong
12-03-2017, 04:37 PM

He hasn't mentioned it at all. About the only sports we talk about is college football (non stop from August till February)

That 1996 conversation stood out to me because I never thought about woods swing. I haven't played a round since 1981 when I was in my mid 20s. Was an avid golfer thru college but didn't have time for it afterwards. My brother can talk about mechanics of a swing for hours if he had an interested audience (his buddies) , he just knows I'm not into it anymore so he doesn't bring it up much.

Golf and handicapping are alike in this sense..... In order to be really good at it, you have to immerse yourself into it. Being mediocre at golf or handicapping is frustrating. It's all in or you're spinning your wheels (just my opinion on it)

lansdale
12-03-2017, 05:58 PM
Seemed like a decent outing for TW, in the middle of the pack of a group of top players. Surprised that he came back relatively strong today, despite bad 3rd round, since he's frequently tailed off in these situations in the last few years.
Maybe most important, he said his back was completely pain-free throughout, for the first time in years. Would seem to jibe with his performance.

I don't think anyone, least of all Tiger, thinks he can regain the dominance of his early career -- I'm sure he'd just like to be out there playing well -- maybe at the level of another guy his age like Stenson. Will be interesting to see if he can carry this into next year. After this tournament, his odds in the 2018 Masters' dropped from 100-1 to 28/1.

jocko699
12-03-2017, 06:14 PM
I can't speak for Elkabong's brother but Tiger was swinging as well as anytime in the last 10 years. His driving was fantastic and that is usually his Achilles heal. It remains to be seen whether or not he can regain his superior iron play and scrambling abilities.

I was a single digit golfer for 25+ years but my lower back injuries caught up. I haven't played in a year and only start recently to hit balls at the range again. My goal is to actually play a round again and I think CJ and I will soon.

Now Tiger really began the workout regimen for golfers and he is truly fit so I think he can return to a form that is competitive. I noticed that his recent swing change is really using his upper back and arms. This will take the strain off his lower back but may lead to mid or upper back issues.

horses4courses
03-10-2018, 10:09 PM
Tiger is one shot off the lead in this week's PGA Tour Valspar C'ship.
At 8 under after 3 rounds, he tees off at 150pm on Sunday.

One thing's for sure.
If his good form continues, golf viewing ratings will rise.

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/22716657/valspar-championship-tiger-woods-one-corey-conners-entering-final-round

Lemon Drop Husker
03-10-2018, 10:35 PM
Tiger is one shot off the lead in this week's PGA Tour Valspar C'ship.
At 8 under after 3 rounds, he tees off at 150pm on Sunday.

One thing's for sure.
If his good form continues, golf viewing ratings will rise.

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/22716657/valspar-championship-tiger-woods-one-corey-conners-entering-final-round

Tiger plays, I'm watching haphazardly.

Tiger on the leader board on a Sunday, and I'm glued in.

As a 40 something former collegiate golfer, the mad respect I have for this man's amazing skills is off the charts. And the pure amount of acceptance and greatness for the moment he has shown throughout his career is truly unbelievable.

DVR is already set. Masters wager in Vegas already played. :jump:

kingfin66
03-11-2018, 12:12 AM
I expect ratings will be huge tomorrow. It would not be hard to imagine the ratings for tomorrow's final round surpassing those of the last several years' majors. Tiger Woods is golf.

jay68802
03-11-2018, 12:19 AM
And if you did not notice, the old Scotty Cameron putter is in use again.:popcorn:

barahona44
03-11-2018, 12:26 AM
Tiger was swinging as well as anytime in the last 10 years.

Tiger was swinging great, the problem is his wife found out. :D

Lemon Drop Husker
03-11-2018, 12:43 AM
Tiger was swinging great, the problem is his wife found out. :D

Has to suck when people bring up shit that is a decade old.

At least the Tiger Army is more than ready to support him. :ThmbUp:

NJ Stinks
03-11-2018, 01:50 AM
Personally, I watch a lot of golf - including the Indian Open live from India right now.

Golf becomes almost impossible to watch if Tiger is playing decent. The announcers constantly drool stupid crap about how the rest of the field is in such awe of Tiger's hugeness. And the camera sticking to watching Tiger size up meaningless putts for at least 2 or 3 minutes is total BS.

If Tiger stays in the hunt tomorrow you watch. It will be nothing short of unwatchable. :sleeping:

Lemon Drop Husker
03-11-2018, 03:15 AM
Personally, I watch a lot of golf - including the Indian Open live from India right now.

Golf becomes almost impossible to watch if Tiger is playing decent. The announcers constantly drool stupid crap about how the rest of the field is in such awe of Tiger's hugeness. And the camera sticking to watching Tiger size up meaningless putts for at least 2 or 3 minutes is total BS.

If Tiger stays in the hunt tomorrow you watch. It will be nothing short of unwatchable. :sleeping:

I was a massive Nicklaus fan as a kid. And even his "always" coverage became tiresome.

Ratings are ratings, and I'm a rabid fan of anything and everything Tiger.

Sorry. :(

Having played the game at a somewhat "high" level, he is the most captivating player I've ever seen. Jack included.

tophatmert
03-11-2018, 10:11 AM
He is 42 with several major surgeries behind him and his club head speed is the highest on tour or very close. Amazing.

Marshall Bennett
03-11-2018, 12:11 PM

Aren't a lot of sports similar in this respect. When the Patriots are playing all you hear is Brady, Brady. Tiger accomplished so much early in his career, its no wonder he draws crowds and attention. Nicklaus did the same right up till he retired. Ratings are everything in survival for the networks and their programing. Golf needs Tiger whether people like him or not.
He'll never regain the success he once had. There are too many younger guys playing lights out now. I still enjoy watching Tiger play though.

kingfin66
03-11-2018, 12:30 PM
Golf has some great young stars, but none of them have the appeal of Tiger. What would be great would be to see Tiger engage in some final rounds with the Rory's and Jordan Speith's of the world. Age is age, and Tiger will not have a long run in him as far as winning a lot more tourneys, but golf fans should enjoy it while they can. This could be one of the more compelling Master's in years. Or, perhaps we have gotten ahead of ourselves. We will know very soon. I wrote him off in this very thread and am happy that I may be wrong. And this from someone who is not a particularly huge Tiger fan.

Dave Schwartz
03-11-2018, 12:48 PM
I expect ratings will be huge tomorrow. It would not be hard to imagine the ratings for tomorrow's final round surpassing those of the last several years' majors. Tiger Woods is golf.

One can only hope.

Personally, I have never been a golfer but have been a fan.

Actually used to play EA Sports Tiger Woods game to the point of near-addiction.

I root for the guy just as I did Pete Rose. Both have endured a lot for their mistakes.

GO TIGER!

Lemon Drop Husker
03-11-2018, 12:50 PM
Aren't a lot of sports similar in this respect. When the Patriots are playing all you hear is Brady, Brady. Tiger accomplished so much early in his career, its no wonder he draws crowds and attention. Nicklaus did the same right up till he retired. Ratings are everything in survival for the networks and their programing. Golf needs Tiger whether people like him or not.
He'll never regain the success he once had. There are too many younger guys playing lights out now. I still enjoy watching Tiger play though.

Tiger did things I never thought possible.

Shot a 40 on the front 9 of his 1997 Masters victory in which he set records that will stand for a long while (20 years thus far). Augusta ended up Tiger-proofing the course by adding rough and other things.

He won the U.S. Open at Pebble Beach at 12 under par while the entire rest of the field was 15 or more shots behind. His bogey free 67 in that final round when everybody else could barely manage to shoot par is one of the greatest rounds of golf I've ever watched. Simply phenomenal considering the circumstance and moment.

His 2008 US Open win at Torrey Pines, his last Major win, and maybe best, was done on one leg. He had to have 2 surgeries on his knee after that one, and unfortunately, has never been the same (sans Waffle House hookers and the like). ;)

And then you have stuff like this that just aren't even possible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNjwg2DPNZ0

And more. The last one, at 213 yards out of a bunker with a 6 iron completely over water to a tucked pin. The most incredible golf shot I've seen in my life. Sure, people can try to hit that shot, and maybe 1 in 1,000,000 have the talent and ability to pull it off, but he did it on the 18th hole. On a Sunday. To win a PGA tournament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2AvRfxgpL4

NJ Stinks
03-11-2018, 02:07 PM

I agree with you.

It's not a case of me not liking Woods. Hell, I bet on Tiger and he won for me in years gone by. I just dislike TV coverage that treats viewers like morons.

upthecreek
03-11-2018, 05:50 PM
http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/22724675/tiger-woods-odds-win-masters-10-1-amid-valspar-championship-run

AndyC
03-11-2018, 07:46 PM
He is 42 with several major surgeries behind him and his club head speed is the highest on tour or very close. Amazing.

He hit 129 on Saturday! If he can find the middle of the clubface he will win a lot of tournaments.

AndyC
03-11-2018, 07:54 PM
I agree with you.

It's not a case of me not liking Woods. Hell, I bet on Tiger and he won for me in years gone by. I just dislike TV coverage that treats viewers like morons.

How so? He is the most compelling story in sports. He has won about 24% of his PGA starts. He performance is like Secretariat in the Belmont. It would be moronic of the TV coverage not to focus on Tiger. The fans showing up this week in person doubled expectations. And they came out for one reason- Tiger.

jocko699
03-11-2018, 08:53 PM
One can only hope.

Actually used to play EA Sports Tiger Woods game to the point of near-addiction.

I root for the guy just as I did Pete Rose. Both have endured a lot for their mistakes.

GO TIGER!

Dave,

EA Sports Tiger Woods, I was finally winning 72 hole tournaments when they stopped the game online.

You are spot on about watching Tiger and other phenomenal athletes. I watched Barry Sanders and Gretzky just because I hoped to see something truly great.

I have a few Tiger stories but I will share this one to my fellow veteran.

I was a pretty good golfer in high school, not pro caliber, but I would consistently shoot in the 70's. We played the championship tees on the varsity team and some courses could be extremely difficult.

There was a course in Riverside California, El Rivino, that held an annual high school tournament. The course played around 7,000 yards which in the early 80's was extremely long. Typically 54 teams or so competed and a top 30 finish was a good finish for my high school.

The first hole was a Par 6, yes a Par 6, that if I remember was about 760 yards or so. My senior year my buddy and I were still hammered when we teed off and my tee shot on one went about 20 yards. 18 holes later after carding a 110 I knew that drinking before playing was idiotic. BTW, my golf coach was not happy, lol.

Forward to 1988 and I am in Hawaii on my first Naval ship. I happen to call my golf coach, we became extremely close, and asked how the team was doing. He said they had played at El Rivino last week in the tournament and finished 17th. I congratulated him on the team's success and asked what was the low individual score. He said 66.

66? On this course, man that is unbelievable. I asked him what school did the medalist go to and he said he did not. I thought that meant the kid was in between transfers and wasn't eligible to "officially" compete yet. Of course after more discussion he told me it was that kid Tiger Woods who was invited to play with a coach from Cypress, California. He was 12, playing from the championship tees, and beating some pretty good high school players.

Aloha,

Geoff

Dave Schwartz
03-11-2018, 09:01 PM
Great story, Geoff.

Nobody would ever consider me a golfer. Seriously, I mean not even close.

When I was in Northern Ireland as a teenager, I played golf with my cousin one day. (He was boys' national champion 2 years in a row.)

Two holes was all he could stand. After I hit my tee shot and couldn't find it (because I had driven it into the ground), with my cousin Tony rolling on around laughing, we decided that I should caddy for him.

The good news was that even caddies were allowed at the 19th hole.

(Fort William Golf Club, 1968)

Dave

jocko699
03-11-2018, 09:10 PM
Great story, Geoff.

Nobody would ever consider me a golfer. Seriously, I mean not even close.

When I was in Northern Ireland as a teenager, I played golf with my cousin one day. (He was boys' national champion 2 years in a row.)

Two holes was all he could stand. After I hit my tee shot and couldn't find it (because I had driven it into the ground), with my cousin Tony rolling on around laughing, we decided that I should caddy for him.

The good news was that even caddies were allowed at the 19th hole.

(Fort William Golf Club, 1968)

Dave

Dave,

If you can ever get to Scotland go to St. Andrews. I have played the old course twice but just walk around and enjoy the surroundings. With the North Sea just off the course it is such a wonderful place.

Aloha,

Geoff

NJ Stinks
03-11-2018, 11:33 PM
How so? He is the most compelling story in sports. He has won about 24% of his PGA starts. He performance is like Secretariat in the Belmont. It would be moronic of the TV coverage not to focus on Tiger. The fans showing up this week in person doubled expectations. And they came out for one reason- Tiger.

Before I answer your "How so?", I will say I thought NBC did a good job showing us other contenders today.

Now....Last season if I was watching a Marlins baseball game on TV and Giancarlo Stanton was on deck, I still wanted to watch Christian Yelich hit before him. Then when Yelich was done batting, I looked forward to seeing Stanton at bat.

That's the way it works watching a game being played. Watching Stanton warming up in the on deck circle makes no sense when Yelich is up at the plate.

In fact, it is on the 'moronic' side to appreciate watching Tiger contemplate his next shot rather than watching other players actually hit the freakin' ball! :mad:

:)

kingfin66
03-11-2018, 11:47 PM
One can only hope.

GO TIGER!

I thing Pete has endured more, but that is because he has refused to change his behavior. Tiger may or may not have changed his behavior, but his downturn has been more related to injuries than anything else. He would have been welcomed back with open arms if he were still able to be out there.

AndyC
03-12-2018, 11:04 AM
...In fact, it is on the 'moronic' side to appreciate watching Tiger contemplate his next shot rather than watching other players actually hit the freakin' ball! :mad::)

Golf tournaments aren't only shown live. In fact, most shots that are shown are done on a delay basis. So in reality very few shots are missed by other players in contention. You get the best of both worlds.

Dave Schwartz
03-12-2018, 11:31 AM
I thing Pete has endured more, but that is because he has refused to change his behavior. Tiger may or may not have changed his behavior, but his downturn has been more related to injuries than anything else. He would have been welcomed back with open arms if he were still able to be out there.

King,

I agree. From a financial POV, he's just good business.

Notice he's still wearing Nike.

On the 18th I found myself literally praying for him to make that long putt to tie it up. I think the last time I prayed for anything in the sports world was when we won the gold in hockey for the first time.

Dave

upthecreek
03-13-2018, 11:26 AM
https://twitter.com/FoxSportsRadio/status/973197517494960128

oughtoh
03-13-2018, 11:57 AM
King,

I agree. From a financial POV, he's just good business.

Notice he's still wearing Nike.

On the 18th I found myself literally praying for him to make that long putt to tie it up. I think the last time I prayed for anything in the sports world was when we won the gold in hockey for the first time.

Dave

You remember them winning in 1960 at Squaw. I was to young to know about it till San Diego got a hockey team and their goalie was the winning goalie from the Olympic team in 196o.

oughtoh
03-13-2018, 12:03 PM
I haven't watched golf in years but I watched all of it Sunday and I am not a Tiger fan. But if he wasn't up near the lead, I wouldn't have watched.

letswastemoney
03-13-2018, 12:23 PM
It seems like the fusion surgery worked, although he is too old to be a dominant player ever again. He can win a few tournaments.

oughtoh
03-13-2018, 12:34 PM
But as long he can compete in the top, more people will watch. I never cared for him, but I respect what he can do on the golf course. Growing up in San Diego, I have known of Tiger & Phil since they played in the Jr tournaments as kids. Tiger will get me to watch when he is playing.

AndyC
03-13-2018, 01:08 PM
It seems like the fusion surgery worked, although he is too old to be a dominant player ever again. He can win a few tournaments.

What is dominant? Is there a dominant player on tour today? I think Tiger can compete with the top players of today for the next 3-5 years, health permitting.

MutuelClerk
03-13-2018, 06:41 PM
Health permitting. Exactly. Seems he's at a very fine line now. He needs to compete to stay sharp. After all the surgeries and age sneaking up on him that can't be easy to do. He has to walk the line between practice and competition and hoping his body doesn't breakdown again.

IT would be great to see him having a chance on the back nine Masters Sunday. Personally I think he needs more confidence in his driver. The club head speed is a great, his short game is getting there. There is no dominant player today. Quite a few really good ones and the game seems to be a in very good place. Add Tiger to that recipe and you could see close to Super Bowl numbers if he has a chance at the Masters.

Dave Schwartz
03-13-2018, 10:53 PM
You remember them winning in 1960 at Squaw. I was to young to know about it till San Diego got a hockey team and their goalie was the winning goalie from the Olympic team in 196o.

They won gold in 1960?

I was not not aware of that. Had to look it up. You were right.

letswastemoney
03-16-2018, 11:11 AM
He's doing well again this week in the Arnold Palmer at -4, and that was with one double bogey. Let's see if he can keep the momentum going later today.

letswastemoney
03-16-2018, 04:50 PM
He's struggling a bit at +1 for the day and -3 overall. There's still a few holes left.

jocko699
03-16-2018, 11:27 PM
He's struggling a bit at +1 for the day and -3 overall. There's still a few holes left.

This was his off day, just grinded out his even par round. Man, Stenson is playing great though.

lansdale
03-18-2018, 05:08 PM
I see that this old thread came back to life, so just to note that Tiger is one stroke off the lead after 13 holes at the AP Invitational. Amazing if he takes this, but a strong showing regardless. Looks like he is back.

Valuist
03-25-2018, 08:47 PM
I don't bet golf, but seeing Tiger Woods recently, he looks ripped.....like he did 12-15 years ago.

letswastemoney
04-03-2018, 10:43 AM
Any thoughts on Tiger on this Masters week? I say he makes a threatening move a few shots off the lead on Saturday, and then "flattens out" on Sunday when the pressure is on.

MutuelClerk
04-03-2018, 08:27 PM
This has the potential to be one of the best Masters ever. Couple weeks ago I didn't really like Tiger's chances. He was hitting that driving iron off the tee about 275, I figured he was spotting these guys too many yards off the tee box. I'm hearing he now has a new shaft in his driver and is hitting it real well. Rory, Dustin, Jordan, Justin, Jason, all these young players who have emerged to the top. The old vets drinking from the fountain of youth Tiger and Phil. Personally I like the exacta box of Bubba and Justin Rose and will be playing DK accordingly. Can't wait. If Tiger is in the hunt on the back nine Sunday no matter who the competition is it will be great. If he's battling with a few of the a fore mentioned players. It will be classic. Can't wait.

MutuelClerk
04-04-2018, 06:32 PM
No dilly dilly.

So silly silly.....

JerryBoyle
04-05-2018, 01:33 PM
Why is the Thurs/Fri coverage of the Masters so terrible? Golf Channel airs "Live from the Masters" for like 10hrs. Can't they just cover the tourney instead? What bs is going on with the broadcast rights?

incoming
04-05-2018, 02:19 PM
Why is the Thurs/Fri coverage of the Masters so terrible? Golf Channel airs "Live from the Masters" for like 10hrs. Can't they just cover the tourney instead? What bs is going on with the broadcast rights?

streaming live http://www.masters.com/en_US/watch/index.html

JerryBoyle
04-07-2018, 11:37 PM
streaming live http://www.masters.com/en_US/watch/index.html

Thanks. Man, he looked awful. Couldn't get a thing going

tucker6
04-08-2018, 06:43 AM
Thanks. Man, he looked awful. Couldn't get a thing going

Shot even par at the Masters after having his 4th back surgery last spring. Started playing competitively in January. I'd say it was a successful return to golf. Some people have greater expectations than Tiger himself does.

JerryBoyle
04-08-2018, 10:20 AM
Shot even par at the Masters after having his 4th back surgery last spring. Started playing competitively in January. I'd say it was a successful return to golf. Some people have greater expectations than Tiger himself does.

Yeah, true. I suppose I should remind myself of that more often

Marshall Bennett
04-08-2018, 12:26 PM
Plus the cameras follow him around like he's the pope. He stays under the microscope. Every shot is expected to be his best.
Tiger's good for the game, but somewhere a line needs drawn with coverage and expectations. He plays knowing full well what's expected of him. The competition is greater than its ever been also. Lots of younger talent that are really good and winning a lot.

letswastemoney
04-08-2018, 08:12 PM
He made the cut at least lol. I don't think he's far off, but he does seem to waste a lot of good opportunities.

MutuelClerk
04-08-2018, 08:30 PM
Tiger picked the wrong week to play poorly. He stunk on par 5's and put it in the drink twice on the shortest hole on the course. His best major chance might be the US Open. Leave the driver in the bag. Hit it in the fairway and gut your way around. At least Tiger didn't whiff this week....lol

FakeNameChanged
04-08-2018, 09:11 PM
Tiger picked the wrong week to play poorly. He stunk on par 5's and put it in the drink twice on the shortest hole on the course. His best major chance might be the US Open. Leave the driver in the bag. Hit it in the fairway and gut your way around. At least Tiger didn't whiff this week....lol
Oh, please. So the tournament where often par +/- 1 for the tournament wins is his best chance? No, he didn't whiff, but expecting Tiger to win a major at his age, number of surgeries, time off, and added pressure is not realistic. And I'm rooting for him to at least win again, but not a Major. I might add, that if Tiger could win a major, it would be the PGA. The PGA is typically set up for players to make good scores.

Buckeye
04-08-2018, 09:22 PM

How bout his Eagle put on 15?

Way to go Tiger!

MutuelClerk
04-08-2018, 09:24 PM
I didn't say he would win. I think US Open is his best chance to win. I'm not sure he ever wins again let alone a major either. I'd love to see it and I'm rooting for him. Guess we disagree on how he'll win. Going low he can't drive with these guys and out birdie them anymore. When the score is around par I think it gives a banged up older Tiger a better chance to win.

JustRalph
04-08-2018, 10:51 PM
Is it me or are these new young guys in the best shape I have ever seen a pro golfer?

Fowler, Spieth et al......all look like they are in great shape

tucker6
04-09-2018, 07:07 AM

The problem with your suggestion is that the US Open is often the longer courses with 500 yard par 4's. It hard to make birdie when you have a 3 or 4 iron in your hand in the fairway. I should know. I use those clubs a lot and rarely see the green after my second shot... or third lol.

tucker6
04-09-2018, 07:10 AM
Is it me or are these new young guys in the best shape I have ever seen a pro golfer?

Fowler, Spieth et al......all look like they are in great shape

Credit Tiger for that. The likes of Craig "walrus" Stadler and John Daly are thankfully fewer and further between.

rastajenk
04-09-2018, 07:49 AM
Shinnecock Hills was just under 7000 yds in 2004, which these days doesn't seem very long. But the course's website says the 2018 yardage is "to be announced." :popcorn:
https://www.shinnecockhillsgolfclub.org/course

098poi
04-09-2018, 08:46 AM
On another minor note, congratulations to Patrick Reed!! He's not the most popular player but he brought it and closed the deal. :ThmbUp:

tucker6
04-09-2018, 09:29 AM
On another minor note, congratulations to Patrick Reed!! He's not the most popular player but he brought it and closed the deal. :ThmbUp:

his putting was phenomenal under pressure

kingfin66
04-10-2018, 12:48 AM

That is an understatement. It sounds as though his lack of popularity extends from fans to other players and especially his family. To say say that he is modest would also be an understatement.

NJ Stinks
04-10-2018, 02:07 AM
Credit Tiger for that. The likes of Craig "walrus" Stadler and John Daly are thankfully fewer and further between.

1. I think Tiger used something to bulk up. And he's paying for it now with all these injuries IMO. So I'm not "crediting" Tiger because guys in their 20's look like guys in their 20's.

2. I much prefer golfers who don't suddenly move from split end to a middle linebacker. That includes offensive tackles and guards who remain offensive linemen like Stadler and Daly.

But that's me.

NJ Stinks
04-10-2018, 02:16 AM
That is an understatement. It sounds as though his lack of popularity extends from fans to other players and especially his family. To say say that he is modest would also be an understatement.

Reed said: "No one expects me to go out and win. I expect myself to go out and win."

Is that a cocky statement? Because he says stuff like this a lot.

Personally, I think he believes what he said above is true but I also think most of us and his opponents out on the course knew this guy was going to be mighty tough to catch yesterday.

incoming
04-10-2018, 04:06 AM
Reed was one of the few that chose to attack the course instead of thinking his way around the links. This week it worked. Damp conditions on Saturday helped. The course was also setup very forgiving on Sunday especially when compared to Thursday and Friday.

I agree Tiger is done, for him to reach the pinnacle he had
achieved in the past would be a miracle especially with this crowd and today's equipment.

headhawg
04-10-2018, 07:51 AM
In more important golf news, Ricky Fowler is dating Allison Stokke the Internet-famous pole vaulter.

Sample vaults

MutuelClerk
04-10-2018, 08:08 AM
Damn, impressive headhawg thank you. So many pole jokes available. I'll take the high road and pass. Ricky Fowler is a lucky guy.

headhawg
04-10-2018, 09:29 AM
So many pole jokes available. I'll take the high road and pass.:) I am setting someone up on a...um...tee. :p

incoming
04-10-2018, 10:11 AM
:) I am setting someone up on a...um...tee. :p

OK...I'll play

How many Poles does it take to change a light bulb?

four

One to hold the bulb

three to turn the bed. :lol::lol:

kingfin66
04-11-2018, 09:56 AM
There is lots of stuff out there if you are interested. Taking nothing away from his golf game and his win, but anybody who follows gold knows that he is arrogant. I am short of time this morning, but here is one link. Like I said, there is tons of stuff out there. Trust me as someone who is a golf fan, he is not popular.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/golf/943327/Patrick-Reed-Masters-2018-Green-Jacket

Also, it was noteworthy, at least to me, that when he won the Masters none of his fellow players were there to congratulate him. At least not that I saw.

JerryBoyle
04-11-2018, 11:30 AM
There is lots of stuff out there if you are interested. Taking nothing away from his golf game and his win, but anybody who follows gold knows that he is arrogant. I am short of time this morning, but here is one link. Like I said, there is tons of stuff out there. Trust me as someone who is a golf fan, he is not popular.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/golf/943327/Patrick-Reed-Masters-2018-Green-Jacket

Also, it was noteworthy, at least to me, that when he won the Masters none of his fellow players were there to congratulate him. At least not that I saw.

Bubba Watson was there. Tells you all you need to know haha

FakeNameChanged
04-11-2018, 06:03 PM

I saw Ricky Fowler, Rory McIlroy, possibly Spieth, and a few others congratulate him as he walked off the 18th. If you remember, Nicklaus while he was playing was not overly popular with the other players, but that changed during his later years and certainly now. Everyone back then loved Arnie, Watson, Trevino, and quite a few others over Jack.