PDA

View Full Version : Radio show

andicap
08-17-2004, 01:22 PM
what do you think handicappers would look for in a daily (or maybe less) handicapping show of either 15-min or 30 min?

-- picks? say best longshots at tracks around the country or best bets (other than obviously 3-5 horses) or false favorites to go against, etc.
-- interviews with top handicappers/trainers/jockeys?
-- call-ins?
-- analysis of top stakes races throughout the country that day?
-- (if a two-person format). debate on a major topic of the day like drugs, or using a whip, or increasing the weights on jockeys, or some claiming rule being changed, etc.
-- (if two-person show) lively debate on feature races that day around the country.
-- handicapping tips. (How to improve YOUR game)
-- other.
-- a combination of the above (if so, which ones)

obviously there would be less material in a shorter show, so prioritize it.

kenwoodallpromos
08-17-2004, 02:05 PM
top picks and background related to those picks. I personally
get tired of just all the card's picks and 1 sentence of obvious prattle.
I would like to hear a track's top trainers and their strategy on how they will size up and place horses for an upcoming meet.

PaceAdvantage
08-17-2004, 05:51 PM
Interviews with other WINNING players....

JimG
08-17-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
Interviews with other WINNING players....

I'm not just kissing your butt because your the boss here, but that was a GREAT REPLY.

Jim

Tom
08-17-2004, 08:58 PM
Remeber the ole Sports Channel show with Harvey Pack, when it ws 45 minutes? Stuff like he had from his guests-handicapping ideas, how other guys handicap, analysis of upcoming stakes, etc.
Oh yeah, and a "War Room" call-in segment!:eek:

Zaf
08-17-2004, 09:01 PM
I actually like the Roger Stein Show :eek: , I find it entertaining. He has some good handicappers on the show, he has good interviews, Baffert, Mullins , Mandella, Bailey, Valerie Valenzuela etc. Another show like that would be cool.

ZAFONIC

ceejay
08-18-2004, 10:54 AM
Andy,

I would think that a 2-person show would be more interesting than a solo, because racing is about opinions.

Have you ever seen TVG's "Blinker's off," which kicks off their Friday programming? It is 10 minutes (commercial-free) with discussion of major weekend races, an issue and a best bet. Hosts are Watchmaker and Carothers.

I think that basic format, along with a interview 5-minute interview segment and commercials would make for a 20-minute or so show.

stuball
08-18-2004, 10:58 AM
****On site interviews at the PA Saratoga Getaway 2004****

Stuball

(Am I excited about going or what....seriously I would have loved to hear interviews from last year...)

BillW
08-18-2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by ceejay
Andy,

I would think that a 2-person show would be more interesting than a solo, because racing is about opinions.

Have you ever seen TVG's "Blinker's off," which kicks off their Friday programming? It is 10 minutes (commercial-free) with discussion of major weekend races, an issue and a best bet. Hosts are Watchmaker and Carothers.

I think that basic format, along with a interview 5-minute interview segment and commercials would make for a 20-minute or so show.

Yes on the Blinkers Off, but ditch the faux attitude thing that really ruins an otherwise good segment. We get enough of that crap from ESPN and FOX.

Andi,

Are you thinking over the air or Internet based (not simulcast over internet but internet only)? I would think an Internet only operation would be easier to finance and certainly reach a broader audience along with the associated freedom from commercial pressures, time constraints etc.

I'm kind of surprised that with all the criticism of TVG that is posted on the site, that you haven't received a better response to this thread?! :confused:

Bill

andicap
08-18-2004, 11:43 AM
I'm not thinking anything yet -- just doing good old fashioned leg-work before even thinking about doing something. And who knows I might even get a real job that would kill any ancillary projects.

I've been in radio before-- had a talk show a long long time ago (small market) and love the medium, but everyone and their brother is trying to do this stuff so it's an uphill climb unless you know someone.

I agree a two-person show is much more entertaining and I agree with all the suggestions presented thus far.

If you did picks on a show they'd have to be "alternative" picks, that is, trying to beat the favorite.

BillW
08-18-2004, 11:49 AM
This sounds like a great topic to aid in the ingestion of a few beers at the Spa :D

JimG
08-18-2004, 05:32 PM
anybody remember the radio show "The Starting Gate", with Dave Guetfreund (sp)? He had a good bit about handicapping so I found it more interesting that the usual drivel with racing personalities.

Jim