PDA

View Full Version : The Real Deal.....Troop pullout

JustRalph
08-17-2004, 12:24 AM
anybody want to take a crack at what is really behind this? I think I know.........and it goes back about 2 years...........

Bush outlines massive troop shuffle
Last Updated Mon, 16 Aug 2004 21:33:50
WASHINGTON - U.S. President George W. Bush is pulling 60,000 to 70,000 American troops out of central Europe and Asia, redeploying them on American soil and in eastern Europe.

The withdrawal will take up to a decade and will include the repatriation of 100,000 family members and support personnel, Bush told a conference of military veterans in Cincinnati on Monday.

George Bush speaks to veterans in Cincinnati, Ohio
"The world has changed a great deal and our posture must change with it, for the sake of our military families, for the sake of our taxpayers," Bush said.

"The new plan will help us fight and win the wars of the 21st century."

About 13,000 troops will leave South Korea, where 37,000 soldiers are now stationed.

Most of the others will withdraw from American bases in Germany as the United States scales back organizational structures left over from the Cold War.

The bases were set up after the Second World War, when the main enemies of the U.S. were countries in the former Soviet bloc.

Russia is now an ally, while a loose coalition of militant groups led by Osama bin Laden's al-Qaeda is seen as the greatest threat to U.S. citizens and business interests.

Bush released details of the troop realignment at a campaign speech to 15,000 delegates at a Veterans of Foreign Wars convention in Cincinnati.

He also used the opportunity to underline his administration's increased financial support for veterans and serving soldiers alike, and boast about his record of bringing about regime change in Afghanistan and Iraq after the 2001 terrorist attacks against the United States.

The President said his government remains committed to tracking down militants abroad. "We must continue to aggressively pursue them and defeat them in foreign lands so that we do not have to face them here at home," he said to applause from the veterans.

Many of the returning troops will be stationed at bases in the U.S. to shore up homeland security. Others will end up serving in eastern Europe or in the Middle East, where they can be quickly deployed to trouble spots.

About 200,000 members of the American armed forces serve overseas in places other than Iraq and Afghanistan, the current mission priorities of the U.S.

Another 140,000 soldiers are stationed in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Bush's opponent, Democrat John Kerry, has said he will bring home some troops from Iraq within six months of taking office.

Saying that kind of statement "sends the wrong message" to militants and peace-loving Iraqi citizens alike, Bush vowed: "We will stay until the job is completed."

Bush's claim that the realignment of troops will save money and make America safer was immediately attacked by Richard Holbrooke, the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations under former Democratic president Bill Clinton.

Holbrooke said the move will create massive organizational chaos at a precarious time, given terrorist threats against American interests around the world, and will cost billions of dollars that could be better spent.

kenwoodallpromos
08-17-2004, 01:48 PM
Bush's political ambition is behind every military or foreign affairs decision Bush makes. That is why he picked Rice and Powell.
Bush refused to rule out use of nuclear weapons vs. Iraq and Osama because he knew he could get millions of radical liberal peacenik votes by rattling the nuclear sword and threatening all who do not kiss our ass.
If that is not believeable, maybe we just do not need 100,000 troops in areas where we stopped fighting 50-60 years ago.
Thanks to all the cutbacks, we still take 1-2 weeks to deploy troops and equiptment to hot spots.
Now the same liberals who forced cutbacks are bitching about us not zipping around Africa to jump into every trouble area there at a moment's notice. They want things 3 different ways but will not even show up to congress for meetings or votes.

Steve 'StatMan'
08-17-2004, 03:08 PM
I'm guessing since Europe (France, Germany & Belgium) opposed the coaliltion, the may been a factor, wanting to go their own way while we support them with U.S. troops in country. On the other hand, those 3 countries seem to get along finally (Thank God! - my ancestors were Belgian & German), so at this time, there doesn't seem to be a great need to keep them from fighting each other again. So if we're not needed so heavily there, and can't get an aggrement on important issues (it DID seem damn important at the time), then our people, efforts and money can sure be put to good use elsewhere.

Tom
08-17-2004, 09:08 PM
It costs money to keep our troops in a foreign country, and that country profits by it. Is it any wonder we are less willing to support "old" Europe any longer?
Beside, if Russia ever did decide to invade France, why would we want to intervene anyway? I say these old countries are on their own.
Ken, Bush is not doing this for political reasons-he is structuring our troops to give our country maximum prtection. I think the underlying theme here is no more free lunches for the Euro-trash.
(for those unable to understand, this is two thoughts in one post-one general, one directed to Ken specifically. Read slowly).

Lance
08-17-2004, 10:07 PM
Tom wrote:

"for those unable to understand, this is two thoughts in one post"

Do it while chewing gum and you'll beat expectations, Tom.

kenwoodallpromos
08-18-2004, 12:39 AM
I guess I will have to take all these threads seriously...

kenwoodallpromos
08-18-2004, 02:53 PM
I just heard on Fox news that a couple of weeks ago Kerry suggested troop pullouts, but now that Bush is saying it Kerry says now we need more troops in N Korea.
I think both Bush and Kerry are 2 idiots playing Yale one-up-manship and the media is being played for suckers.

Tom
08-18-2004, 08:02 PM
The troop pullout is neither political nor is it "sudden" as Kerry is saying. It was planned befreo 9-11 and was put on hold. Military brass have called Kerry off base and livin g in the past with his criticisms. When you look at the plans, they make perfect sense. Even Wolf Blitzer seemed to think it was a no-brainer today when he grilled the former General, pres-wannabe that got 4 votes in the primaries this spring.
For a potential leader, Kerry seems to very reactionary and not at all proactive. Not leadership qualities.